none
Blank - Resource Utilization and Capacity Planning RRS feed

  • Question

  • We have an issue with the ‘Resource Utilization’ views in Project Online.  It is not showing the Resource utilization of resources assigned to projects.  I can confirm that we have resources assigned to tasks and those tasks are published.  Within the ‘Resource assignment’ views the assignments are showing up so we know it’s working but none of the ‘Capacity planning’ charts and table below work, all is blank.

    We have the premium licenses.  We have set the resource utilization in Project Professional set to calculate from the Project Plan, no luck.  Despite several attempts on all three PWA instances within our O365 tenant Resource capacity doesn’t show up.

     

    Steps taken:

    1. We have checked all three PWA Instances – same results even in a pretty much vanilla instance
    2. We have Premium licenses
    3. We have checked that team resources are not being used
    4. We have both Generic and Named resources
    5. We have confirmed we have tasks and assignments published and ‘publish’ column set to ‘Yes’
    6. We have created Resources both manually in PWA and with Project Professional
    7. We have adjusted the Date range to match the assignments
    8. We have checked the Working times and set the enterprise calendar
    9. We do not have any schedule templates set or workflows
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 3:33 PM

Answers

  • Hi Both, here is the solution that worked for me.

    While the assignments isn't using timephased data, the Capacity graph does. therefore, the Report configuration has not to be set to none. I have just tried Day so cannot tell if other ones are working. however it solved the issue for me.

    Hope it helps

    thanks


    Jérome Charlon - Senior Project Server Architect - MCP-MCTS

    Tuesday, April 10, 2018 6:12 AM

All replies

  • Hi,

    I do remember a similar bug but it was supposed to be resolved

    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c4b3b53a-b25d-4242-a564-1003be55c6ca/the-resource-utilization-by-project-view-is-not-working-in-ms-project-online?forum=projectserver2010general

    and I cannot reproduce the issue.

    Just a few more checks: are you using enterprise resources, not local? Are the assignments committed or proposed? Do the project publish correctly with no error messages in the queue?

    In case you checked all those points, I'd suggest to open a case from your O365 admin center. 


    Hope this helps,


    Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

    Thursday, March 22, 2018 3:40 PM
    Moderator
  • Hello Guillaume,

    Thank you for your response. The link you sent is very similar to the issue that we're having. 

    To answer your questions:

    Are you using enterprise resources, not local? -- Yes, these are enterprise resources and not local resources

    Are the assignments committed or proposed?  -- All Assignments are committed

    Do the project publish correctly with no error messages in the queue? -- Yes, we have no issues with publishing the project.

    Lastly, we have started a case with Microsoft, however, it's been over a week now and we haven't made any headway.

    Thank you.

    Friday, March 23, 2018 1:51 PM
  • Hi GrcAde and Guillaume, 

    strangely, I have been seeing that 2 times in the past week.

    Tried to publish again (PWA and Project Pro), change resource, etc, nothing seems to solve. 

    it is the exact same case where Assignment has information, but resource capacity remains blank (no bars where there is work)

    just writing here to keep a track of that thread.

    cheers


    Jérome Charlon - Senior Project Server Architect - MCP-MCTS

    Monday, April 9, 2018 5:15 AM
  • Hi Both, here is the solution that worked for me.

    While the assignments isn't using timephased data, the Capacity graph does. therefore, the Report configuration has not to be set to none. I have just tried Day so cannot tell if other ones are working. however it solved the issue for me.

    Hope it helps

    thanks


    Jérome Charlon - Senior Project Server Architect - MCP-MCTS

    Tuesday, April 10, 2018 6:12 AM
  • Jérome Charlon, 

    Many thanks!!! I appreciate your help, this was the tip. I had it in NONE option, when I changed it to Daily and re-published the project it worked. This was giving me a nightmare with the portfolio analysis for resources. 

    Regards

    Carlos

    Monday, February 25, 2019 4:23 PM
  • The proposed solution is in line with this article:
    https://blog.atwork.at/post/2018/05/07/Project-Online-Missing-Work-in-Capacity-Planning-View

    Apparently, the bug is a side effect of a recent change.

    For those (like me) who don't find this: MS is apparently running 2-3 web interfaces in parallel, unable to decide and btw. unable to handle sessions. You will find this setting once you have

    - found Project on your Office 365 site (third installation worked)

    - clicked on "change to Project Web app" at the bottom of the page

    - go to PWA settings there => enterprise data => reporting

    - after 1-2 hours, the booking was represented in the resource

    - result: 3 resource plots represent the resource booking, 1 still doesn't (the heat map)

    - note the incredibly bad fails (resource tables not shown completely, no ability to scroll without moving information out-of-scope)


    • Edited by Evolunis Monday, March 18, 2019 1:08 PM
    Monday, March 18, 2019 9:10 AM
  • Hi,

    What worked for me was to change the "Full time equivalent calculation" from "Resource base calendar" to "Hours per day" (8 hours for me). This can be done in "PWA Settings" => "Additional Server Settings". You need to republish your projects after the change.

    I did not spend time analyzing why the original configuration did not work though.

    Regards,

    Pascal

    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 9:03 AM