none
Highlight Task Path in Task Sheet RRS feed

• Question

• I have used the Highlight Task Path feature for the Gantt Chart.  I find that it is a very useful tool.  I am wondering is there a way to highlight the task path of a specific task in the Task Sheet or either in gantt chart view table?  

I have zero duration tasks for permit approvals that do not show up in the gantt chart and, I do not want them to be overlooked using the highlight task path feature.  If the table was highlighted as well, it would be easier to pick up these tasks.

Friday, June 7, 2019 4:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Ben, I hope you're doing fine...

Travis,

I posted the following macro on LinkedIn eons ago. I have no intention to improve it, so I am posting it as it is herewith:

///////

There is a new feature called "Task Path" in Project 2013 Preview. It can be used to highlight driving predecessor bars in Gantt chart as follows: 
    In a Gantt Chart view, click Task Path command in Bar Styles group of Format tab of the Ribbon, and then check Driving Predecessors toggle in the drop-down list. Project will continuously highlight the driving predecessor bars of the focused task in the table. Move cursor to different rows to see how it works. 

Bar Styles (for Gantt Chart) dialog box contains some new "Show For" task categories starting with "Path..." in Gantt bar definition table but they are not accessible in a task table (e.g. insert as a field into the table to see the boolean value it contains). We can use the following simple macro to highlight driving predecessors of a task in the table as well: 

Sub Mark_Driving_Predecessors() 
    Dim T As Task 
    For Each T In ActiveProject.Tasks 
    If Not (T Is Nothing) Then 
    T.Marked = T.PathDrivingPredecessor 
    End If 
    Next T 
    End Sub 

To test: 
    Just click any task row, Project will automatically highlight the driving predecessor bars; do not change cursor position and then run the macro to highlight predecessor task rows in the table. 

We can modify the formatting for the Marked field in Text Styles dialog box. We can also add a button to Quick Access Toolbar for the macro. 

IMO, this may become handy when we want to inactivate driving predecessors of a task. 

It is a preview version. I hope we will have some Yes/No task fields to use in tables for the highlighted paths in release version instead of using some other indirect methods to mark the tasks in the path.

//////

I hope it helps, pls modify and use it as you like.

Cheers,

Ismet

Saturday, June 8, 2019 12:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Travis, 

Out of the box, the Task Path Feature is a function that is available within the Format Section of the Gantt Chart Tools, and therefore it works on the Gantt Chart only.  You would need to write some VBA, or buy a partner soln which coloured your tasks appropriately in the table view in order to do what you want.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Friday, June 7, 2019 4:32 PM
  • Hi Ben, I hope you're doing fine...

Travis,

I posted the following macro on LinkedIn eons ago. I have no intention to improve it, so I am posting it as it is herewith:

///////

There is a new feature called "Task Path" in Project 2013 Preview. It can be used to highlight driving predecessor bars in Gantt chart as follows: 
    In a Gantt Chart view, click Task Path command in Bar Styles group of Format tab of the Ribbon, and then check Driving Predecessors toggle in the drop-down list. Project will continuously highlight the driving predecessor bars of the focused task in the table. Move cursor to different rows to see how it works. 

Bar Styles (for Gantt Chart) dialog box contains some new "Show For" task categories starting with "Path..." in Gantt bar definition table but they are not accessible in a task table (e.g. insert as a field into the table to see the boolean value it contains). We can use the following simple macro to highlight driving predecessors of a task in the table as well: 

Sub Mark_Driving_Predecessors() 
    Dim T As Task 
    For Each T In ActiveProject.Tasks 
    If Not (T Is Nothing) Then 
    T.Marked = T.PathDrivingPredecessor 
    End If 
    Next T 
    End Sub 

To test: 
    Just click any task row, Project will automatically highlight the driving predecessor bars; do not change cursor position and then run the macro to highlight predecessor task rows in the table. 

We can modify the formatting for the Marked field in Text Styles dialog box. We can also add a button to Quick Access Toolbar for the macro. 

IMO, this may become handy when we want to inactivate driving predecessors of a task. 

It is a preview version. I hope we will have some Yes/No task fields to use in tables for the highlighted paths in release version instead of using some other indirect methods to mark the tasks in the path.

//////

I hope it helps, pls modify and use it as you like.

Cheers,

Ismet

Saturday, June 8, 2019 12:21 AM