none
Project 2010; master schedule of numerous unrelated schedules

Question

• In an architectural office there are many projects ongoing at any one time.  We need to do labor resource planning for individual projects as well as for the overall office.  How can numerous individual project schedules be combined into one master schedule and have the Team Planner and Labor Resource functions work across all the combined schedules?  Have looked into the "Sub Project" function but this is not appropriate for distinct, unrelated projects.  I know this can work in the Milestones software but am struggling with Project 2010.  Thanks, Mike
    michaeldugan
    Monday, January 17, 2011 5:05 PM

Answers

• Haven't followed this thread for a little bit, but here's what shoudl work.

1) Create a custom task field for phase.  Set the field to roll down to the assignment level.  Assign each task w/in the Gantt Chart to a phase.

2) Go to the Task Usage View.

3) Create a new grouping: Resource, Project (using the Project field), Phase.  Make sure to group by assignments and not tasks.

That should get you close.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky
    Friday, January 21, 2011 3:19 PM

All replies

• Create a Common Resource Pool, which can be used for allocation across projects. This can also give appropriate picture of Availability and Assignments calculated from all the sharer projects.

Sapna S
    Monday, January 17, 2011 5:14 PM
  • I am not on a server version of Project 2010. When I click on "Resource Pool", only the first (Share Resources) of the four drop down items are available.  When I click "Share Resources" only the bottom two radio buttons (On confllict with.....) are selectable.  I selected "OK" but what do I do after that? I have searched for some view that would show Resource Allocation across all my projects but can't find anything like that.  Help menu is of no use. 
    michaeldugan
    Monday, January 17, 2011 5:41 PM
  • Hello,

You can create shared resource pool in non-connected server mode too...

Create a MPP named "Resource Pool" add all your resource in its Resource Sheet, save the File. Now open your Sharer Projects which have WBS defined with durations etc. but no resources. Now go to Tools -> Resource Sharing - Share Resources Box opens -> Use Resources- from drop down select "Resource Pool" file, select option - on Conflict -> Pool Takes Precedence. OK

Now this will start pulling resources from your Resource Pool file. Now you can use it to share resources across projects.

Refer : http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/use-a-resource-pool-HP045295517.aspx

Sapna S
    Monday, January 17, 2011 5:59 PM
  • Michael,

You don't need Project Server.

Don't know what you are seeing in the Help Menu which is of no use, but I'm not surprised. Not much in the Help Menu.  Launch the Help application and search for "Master Project" and you should find a number of good articles.  The one that I see right in front of me now is entitled "Plans within Plans: master projects and sub projects".  

Simplistically, create the shared resource file (resources but no tasks).  Open that file, along with all the files with which you want to use the same shared resource file.  In each of those project files, attach the shared resource file via the Resource Pool/Share Resources ... menu.  Since the resource file is open, you'll see it on the drop down list.

You may get some value from reading more about Project in Mike Glen's series at http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMFrame.asp?CMD=ArticleSearch&AUTH=23.  Also, get a hold of one of the good books on Project.  Well worth getting some additional learnings under your belt.

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    Monday, January 17, 2011 6:08 PM
  • Have created master project and inserted  three sample projects into it.  That seems to work fine but there are two glitches: in the Team Planner view I grouped the far left column by the Resource Name. This created subrows for each project.  However, there is no way I can find the lable the task bars with the specific project name in order to avoid confusion.  Second, in Resource Usage view the far left column is again the Resource Name and, again, a row for each project but now with each task the Resource has been assigned to.  The problem is that the Task rows will total only to the specific project and not give me a total for the Resource across all projects - which is what I really need to verify availability.  Thanks for the help.
    michaeldugan
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:59 AM
  • I agree with you on the team planner.  You can group resources by Project,
    but I don't think that's what you're looking for.  You can also mouse over
    the task in the grid, and it seems to display the project as part of the
    task information.

As for the Resource Usage view, try grouping by Resource, then by Project
    - making sure to select to group by Assignments.  Unless something's changed
    in 2010, that should work and sum up into the summary line.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:29 AM
  • In the Resource Usage view, the far left column is "Resource Name" and that is probably why, when I use the drop down list and select, "Group by" and then "Custom group", there is no selection available for Resource to select before selecting "Project".  Tried the Resource Graph but, it as well, had a different graph for each project and individual works on.  I have intentionally overloaded one Resource but it doesn't show up anywhere because I cannot get a total of hours across all projects for a Resource on a specific day.  Thanks for the help.

michaeldugan
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:48 AM
  • Hello,

If you are looking for Resource Usage across Project - that you get in Resource Usage anyways [Work Roll up across Resource Names]. But if you are looking for Project-wise roll up for each Resource, that is bit difficult, you may need a macro for that. As even when you insert Project Column in Resource Usage and apply Gr by on it (by default since all Resources are coming from a Resource Pool file, MSP treat that filename as the Project so when you apply Gr by on Project it picks Resource Pool File name instead of individual Projects) you won't see any major impact.

Secondly as you are looking for Resource Avaliability that you can verify - insert Remaining Availability Row in Timephased sheet of Resource Usage. Now it will capture Work & Remaining Availability of a Resource per day.

Hope this helps.

Sapna S
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:13 AM
  • I just played around with the "Group By" order and got it to total per person per project as well as total hours per day.  The only thing I can show in this Resource Usage view is the entire WBS structure of each individual project how I have it set up; project, phase and then task.  I grouped by Name first which put the Resource name at the top of the outline, then by Project, but then I have to skip Phase and go directly to Task.  So, the second level of the work breakdown (Phase) does not show.  Any idea how to get that done?  That would solve the final problem.  Thanks much.  Mike
    michaeldugan
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 4:30 PM
  • Please tell the fields you inserted in Resource Usage while using Gr by, probabaly then I can understand it better.

Sapna S
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 5:11 PM
  • I didn't "insert" any field, I just Grouped By so that my Resourse Usage view looks like the following outline; (wish I could attach a screen shot!)

Name: Cyrus (total hours for Cyrus for all three projects)

Project: SWG Project 1 (total hours for Cyrus per project)

Blank (don't understand why, but again totals hours for Cyrus per project)

Cyrus (total hours per project, duplicate of line above without heading)

Task 1.1.2 (total hours for Cyrus per task)

Project: SWG Project 2...

Name: John...

The WBS outline of each of the three projects is like this:

Project

Phase

Task

So, I don't know how I ended up with such redundancy for Project total above, but do need to get "Phase" inserted  between Project and Task.  Have tried various selection is the Custom Grouping dialog box but Phase is not available.  Is there a way to insert it into the available selections?

michaeldugan
    Friday, January 21, 2011 3:09 PM
  • Haven't followed this thread for a little bit, but here's what shoudl work.

1) Create a custom task field for phase.  Set the field to roll down to the assignment level.  Assign each task w/in the Gantt Chart to a phase.

2) Go to the Task Usage View.

3) Create a new grouping: Resource, Project (using the Project field), Phase.  Make sure to group by assignments and not tasks.

That should get you close.

Friday, January 21, 2011 3:19 PM
  • Tell me Group by Order. Have you created a Consolidated Project for 3 Projects?
    Sapna S
    Friday, January 21, 2011 3:43 PM