Project Server 2013 - Project Web App Home shows TypeError RRS feed

• Question

• Installed Project Server 2013 along with the rest of a SharePoint 2013 install.  4-server farm.  One front end for Project Server.  Metro apps look showed on the Home page (Project Web App Home) initially, but not used--project server was not needed until recently.  Now seeing "TypeError: Unable to get value of the property 'length': object is null or undefined--- repeated around 20 times.  No projects have been loaded, and I could uninstall and reinstall at this point.  Any ideas on how to fix would be appreciated.  Thanks.

David Ridenour

Saturday, February 22, 2014 2:16 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the questions.  No configuration changes.  I recreated the web application using the same host header address, then provisioned the PWA.  While the status was "Provisioned", I could not access the PWA to manage it, receiving the same  IE error (refresh) page as before. Alternately, I might see a login prompt followed by the error page, regardless of account used.  Discovered that the loopback address of 127.0.0.1 was set up for the host header addresses on each of the servers.  One of the host header addresses was used by PWA (i.e. http://xxx.xxx.co.uk/pwa).  Once I removed this, and set custom level permissions (IE Options/Security tab in IE) to log in with current user and password, I was able to access the PWA site.

As to the cause of the original problem, I can only guess.  The loopback addresses had been there for months (the date stamp on the host file was in November), and the PWA worked before and after that time.  But the new PWA is working fine now. 

David Ridenour

• Marked as answer by David5 Friday, March 7, 2014 12:00 PM
    Friday, March 7, 2014 12:00 PM

All replies

• David,

If existing PWA  data is no longer required , I don't think you need to uninstall and re-install, re-provisioning new PWA could be easiest way.

Delete existing PWA site and make sure to select the section delete site collection

Delete database Project Web service database from SQL server

Re-provision the PWA and validate the behavior

Note: Before proceeding I would recommend to take backup of existing content database and Project web service database for just in case.

Hrishi Deshpande Senior Consultant

Saturday, February 22, 2014 3:15 AM
  • Thanks for the quick response.  Actually do not see the delete option on the provisioned PWA site. I see 'Retry' which sends me to a 403 error. I had already tried provisioning a new PWA site. It came up, but showed the same behaviour--the 'Retry' option goes to a error 403 page. I can also open the 'manage' link, but this does very little.  I saw somewhere that I can delete the PWA using powershell, but if the newly provisioned PWA works no better than the existing one, that may not help.  Would deleting the service application be a better option?  Thanks.

David Ridenour

Saturday, February 22, 2014 4:41 AM
  • If not sure, then before deleting , I would recommend to provision new PWA site using different web application. If new one  also does not work then deleting Project Service Application wont hurt. Having said that before removing Service App, dismount existing PWA sites.

Here is the another  thread which might help you to delete PWA instance using GUI

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/fc583a04-bb7d-4ea5-87f0-82f0b75e36d0/project-server-2013-view-edit-delete-options-missing-from-pwa-site-menu?forum=projectserver2010general

Alternatively  you can use Powershell command to do this job

Dismount-SPProjectWebInstance -SiteCollection "http://SERVER/pwa"

This example removes the Project Server 2013 service application instance for the specified site collection

However this command does not remove the site collection, which needs to be deleted from SharePoint Central Admin>> Application Management >> Delete site collection

Saturday, February 22, 2014 5:18 AM
  • Thank you for the help!  I deleted the Web apps using Powershell you suggested, and deleted the site collections as well, and then deleted and recreated the service application.  I made sure the box to create the proxy was checked, so I had both the service app and proxy.  I then opened the service app and tried provisioning a PWA.  This errored out with a 6966 error (in Windows Application log) -- "Provisioning PWA; post provisioning setup failed. Exception 'Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Faild to find Service Appplication. Either the Service Application does not exist or the Service Application proxy is misconfigured."'

'Retry' failed, as did deleting and recreating the service app.   Thanks again.

David Ridenour

Sunday, February 23, 2014 5:15 AM
  • Seems that the reason why the provisioning service could not find the service application (I think) is that I had earlier changed the service connection (in Web Applications) from Default to Custom.  Once I changed back to Custom, created a service application, I was able to finish provisioning a PWA site.

At least the message was "Provisioned".  Instead of being able to access the site, my options were "Retry" and "Delete" as before, only know if I select "Retry" I get the same refresh error page I saw before.  Would it help to delete the web application?  Does it make sense to re-install project?  Thanks.

David Ridenour

Monday, February 24, 2014 5:39 AM
  • Were you able to create provision another PWA using different web application? Deleting and recreating web application wont' hurt. Before installing project we still have more option

Apart from PWA , do you have any other application in this farm ? I mean SharePoint stuff. Your thought about creating new Farm ?

Monday, February 24, 2014 6:09 AM
  • Hello David,

After you installed PWA, did you happen to make any configuration changes.  More specifically, did you create any custom enterprise data fields?  If so, delete them and see if you still have error.

Same with PDP or any configurations.  Back out any configuration changes, prior to your issues.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 4:14 AM
  • Thanks for the questions.  No configuration changes.  I recreated the web application using the same host header address, then provisioned the PWA.  While the status was "Provisioned", I could not access the PWA to manage it, receiving the same  IE error (refresh) page as before. Alternately, I might see a login prompt followed by the error page, regardless of account used.  Discovered that the loopback address of 127.0.0.1 was set up for the host header addresses on each of the servers.  One of the host header addresses was used by PWA (i.e. http://xxx.xxx.co.uk/pwa).  Once I removed this, and set custom level permissions (IE Options/Security tab in IE) to log in with current user and password, I was able to access the PWA site.

As to the cause of the original problem, I can only guess.  The loopback addresses had been there for months (the date stamp on the host file was in November), and the PWA worked before and after that time.  But the new PWA is working fine now. 

David Ridenour

• Marked as answer by David5 Friday, March 7, 2014 12:00 PM
    Friday, March 7, 2014 12:00 PM
  • Hi,

I have some drawbacks with this "provisioned"status that appears in the Project Server service app page.

Recently I have two instances, one working fully, but slowly with provisioned status, but the menu besides the service application appeared only the Retry/Manage options which means an unsuccessful ending.

In the same server I created another instance and it also ended as provisioned and again in the menu the options were Retry/Manage. The PWA went live well, but I discovered that the Project Server timer job for this instance was not created so the instance was dead.

I checked the web instance status using powershell Get-SPProjectWebInstance and it also showed that the first instance was OK and second was not.

I found many entries in the internet complaining about this misleading "provisioned" status in Project Server 2013 when actually it had not successfully provisioned.

Could it be a bug?

Best regards, Ricardo Segawa - Segawas Projetos / Microsoft Partner

• Edited by R.Segawa Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:45 PM
    Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:43 PM