none
Counting and distribution of remaining hours in PS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

I could use a help, if anyone knows how Project Server distributes hours that remained after adding actual hours for some task.

For example, I had planned 24 hours for some task. Duration of the task is 3 days.

Number of planned hours per day is 8, and that is ok.

But when I add actual hours for the first day, and it is for example 5 hours, than the project recalculate remaining hours and I couldn't find what logic or formulas it uses.

Do you know how these remaining hours are counted and distributed by days and is there a way I could by myself determine the rule for automatic distribution of remaining hours per days until finish date ?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Sanja

Friday, May 19, 2017 1:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

if you enter 5 hrs on first day and click on Save, Remaining Work will be set to 19h. How these 19 hours are distributed depends on Task Type as set by project manager.

See my sample:

• For task types "Fixed Work" and "Fixed Units", the remaining work is respecting the 100% assignment units (8hrs/day). (Fixed Units, becaus it is fixed units, Fixed Work, since changing work of as task with task type "Fixed Work" will behave like task type "Fixed Units". To distribute 19hrs causes 8hrs on the next two days and the remaining work of 3 hours on the third day.
    • For task type "Fixed Duration", the distribution is slightly different: Scheduling engines tries to keep Fixed Duration, and that was 3 days in my sample. So the remaining 19hrs are distributed over the remaining 2 days - making 9.5 hrs on both days.

Does this explain what you are seeing?

Barbara

Friday, May 19, 2017 1:37 PM