none
Summary Task - Timesheet single entry mode updating Project Schedule

Question

• Hi All,

A number of my Project Resources have complained that all the tasks assigned to them are a bit too much to view on their Timesheets. I have on my pwatest instance decided to test the usage of Summary tasks over individual tasks. 

Whilst i understand this is not best practice, if i have resources working across 8 projects and 30 assignments in each - they have literally hundreds of tasks in their timesheets each! 

If i assign resources to a Summary task, it shows in their timesheets but doesn't impact the project schedule or updates on the Project. Is there anyway that i can have the following outcome:

Summary task (with 6 tasks inside) assigned to the resource for their timesheets, and the changes to this summary task in terms of Timesheet entry updates the Project Plan

FYI - i am trialing this on Non-single line entry, but my main instance does use this feature. Would be happy to move away from it if required

Ilai S :)

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 5:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am sorry. Time reporting on summary tasks is not supported for timesheets. As you wrote, assigning resources to summary tasks is no good practice. In this case, from my experience, it just does not work.

To decrease the number of tasks per timesheet, your PMs can either

• plan more accurately. I assume not all 100 tasks should be performed at the same time?
    • create an additional task under the same summary task an assign resource just to this "booking task" per summary.

A task will also not be in timesheet, if resources are updating Remaining Work accordingly. After setting to 0, task will not appear in timesheet of following period.

Regards
    Barbara

Barbara Henhapl Blog MVP

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 6:16 PM