none
Switch Generic to Enterprise resource RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

We have a team member that has previous experiance in another company using Project Online. He has told us that it is possible to drop down from the resource field and switch a Generic resource to a Enterprise resource. I am unable to find out how this is possible after a good few hours of reading up. Is he sending me on a wild goose-chase or am i missing a feature in Project.

Looking forward to your responses

Many thanks 

AJ 

Monday, May 18, 2020 8:46 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

You can replace a resource on an assignment or on the entire project from MS Project/Build team. Is it what you are looking for?

See the procedure below:

https://www.mpug.com/articles/how-to-replace-generic-resources-with-named-resources/

https://ppmworks.com/replacing-resources-in-microsoft-project/

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by A.W Johnston Wednesday, May 20, 2020 10:54 PM
    Monday, May 18, 2020 9:40 AM
  • AJ --

In the world of Project Online, there are two general types of resources:  enterprise and local.  An enterprise resource is any resource stored in the Enterprise Resource Pool in Project Online.  An local resource is a resource NOT stored in the Enterprise Resource Pool, but was manually typed by the PM in the Resource Sheet view of an enterprise project.

In the world of enterprise resources, Work resources can either be Generic or non-Generic.  People generally refer to non-Generic resources as either Human resources or Named resources.  Generic resources are skill-based or placeholder resources, such as SQL Server DBA, for example.  Human or Named resources are real people, such as Mickey Cobb, for example.

Once your application administrator has created an enterprise Work resource, the system "locks in" whether the resource is Generic or Human. After that, it is not possible to change a Generic resource to a Human resource, and vice versa.

Does that make sense?  Let us  know and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, May 19, 2020 6:13 PM
  • Thanks Dale 

This Fourm comes to my rescue once again!

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 10:55 PM