none
Custom View ID Numbering

Question

• I have found out how to create a custom filter, table, and view in MS Project 2016. This enables me to filter the tasks we want the customer to see. But the numbering clearly indicates there are tasks missing. I see that you can substitute manual numbering for the original ID, but there is not a number schem that allows for continuous numbering in my custom view. I have also read that this may be possible using a Macro, but I am not familiar with how to do this. Would anyone be able to provide the macro along with quick note how to apply it.

Thanks,

Friday, April 19, 2019 11:50 AM

All replies

• Charlie150,

Here's a bit of code that applies sequential numbers to the visible tasks - in custom field Number1.

Sub NumberRows()
    'This procedure assigns sequential (row) numbers
    'to the custom Number1 field of the tasks visible
    'in the current view. Execute this from inside a task table.

Dim t As Task
    Dim k As Long
        Application.SelectAll
        For Each t In ActiveSelection.Tasks
            If Not t Is Nothing Then
                k = k + 1
                t.Number1 = k
            End If
        Next t
    End Sub

It may be useful to introduce this kind of sequential row numbering - in addition to TaskID and UniqueID fields - to clarify communications, particularly when the ID fields are obscured by other characteristics of the view.  I'm afraid that your stated purpose - to hide information from the customer - is short-sited and will likely backfire in the long run.

Good luck, tom

Friday, April 19, 2019 2:13 PM
  • That's a good trick. I usually just delete the ID column from the table or set column width to 0.
    Saturday, April 20, 2019 7:42 AM