none
HYPER-V Windows 10 Ubuntu 18.04 folder sharing problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running Ubuntu 18.04 on Windows 10 (64bit 1903 fully patched) without problems.  In order to expand storage independently of the system disk, I have added a second virtual Hard Drive on the SCSI controller.

I have created a new partition and set this to auto-mount at the same time as the main VM.  I have created new folders on the new VHD and set one of these to share.  Looking from inside the VM, the new Shared folder has the same settings (ownership & permissions) as the existing shared folders on main virtual machine (e.g. Documents and Downloads) and I can also see the Share name if I browse My Network in File Explorer. 

However, while any Share on the main VM is accessible from the host system, the share on the new VHD is not:

Windows cannot access \\Ubuntu\Shared

You do not have permission to access \\Ubuntu\Shared. Contact your network administrator to request access.

If I look at the properties - Security tab for a working share I see 

where martin (Unix User\martin) is also the owner.  

However if I create a share on the new VHD

And if I go to Advanced "Unable to display current owner" > Change does allow any new owner to be found or set.

Is it possible to access a VM share if it is not on the main drive of the VM?

If it is how and where do I need to set the permissions?

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 4:47 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

>>Is it possible to access a VM share if it is not on the main drive of the VM?

Since I am not familiar with Ubuntu system ,I have test in my lab using windows operation system with the following steps:

1.Added a second virtual Hard Drive on the SCSI controller.

2.Online the disk,  create new folder in the E drive and then share the folder.

3.I can access the file share from the host system.

Please check the martin (Unix User\martin) have the correct permission on the share folder.

>>If it is how and where do I need to set the permissions?

Since your query is more related with Ubuntu system, you might have this asked in the Linux and FreeBSD Virtual Machines on Hyper-V for better answers.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.
    Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Thursday, October 10, 2019 8:00 AM
  • Hi Candy,

As you noted, I think the issue is Linux (possibly Ubuntu) specific. As I had not found the Linux and FreeBSD Virtual Machines on Hyper-V when I was looking where to ask, I will also post it there, but also leave it here, just in in case.

Kind  regards

Martin

• Marked as answer by msmulian Friday, October 11, 2019 9:14 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by msmulian Saturday, October 19, 2019 12:55 PM
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 10:33 AM
  • Hi Martin,

Since the question is more related with Ubuntu system, I would suggest you focus on the Linux and FreeBSD Virtual Machines on Hyper-V for better answers.

You could mark the useful reply as answer to help other community members find the helpful correct forum quickly.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Highly appreciate your effort and time.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Friday, October 11, 2019 1:53 AM