none
Storage Spaces not showing increased file capacity from added disks RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials. Home server scenario.

How can I get the extra space to be recognized and used for file storage please?

Storage Space - Two-way mirror - Pool consisting of 4x4TB internal SATA drives, resulting in 7.26TB file capacity from 14.5 pool capacity. I filled that up completely, <1MB spare, but otherwise has worked fine. 

Added 2x2TB external USB drives to add space, resulting in 18.1TB recognized total pool capacity. Tried using both the Control Panel UI and the Dashboard, same issue: file capacity in Explorer still showing 7.26TB and continues maxed-out, even though I added 4TB to the system. Reboot same. Let it sit for a day, same.

Saturday, May 28, 2016 1:44 AM

Answers

• SOLVED: to add new drives, you have to BOTH "Add Drives" and "New size" the Pool.

This may be obvious to experienced users, but having (lightly) used Storage Spaces for years now, this was NOT obvious to me:

- FIRST, you "Add Drives", yes. See the result in the Pool size being increased.

- BUT, you still need to now "Change" (not the most obvious command IMO) the Storage Space.

- And in Change, you see that there's a "New Size" block and the "Storage space size:" field showing the *UNCHANGED* "7.26TB" that was assigned when I first set up the Pool that worked fine.

- So now it's obvious: you just enter here the larger size that you want (strangely it did not offer a suggested default or auto-adapt to my new drives I've just added) so in my case I made it a nice round 9TB.

Voila! In a few secs, the now properly configured larger Pool is now recognized in Explorer, and I have my added space! Yay!

In summary: to add new drives you have to BOTH "Add Drives" and "New size" the Pool.

I had no idea of the second step -- and there was no prompt or hint.

• Marked as answer by stansley_exMS Saturday, May 28, 2016 9:21 PM
    Saturday, May 28, 2016 9:21 PM

All replies

• Hi:

From the official doc:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831739%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#BKMK_Requirements

I see the below.Consumers can use USB drives with Storage Spaces, though USB 3 drives are recommended to ensure a high level of performance. USB 2 drives will decrease performance – a single USB 2 hard drive can saturate the bandwidth available on the shared USB bus, limiting performance when multiple drives are attached to the same USB 2 controller. When using USB 2 drives, plug them directly into different USB controllers on your computer, do not use USB hubs, and add USB 2 drives to a separate storage pool used only for storage spaces that do not require a high level of performance.

So maybe you don't want to add those drives to the pool in any case.  However, there are also some threads on the net discussing various models that don't seem to work.  Can you let us know what brand/model, USB 2/3, and if there is a hub in play? 

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Saturday, May 28, 2016 11:08 AM
  • Thanks Larry. I'll investigate that and try some other configs. I can only use USB since my internal bays are full. The initial config tried that's not working is using a USB3 dual dock external.

This one specifically:
    http://smile.amazon.com/ORICO-External-Docking-Duplicator-Function/dp/B00JJEUL5W

Saturday, May 28, 2016 6:09 PM
  • This really would be better in the server file and storage forum not Essentials.  But in a nutshell the 2 news drives are not part of your Pool.  But before we get there I am not sure your original pool is what you wanted.  I think the way you have it setup two drives could fail and it would keep going but I may be wrong.

But in any event you have not added the new drives to your Storage Spaces.  As you can see it says your Space is using 14.5tb of your Pool, not the full 18tb. 

Grey

Saturday, May 28, 2016 6:35 PM
  • Stansley,

Maybe I missed something.  It seemed to me that you had tried to add the new drives using both the dashboard and control panel.  But you did not say what happened.  Error messages?  Entries in the event viewer or the logs?  Or simply nothing happened?

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Saturday, May 28, 2016 6:43 PM
  • But Grey, the gauge in the Storage Spaces dialog (second pic in my post) is showing the proportion of storage in the Pool that's used (in this case, 14.5TB from 7.26TB files at two-way resiliency), and the total storage space available in the pool (in this case, 18.1TB -- from my 4 original 4x4TB in the Pool that was working fine, and the *recognized* addition of my 2x2TB USB drives).

So thank you for your suggestion, but I really think the new drives have indeed been added to the Pool.

But this did point me to the answer, so thanks again! :-)

PS. I posted in Essentials because I initially assumed I may have hit a size limit or something arising from using the "junior" server of the family.
    Saturday, May 28, 2016 9:08 PM
  • What happened is what I described, Larry. No errors or events.

I added the drives two alternative ways (completely separately; I was trying to work the problem myself) and both resulted in the same outcome as described above. Summary scenario:

- Physically connect drives to system; system recognizes the drives in Explorer. Formatted NTFS, FWIW.

- Hit Add Drives.

- Add the drives.

- Successful completion, and recognition through the graph in the second pic in my OP -- now 18.1 total pool capacity, yay.

- But back in Explorer, the Pool remained only recognized at 7.26TB, not apparently "seeing" that there was >3TB spare capacity in the pool now...

Nonetheless, yours and Grey's posts led me to the answer, thank you.

Saturday, May 28, 2016 9:13 PM
  • SOLVED: to add new drives, you have to BOTH "Add Drives" and "New size" the Pool.

This may be obvious to experienced users, but having (lightly) used Storage Spaces for years now, this was NOT obvious to me:

- FIRST, you "Add Drives", yes. See the result in the Pool size being increased.

- BUT, you still need to now "Change" (not the most obvious command IMO) the Storage Space.

- And in Change, you see that there's a "New Size" block and the "Storage space size:" field showing the *UNCHANGED* "7.26TB" that was assigned when I first set up the Pool that worked fine.

- So now it's obvious: you just enter here the larger size that you want (strangely it did not offer a suggested default or auto-adapt to my new drives I've just added) so in my case I made it a nice round 9TB.

Voila! In a few secs, the now properly configured larger Pool is now recognized in Explorer, and I have my added space! Yay!

In summary: to add new drives you have to BOTH "Add Drives" and "New size" the Pool.

I had no idea of the second step -- and there was no prompt or hint.

• Marked as answer by stansley_exMS Saturday, May 28, 2016 9:21 PM
    Saturday, May 28, 2016 9:21 PM
  • Good deal.  That is what I was saying about the spaces, change

But in any event you have not added the new drives to your Storage Spaces.  As you can see it says your Space is using 14.5tb of your Pool, not the full 18tb. 

Grey

Saturday, May 28, 2016 9:37 PM
  • Saturday, May 28, 2016 9:41 PM
  • Indeed -- thanks again, Grey! :-)
    Monday, May 30, 2016 10:19 PM
  • What would be the procedure for replacing mirrored drives with larger ones? 

I have a Western Digital DS5100, fully populated with 2 x 2 TB drives and 2 x 4 TB drives in a Storage Space:

This box is a like a little appliance, with 4 hot-swap drive bays, and no space for any other drives (other than the 2.5" boot drive).

I have plenty of space available right now, but what do I do when it’s time to increase my storage? Can I replace a 2 TB drive with an 8 TB drive, repair the array, and then replace the other 2 TB drive with another 8 TB drive and repair it again? Will I have the capacity of the 8 TB drives? Or will it “repair” as if they’re only 2 TB drives?

How smart is Storage Spaces? Thanks!

• Edited by TheWaterbug Friday, September 27, 2019 7:36 PM
    Friday, September 27, 2019 7:34 PM