none
DFS Private folder on 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Bit of background. There were 2 server in a DFS setup, one in each site. The server in the DR site had some issues and was eventually shut down (for months) and then forcibly removed from DFS (namespace, replication etc. from the PR DFS console).

That's fine and the single working server is going well.

However, that single working server has about 100GB in the System Volume information folder, which is about 3.5GB in staging for each of the DFS share's and a bit in each conflict and deleted.

This is not going down, having removed the partner server.

I need a way to manually delete this stuff, because it's stuck there and 100GB is too much disk to lose. But all documentation says to never touch anything in here.

Any ideas what I can do? The decommissioned server isn't coming back - so I just want to clear the DFSR Private Staging / Conflict and Deleted folders.

Thanks

James

Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:17 PM

All replies

• Full path, for example, just for clarity...

x:\System Volume Information\DFSR\Private\{aa111aaa-2323-2345-123A-A123465}-{bbbbbbbb-2222-2222-2222-2231423424f}\Staging\

3.5GB = ContentSet{aa111aaa-2323-2345-123A-A123465}--{bbbbbbbb-2222-2222-2222-2231423424f} folder

450mb = ConflictAndDeleted

There are about 20 / 30 of these folder (one for each DFS share) and all of those which had a sync to the now disabled server have - so the just about 4GB soon adds up!

Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:27 PM
  • Hello,

Something here might help Manually Clearing the ConflictAndDeleted Folder in DFSR

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:58 PM
  • Hi,

How is your situation now?

If the content in the "conflict and deleted folder" are not needed, we can clear them to save the space.

You can refer to the way provided by Leon:Manually Clearing the ConflictAndDeleted Folder in DFSR

Best Regards,

Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, October 11, 2019 5:35 AM
  • Of the 100GB or so, ConflictAndDeleted only accounts for 5-10% at most. The rest is in staging and this does not address that folder at all.

Any ideas on how I would clear that?

I will be running through the ConflicAndDeleted stuff today, perhaps on only one folder to see how it goes - but as this is not where the bulk of the space is I am not in a hurry to do this one.

Any info on how I would clear the following in our situation?

x:\System Volume Information\DFSR\Private\{aa111aaa-2323-2345-123A-A123465}-{bbbbbbbb-2222-2222-2222-2231423424f}\Staging\ContentSet{aa111aaa-2323-2345-123A-A123465}--{bbbbbbbb-2222-2222-2222-2231423424f} 

Thanks - J

Friday, October 11, 2019 9:08 AM
  • If the secondary (partner member) has been removed from the replication group, and you're not using the DFS Replication group anymore, you can simply stop the DFS-R service or remove the Role, and finally just delete the DFSRPrivate folder.

The only things really stored in that folder are the staging files (files currently in transfer), conflicting files, and possibly deleted files.

You might need to take ownership of the DFSRPrivate folder and subfolders.

Friday, October 11, 2019 9:14 AM
  • Unfortunately it's not as simple as that, but I wish it was.

90% of the shares on this server were DFS'd between ServerA (this server) and ServerB (dead server). However, the other 10% are between ServerC, ServerD, ServerE etc.

So actually blowing away DFS on ServerA is unfortunately not an option.

Would stopping DFS services on ServerA and manually clearing out the Staging folder mentioned above for the shares that were only going to ServerB cause issues or is that the way to do this?

Cheers - J

Friday, October 11, 2019 9:25 AM
  • You are mixing up two different things here, DFS Namespace and DFS Replication are two separate roles.

DFS Namespace is used to group shared folders located on different servers into one or more logically structured namespaces. This makes it possible to give users a virtual view of shared folders, where a single path leads to files located on multiple servers.

DFS Replication is simply a replication from a server to another, or between each other.

Friday, October 11, 2019 9:46 AM
  • I'm pretty green with DFS I'm happy to admit - but I don't think I'm confused here - more likely I'm explaining it poorly.

Share1 = ServerA + ServerB (dead server)

Share2 = ServerA + ServerC (still active)

Share3 = ServerA + ServerB (Dead server)

Share4 = ServerA + ServerD (still active)

Etc.

If I was to remove DFS from ServerA, would it not mess up Share2 and Share4 which are still active and working?

• Edited by Jaymz 6 Friday, October 11, 2019 10:14 AM
    Friday, October 11, 2019 10:14 AM
  • Thanks for providing more information.

The DFSRPrivate folder is only part of the replication group(s) made within the DFS Replication, and your query was about the DFSRPrivate folder correct? As they were taking up a lot of disk space.

If a certain DFS Replication group is not used anymore, or has been removed, then you can safely remove the contents within the DFSRPrivate folder that was in the DFS Replication group.

The shares you're talking about are DFS Namespaces, so you have something like:

DFS Namespace:

• \\domain.com\DFS\Share1

So for example Share1 is located on two (2) servers, ServerA and ServerB (dead).

What I assumed earlier was if you're were using DFS Replication, but you're not using the DFS Replication anymore, then this role (DFS Replication role) can be removed.

However if you're still using it then of course you shouldn't remove the role.

I'm not talking about removing the DFS Namespace role,you will need the DFS Namespace role to access your Share1 or \\domain.com\dfs\Share1

Friday, October 11, 2019 10:52 AM
  • Cool - I will schedule having a go at blowing one (private staging folder) away next week and see how I get on.

Thanks for your assistance and I will report back once I have had a window to have a go at this.

Friday, October 11, 2019 5:06 PM
  • Sounds good, you're welcome!

Friday, October 11, 2019 5:07 PM