none
EPM Career RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm Patrick from India working in a MNC.

I'm a 22yr graduate who recently landed a job in EPM. I'm currently working as an admin and Support personnel in EPM solutions (for the past 6 months). However, I would like to what are my career options to advance in this field and guidelines to be a competent EPM analyst. I'm quite new to EPM. Please help out. Thanks in advance.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:18 PM

All replies

• Patrick,

Welcome to the world of EPM! This field is a rare one where you require a lot of different skill set. Here are few pointers that I hope will help.

• As a first step, understand that EPM is NOT limited to just being a technical administrator of project Server. EPM is more about helping customers achieve their organization project management goals through a combination of processes, training, change management, and obviously technical work.
    • Secondly, get a grip on the project management fundamentals. You cannot empathize with a Client's issue if you do not understand what project management is all bout. I would even venture out to suggest that if possible, take up the role of a project coordinator or manager for a while. A lot of us you see in this forum and the EPM world have spent quite a bit of time as project managers first.
    • Understand the technology: you needs to know some about Windows Servers, SQL Server, Business Intelligence, Network and Infrastructure while being an expert on Project and SharePoint Servers.
    • Read a lot: there is a ton of excellent material out there for EPM/Project Server. I would suggest following all the Blogs , especially all MVPs, read all articles, and ANY information that comes out about Project/EPM/Project Server
    • Try and contribute. Blogs, Support forums etc., the more you try to contribute, the more you learn.
    • Get certified. Preparing for certification/and getting certified gives you the validation that your knowledge is real and can be applied.

I am sure the other experts in this forum could add more valuable suggestions, but here is my two cents. 

Hope this helps.

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:58 PM