none
Custom Lookup Table Copy/Paste

Question

• Hi Everyone!  I am new to Project Online and have many questions, but let me start with this one:

I need a new Enterprise Custom Field and associated Lookup Table.  It has to be at the Project level (not task or resource).  It is a list of customer names that I want my project managers to choose from when creating their projects.  This list is currently over 500 different names and growing.

I cannot figure out how to cut/paste this list into the lookup table.  I have seen many threads on this, and the behavior others have experienced (as well as I) is that the entire list pastes into a single row/cell in the lookup table in PWA.

I also read that when doing this it is easier to use the local version of Project Professional to create my custom fields and lookups - but Project Pro does not let me create a custom field of the Project Type (it only allows Task and Resource types).  I even tried creating the custom field and lookup table in PWA, then opening Project Pro to see if I could edit the table and paste into there - but it is all greyed out and does not allow edits to any of my Project Type custom fields or tables.

Any help would be most appreciated.  And I have many more questions after this one if people can be patient with me.

Friday, May 17, 2019 1:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

just create a local custom field on task level with lookup table. Use "Add field to Enterprise" to get field and lookup table into as Enterprise Custom Field (ECF) and lookup table. Delete the ECF on task level afterwards and create a new ECF on project level and use the now existing lookup table for this new field.

Regards
    Barbara

Barbara Henhapl Blog (English/German) MVP

Friday, May 17, 2019 3:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

just create a local custom field on task level with lookup table. Use "Add field to Enterprise" to get field and lookup table into as Enterprise Custom Field (ECF) and lookup table. Delete the ECF on task level afterwards and create a new ECF on project level and use the now existing lookup table for this new field.

Regards
    Barbara

Barbara Henhapl Blog (English/German) MVP

Friday, May 17, 2019 3:34 PM
  • Geez!  Genius!  Why didn't I think of this?  Thank you so much!
    Friday, May 17, 2019 6:08 PM