none
How to approve hours that wait at the approval center RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone!

I wanted to know if there is a way that as an Admin i can approve hours that waiting to approve at others approval center ?

( 2010 Version)

Thanks,

Ofir.

• Edited by Ofir.B Monday, October 3, 2011 1:06 PM
    Monday, October 3, 2011 1:02 PM

All replies

• Is there a way to do it without their permission?

I mean, as an Admin to control and reject/approve all hours that wait to be approved?

Thanks,

Ofir.

Monday, October 3, 2011 2:51 PM
  • I dont think so that is good idea.

could you please provide more details about your requirement.

Thanks,

Hrishi

Monday, October 3, 2011 3:20 PM
  • First of all,Thanks for you answers Hirshi !

In my department at the end/beginning of every month we are doing some cycles of mailing to the useres,project managers,developers..everyone who report hours to our projects.

And there are some tasks/projects or even general activities that always approved and insted of calling/send mail or run from one person the the other to approve the hours that wait for him i want that as the PMO i will be able to see all those hours in the system and to approve some, instead of wait the the resource manager to approve them.

I can save  couple of hours every month and publish the final report of the month sooner if i will approve myself.

Thanks,

Ofir.

Monday, October 3, 2011 3:40 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification.

Are you using task updates or timeheet updates?

For task updates PM's can set rules for such kind of requirement.

Thanks,

Hrishi

Monday, October 3, 2011 3:44 PM
  • Hi Ofir,

Although I understand what you are asking, I don't think it is a good idea.

"I can save couple of hours every month and publish the final report of the month sooner if i will approve myself."

This would render the entire approval process obsolete as the approval process is bypassed...

As Hrshi already mentioned, an approver could use Manage Rules to automate some approval requests. In addition you can use delegations to act on behalf of someone else to approve some hours (speeding up the approval process doesn't seem a valid reason to use this feature however).

Or if you want those approval to always be send to you, you could change the Status Manager for these tasks to make sure they are send to whoever needs to approve (in this case you).

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Monday, October 3, 2011 8:22 PM
  • Going in and doing it for them is a bad idea for several reasons. Once you do it people stop having faith that the numbers in the system are really what the PM or RM approved (and for good reason since you were approving for them). It allows them room to avoid responsibility for their numbers. Also, once you do this you make it clear that if they dont do their job in a timely manner you will just do it for them, therefore they dont really need to do it at all.

In the short term it will be faster for you to do it for them. Long term though a best practice is to create a combination of incentives\rewards for doing it on time and disincentives to being late. Once common disincentive to being late is the public review (in a PMO review meeting with everyones boss in the room) of the status of who has submitted\reviewed\accepted their updates. Generally it only takes one time of being called out by your boss in a crowded room to stop them from being late. ;-)

Brian Kennemer – DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:25 AM
  • Hello,

I'm going to bump this thread, because of similar question.

Is it possible for Admin to see all hours that are waiting for approval in MS Project 2016?

We are using Timesheet updates.

I am not planning to approve them, I just need to see if there are sent hours that are waiting for approval. Using delegate function to check everyone would take a lot of time, since we have ~30 project managers who approve hours.

Ask me if you need more details.

Thanks, 

Tomas

Thursday, June 20, 2019 6:12 AM
  • Write a report to find hours waiting approval.

Michael Wharton, Project MVP, MBA, PMP and a Great Guy <br/> Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com <br/> Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Thursday, June 20, 2019 2:07 PM
  • Write a report to find hours waiting approval.

Michael Wharton, Project MVP, MBA, PMP and a Great Guy <br/> Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com <br/> Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Thank you Michael,

If anyone is interested found it in "TimesheetLines" table, "TimesheetLineStatus" column.

Friday, June 21, 2019 6:27 AM