none
Local Base Calendar questions RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a  reason to not use local base calendars especially when you have multiple project managers who will sometimes need to move working dates around?  either for weather issues or to match a clients holiday schedule?

I was just wondering since the option seems like it should be the default, but it did not come that way.

I also wanted to make sure that if we allow projects to use local base calendars that it will also upload that calendar to be used for anyone looking at the project.  

probably a fairly simple answer, I just wanted to be sure.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 8:48 PM

Answers

• efrizzell --

The use of local base calendars in a Project Server environment is strictly the decision of each organization.  There are certainly valid reasons for permitting them, such as when PMs need to be able to create their own custom local base calendars.  There are also valid reasons for denying their use, so that every project must be scheduled using a valid and tested base calendar created by the Project Server administrator.

Several years ago, I worked with an organization that initially forbid the use of local base calendars.  Because of this, the Project Server administrator was hit with dozens of requests for custom enterprise base calendars.  He found the process of creating and maintaining enterprise base calendars to be so much work that he gave up trying to control it, and enabled the permission to allow PMs to create their own local base calendars.

If your organization allows the use of local base calendars, the base calendar will be stored in the project in which it was created.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 9:07 PM

All replies

• efrizzell --

The use of local base calendars in a Project Server environment is strictly the decision of each organization.  There are certainly valid reasons for permitting them, such as when PMs need to be able to create their own custom local base calendars.  There are also valid reasons for denying their use, so that every project must be scheduled using a valid and tested base calendar created by the Project Server administrator.

Several years ago, I worked with an organization that initially forbid the use of local base calendars.  Because of this, the Project Server administrator was hit with dozens of requests for custom enterprise base calendars.  He found the process of creating and maintaining enterprise base calendars to be so much work that he gave up trying to control it, and enabled the permission to allow PMs to create their own local base calendars.

If your organization allows the use of local base calendars, the base calendar will be stored in the project in which it was created.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 9:07 PM
  • this sounds like something that might happen here.  I was more worried about having dozens of "enterprise calendars" from them to chose from when creating a new project.  instead of the 4 we have now.
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 9:21 PM
  • I know this is an old post, but I wanted to reuse the great explanations in here.

I am thinking of using Local Base Calendars for a solution to our problem.  However, my testing is not coming out as expected.

I flipped the "Allow projects to use local base calendars" switch ON in Additional Server Settings.

In my test project I went to Project --> Change Working Time --> [Create New Calendar]

I created a new calendar based off our STANDARD calendar.

I then added a lot of non-working days to the new calendar so they occurred right in the middle of a a month with

some work (Nov 2018).

I changed the project to use the new calendar

Project --> Project Information

Now when I save, publish, and reopen, the project still shows all the work scheduled on these days I just marked in Exceptions.   NOTE: The days this calendar inherited from the STANDARD as non-working do not have any work scheduled.

Any help appreciated...

- John

Thursday, August 31, 2017 8:45 PM
  • John --

Apply the Resource Sheet view and look at the Base Calendar setting for each resource.  Is it the Standard calendar, which I assume has none of the holiday breaks?  If so, is one of these resources assigned to the task that is scheduled during the holiday break?  If so, that is your problem.  When you assign a resource to a task, the resource's calendar is used to determine the scheduling of the task, NOT the Project Calendar.  Please let us know and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Saturday, September 2, 2017 8:40 PM
  • Thank you Dale.

Yes, that seems to be it!  We are using Project Online, so all our Enterprise Resources are using the STANDARD calendar.

I was under the [wrong] impression that work is scheduled according to the UNION of PROJECT and RESOURCE and TASK calendars.  So if either the Project or the Resource had the entire week of Thanksgiving marked as non-working, then there would be no work scheduled for Thanksgiving week.

The Background on the request, but this is definitely more than the thread is for :)

The problem we are trying to solve is a how to reflect a "work slowdown" during certain weeks of the year, reducing a person's capacity for the month, while also accurately reflecting PTO taken by the employees (not double counting PTO on top of the additional slowdown days).  Work slowdown meaning we are not officially closed, but the amount of work we complete during these weeks is much smaller than usual weeks.  We are not counting on these weeks for a lot of work to get done, but if work does get done that is a bonus.  (Example: First three days of Thanksgiving week is very slow, and Thr + Fri are marked as official holidays).  

Our simple solution was to mark these "slowdown" days as non-working in our standard calendar (so, Thanksgiving week had the normal Thr + Fri as non-working, and then we added Mon - Wed as non-working).  It was easy and good-enough to get us by.   This reduced a person's capacity for the month (goal achieved).  And if people were working the Mon-Wed, they could pull work into the week via the Timesheet (Add New Row from Existing assignment).

What we did not account for in our simple solution, is that people also register their Paid Time Off (PTO) in Timesheet.  PTO should also reduce a person's capacity for the month, but not if it is already captures on a slowdown day.  

Example: If I do not take Mon-Wed off during Thanksgiving week, my capacity should be ~120 hours (160 hours in a month - 16 hours for official Thanksgiving break - 24 hours for additional slowdown) .

Example: If I do take Mon-Wed off during Thanksgiving week, my capacity should still be ~120 hrs  (160 hours in a month - 16 hours for official Thanksgiving break - 24 hours for additional slowdown [do not minus another 24 hours for PTO because it overlaps Thanksgiving) .

I will have to verify how Project Online determines capacity for a person per month.  Meaning if I mark PTO on a Monday, and the same Monday is already a non-working day, does Project Online remove 8 hours from my monthly capacity or 16 hours from my monthly capacity.

Thank you again - sorry for the long, long explanation of the why..

- John

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 2:44 PM