none
An unexpected error occurred during command execution

Question

• I have a user who gets this error dialog:

"An unexpected error occurred during command execution.

Try the following:

Verify that all argument names and values are correct and are of the correct type.

You may have run out of memory. To free up available memory, close programs, projects, or windows that you aren't using."

The dialog shows up in Project Professional when opening up a project from cache (not from PWA). No other projects are open and there are no autorun macros. This happens only when opening up a project.

She is using Project 2007 SP1, Windows XP Pro. SP3. The machine has 2GB RAM and the only other application open is Outlook.

We tried Project 2007 SP2 but that cause some other issues. Anyone have any ideas on what the problem is?

Thanks

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 9:49 PM

Answers

• The FAQ refers to the amount of virtual memory, not to check whether there were any errors in RAM.

If you suspect a corrupt file, you could try the suggestions in FAQ Item: 43. Handling project file corruption and/or bloat.

However, if you’re using a server, before fiddling about with the global.mpt, try posting on the Project Server General Questions and Answers forum:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general.  Please see FAQ Item: 52 Find a Forum.   FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web address:  http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

Mike Glen
    Project MVP

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:09 PM

All replies

• Sounds like you have a ghost!  You need to reimage your application.  I would start with rebuilding Windows XP from scratch, but if too much try uninstalling and resinstalling Project 2007 first.  And you should apply SP2 and see if those issues are still there.

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Monday, December 13, 2010 6:07 PM
  • Hi watsi,

Welcome to this Microsoft Project newsgroup :-)

The only suggestion I can offer is contained in FAQ Item: 18. Memory Problems.

FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web address: http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on :-)

Mike Glen
    Project MVP
    Monday, December 13, 2010 6:56 PM
  • Thanks for your replies.

I have reinstalled Project 2007 + SP2 several times. No help. Memtest86+ reports no errors with the 2GB of RAM. Any other suggestions? Could this be related to the Global.MPT. The user has problems with the Global.MPT file in the past.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 12:48 AM
  • Watsi --

This shows that the project is correpted. If you try to open the other projects that will open as it is even they are having 2 to 3 sub projects.

While publishing the project the queue may be cancelled. The only option is to recover the Project by restoring the previously backup (before Issue Arises) in a test enviornment. This will have the previous days details only for Verfication. 

Restoring the backup MPP in production enviornment is not good for maintaining Uniqueness among the KEYID-ProjectUID. Dont know how project Server will respond if we override the backup copy in the production server.

Once backup and restore done manually then the uniqness between the Project, Task, Assignment, Timesheet and Sharepoint Site of the project could not be retained.

PWA >> Settings >> Administrative Restore may not work in all cases

Thanks...

Nalinkumarbalaji.S

Set your expectations high; find persons whose integrity and values you respect; get their agreement on a course of action; and give them your ultimate trust. - John Akers
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 5:07 AM
  • The FAQ refers to the amount of virtual memory, not to check whether there were any errors in RAM.

If you suspect a corrupt file, you could try the suggestions in FAQ Item: 43. Handling project file corruption and/or bloat.

However, if you’re using a server, before fiddling about with the global.mpt, try posting on the Project Server General Questions and Answers forum:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general.  Please see FAQ Item: 52 Find a Forum.   FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web address:  http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

Mike Glen
    Project MVP

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:09 PM
  • Watsi-

This error is displaying due to Project file Corrupt only. Try to post the same in the site (MikeGen) where you can get the answer.

Thanks...

Nalinkumarbalaji.S

Set your expectations high; find persons whose integrity and values you respect; get their agreement on a course of action; and give them your ultimate trust. - John Akers
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 9:24 AM
  • Thanks for everyone's help. I'll look into Project file corruption and restoration.

Thank you again.

Regards

Thursday, December 16, 2010 4:14 PM
  • You're welcome, Watsi :-)  I hope it all works out well for you.

Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP
    See  http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials

Friday, December 17, 2010 9:34 AM
  • Wasti-

You are welcome :)

Thanks...

Nalinkumarbalaji.S

Monday, December 20, 2010 4:47 AM
  • hi - I had the same situation - a file wouldnt open with 2007 or 2010 verions of Project even with the latest hotfixes.

I've downloaded the trial version of Project 2013 before resorting to backup tapes and it opened without issue.

saved the file and 2010 was able to open it.

friends don't let friends do instant

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 10:48 PM