none
Search Indexing is taking long long time without success RRS feed

• Question

• Hello experts,

Issue: Indexing option is not getting complete, when trying to indexed files placed inside shared folder on windows server 2012R2 Essentials.

-> Number of files in shared folder 3 million.

-> Size of shared folder 2.3TB, mapped on Domain controller and shared with all other users, which users access and try to search file in that shared folder.

-> When I'm trying to build the index for files placed in shared folder, it get hung after 1.8 millions files indexed and indexing never get complete for entire files in that shared folder.

-> Performed SFC /Scannow (100% success with no error)

Is there a limit to the number/size of files that can be indexed ? Is there a way what I can try to get success here !

Best Regards, Srujan C.

Tuesday, October 1, 2019 9:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have not found official article which indicates the detail limitation of search indexing. Only find below description:
    "Windows Search Service is intended for desktop search or small file server scenarios, and not for enterprise scenarios."

If possible, please disable 3rd party process(clean boot if possible), manually re-start Windows Search service, then, change Index location (this operation will delete cached index relate file and build new one) and try to rebuild the index again to check the result. 

If problem persists, please run CHKDSK /R /F to check/repair disk, also please check Event Log based on problem happens time to find relate event. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang    

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 4, 2019 6:22 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, October 7, 2019 1:27 AM