none
Volume Drive Becomes Unavailable - Server 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• In my environment we have a file server that stores the roaming profiles for all of the students on campus. The server is a Dell PowerEdge R540 running Windows Server 2019. There were 2 SSDs combined with RAID 1 for the O/S. Then the remaining 4 HDs were combined to create one volume totaling in about 5 TB to store all of the student data. This is not setup with RAID. Every single day the storage volume becomes unavailable and we have to restart the server for it to appear again/become accessible. When this happens you double-click on the drive and the wheel just spins.

Has anyone experienced this issue running Windows Server 2019? This is all brand new equipment and hard drives.

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 12:40 PM

Answers

• We figured out the problem. This server was backing up with DPM 2019. As soon as I disabled backup protection the problem went away. So the scheduled backups were having some sort of impact on that specific drive. As a workaround and moving forward we will do manual weekend backups for that server for now.
    • Marked as answer by Eddie Schus Thursday, October 10, 2019 6:46 PM
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 6:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

This is a quick note to let you know that I am currently performing research on this issue and will get back to you as soon as possible. I appreciate your patience.

If you have any updates during this process, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 3, 2019 10:02 AM
  • Thank you. I will send more information when I can.
    Thursday, October 3, 2019 2:21 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my delay.

May I confirm the current situation about your issue?

1)Can the OS drive with RAID 1 SSD work properly? Only data drive has the problem?

2)Any changes like updates or new installation before this happened?

3)Please also check if the server, disk drive/HBA and BIOS need to update.

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, October 4, 2019 9:34 AM
  • 1.) The O/S drive with RAID 1 SSD works properly all of the time. The data drive is the problem.2

2.) No new updates or new installations before this happened. It was a brand new server out of the box.

3.) I will check the BIOS and disk drive/HBA to see if they are updated all of the way and report back.

Friday, October 4, 2019 12:44 PM
  • HBA firmware was updated and BIOS. Did not fix the problem. Talked with a Dell tech today and he could not find anything out of the ordinary. It happens every day between 12-12:30 PM E. Something has to be triggering it. Students login in the morning and this issue doesn't occur. Nothing weird in the task scheduler either.
    Monday, October 7, 2019 7:37 PM
  • We figured out the problem. This server was backing up with DPM 2019. As soon as I disabled backup protection the problem went away. So the scheduled backups were having some sort of impact on that specific drive. As a workaround and moving forward we will do manual weekend backups for that server for now.
    • Marked as answer by Eddie Schus Thursday, October 10, 2019 6:46 PM
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 6:46 PM
  • Hi,

I'm very glad that your issue was resolved successfully!

That's a good sharing as it would be helpful to others. Thanks for your support.

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you need further assistance, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Friday, October 11, 2019 9:42 AM