none
Duration getting calculated wrongly in PWA RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We are using PS 2010. I am trying to create a project plan in PWA. When I start scheduling a task, it takes 1 day duration but the finish date is the next date. When I assign a resource to the task, it changes the work to 9 hours and makes the duration as 1.06 days. When I change the work to 8.5 hrs, then the duration shows correctly for 1 day. But at the top level the duration shows 0.88 days. Below is the screenshot for the same. 

Note - the resources working hrs per day is 8.5. When I open the plan in MSP, the time for start - finish date is correct and the duration for the task is also showing correct. But at the summary level it is not rolling up correctly.

Cheers, Amit Wairkar

Thursday, February 2, 2017 6:22 AM

Answers

• The summary task duration will take the earliest start date/time and the latest finish date/time. Meaning that if your working day is 9am-6pm, the earliest start time is 9am, but the latest finish date is not 6pm but 5pm, the duration will not be an integer.

For the calendar, since you cannot manage the project calendar in PWA, you have to create the calendar, create a project template with this calendar and associate this template to a project type.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by Amit.Wairkar Monday, February 6, 2017 4:01 AM
    Friday, February 3, 2017 12:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Amit,

You have to align the start time with the project & resource calendars working time (which cannot be done just with PWA). For example, if the default day duration is 8hrs but your project calendar sets a day as 9hrs, a 1-day task will finish on the next day.

Hope this helps,

Friday, February 3, 2017 8:43 AM
  • Hi Guil,

But at the task level the duration is showing correctly, why isn't it rolling up at the summary level?

If I delete the standard default calendar, can it take the custom Enterprise calendar for the Projects I create from PWA.

Cheers, Amit Wairkar

Friday, February 3, 2017 11:04 AM
  • The summary task duration will take the earliest start date/time and the latest finish date/time. Meaning that if your working day is 9am-6pm, the earliest start time is 9am, but the latest finish date is not 6pm but 5pm, the duration will not be an integer.

For the calendar, since you cannot manage the project calendar in PWA, you have to create the calendar, create a project template with this calendar and associate this template to a project type.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by Amit.Wairkar Monday, February 6, 2017 4:01 AM
    Friday, February 3, 2017 12:15 PM
  • Thanks Guil. I have created a new template. Its working fine now.

Cheers, Amit Wairkar

Monday, February 6, 2017 4:02 AM