none
Copy tasks in MS Project 2007

Question

• Hi,

I work in project server 2007,

i want to copy a list of tasks available in one file and paste it in a new file with the same WBS in ms project .

I tried copying and paste it, but the indented tasks are not coming as it is.

All tasks are in the same outline level.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

K.Gokulraj
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:47 AM

Answers

• I do think this is appropriately placed, as it's a Project Pro functionality question, not server related.

Anyway, I suspect that you are copying and pasting just the task name cells.  In order to copy and paste and maintain the WBS hierarchy and other relationships, you need to copy and paste the entire task.  Be sure you select the entire row for each task when copying.

Terrie T - MCTS - PMP - MBA****PMO & Project Server Admin
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 4:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Gokulraj,

Firstly WBS depends on the location where you are pasting the tasks in new file, no matter even if they are at same outline number.

Say in current file they have WBS as : 2, 2.1, 2.3 [saying a Summary task with 2 sub tasks, so 2 mean outline 1 while 2.1 and 2.2 depicts next level of outline] now you paste the 3 tasks at say after 3rd Summary item, so now WBS would be like 4, 4.1, 4.2, though outline remained same for 3 tasks but WBS changed.

CTRL C & CTRL V works perfectly else you can try other Copy - paste options under Edit Menu or right click.

Sapna S
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:15 AM
  • Hi K.Gokulraj,

Next time, try posting on the Project Server General Questions and  Answers forum:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general . Please see FAQ Item: 52 Find a Forum.   FAQs, companion products and  other useful Project information can be seen at this web address: http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

Mike Glen
    Project MVP

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:17 PM
  • I do think this is appropriately placed, as it's a Project Pro functionality question, not server related.

Anyway, I suspect that you are copying and pasting just the task name cells.  In order to copy and paste and maintain the WBS hierarchy and other relationships, you need to copy and paste the entire task.  Be sure you select the entire row for each task when copying.

Terrie T - MCTS - PMP - MBA****PMO & Project Server Admin
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 4:55 PM
  • Hi,

To complete Terrie's answer in case you wouldn't know: you selct the entire task by selecting the ID field (grey cell left)

Greetings,

Thursday, October 06, 2011 5:04 PM
  • Thanks for your answer. It works now

K.Gokulraj
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:11 PM