none
EPM - Managing programmes in EPM RRS feed

• Question

• s there a way of of easily linking a set of projects to a programme in EPM? I've got a new programme starting, and i'll like to link projects to a programme....such that when i go into the programme micro site in EPM, i can see all the projects linked to the programme.

Hope this makes sense?

Sunday, January 30, 2011 10:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Oyad,

Although your detail is quite brief about the way you want to manage program, but you can manage your program by creating a Master Project. Your master project can contain all your projects related to each program, and in Project Server Views you can include the "sub project" to view your projects status. you can also create a sub-project sites as sub-site of your master project.

The first step in the process is to create a workspace for a master project and then to create sub-workspaces for each of the subprojects. To do this, the project manager must complete the following steps:

1.  Create a new blank project.

2.  Save your blank project in the Project Server database, naming it using the name of your master project.

( This blank project will become your master project later in the process.)

3.  Publish the blank project using the default settings in the Publish Project dialog.

4.  Close and check in the blank project.

5.  Open one of the projects that you want to include as a subproject in the master project.

6.  Click File > Publish.

7.  In the Publish Project dialog, select the Provision the workspace as a sub-workspace of another project option.

8.  Click the Select a Project pick list and select the blank project you published in step #3 above.

9.  Click the Publish button.

10.  Close and check in the project.

11.  Repeat steps #5-10 for each project that you want to include as a subproject of the master project.

By completing the above steps, you create a workspace for blank project and sub-workspaces for each of the projects that will become subprojects in the master project. The second step in this process is to create the master project by completing the following steps:

1.  Re-open the blank project that will serve as the master project.

2.  Click Insert > Project and select one of the projects that you want to be a subproject in the master project.

3.  Click the Insert button to insert the selected project.

4.  Repeat steps #1-3 for each subproject you want to include in the master project.

5.  Expand each of the subprojects.

6.  Save and publish the master project.

7.  When prompted to save each of the subprojects, click the Yes to All button.

8.  Close and check in the master project.

9.  When prompted to save each of the subprojects, click the Yes to All button.

Let me know if this helps.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Sunday, January 30, 2011 11:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Oyad,

Although your detail is quite brief about the way you want to manage program, but you can manage your program by creating a Master Project. Your master project can contain all your projects related to each program, and in Project Server Views you can include the "sub project" to view your projects status. you can also create a sub-project sites as sub-site of your master project.

The first step in the process is to create a workspace for a master project and then to create sub-workspaces for each of the subprojects. To do this, the project manager must complete the following steps:

1.  Create a new blank project.

2.  Save your blank project in the Project Server database, naming it using the name of your master project.

( This blank project will become your master project later in the process.)

3.  Publish the blank project using the default settings in the Publish Project dialog.

4.  Close and check in the blank project.

5.  Open one of the projects that you want to include as a subproject in the master project.

6.  Click File > Publish.

7.  In the Publish Project dialog, select the Provision the workspace as a sub-workspace of another project option.

8.  Click the Select a Project pick list and select the blank project you published in step #3 above.

9.  Click the Publish button.

10.  Close and check in the project.

11.  Repeat steps #5-10 for each project that you want to include as a subproject of the master project.

By completing the above steps, you create a workspace for blank project and sub-workspaces for each of the projects that will become subprojects in the master project. The second step in this process is to create the master project by completing the following steps:

1.  Re-open the blank project that will serve as the master project.

2.  Click Insert > Project and select one of the projects that you want to be a subproject in the master project.

3.  Click the Insert button to insert the selected project.

4.  Repeat steps #1-3 for each subproject you want to include in the master project.

5.  Expand each of the subprojects.

6.  Save and publish the master project.

7.  When prompted to save each of the subprojects, click the Yes to All button.

8.  Close and check in the master project.

9.  When prompted to save each of the subprojects, click the Yes to All button.

Let me know if this helps.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Sunday, January 30, 2011 11:32 AM
  • Hi Khurram,

many thanks for your post. It did the magic.

Thank you very much.

Regards

Dayo

Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:38 PM
  • you are always welcome my friend.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 10:25 PM
  • Hi Khurram,

Need your expert advise again - When i click on date ECF in a PDP, the calendar pops out right at the bottom of the PDP.

This only happens for dates close to the bottom of the PDP though. Calendar from dates at the top of the PDP pop out ok - Just below the entry field.

Do you know how i can resolve this please?

Hope my explanation makes sense? I tried pasting a screen dump to explain it better but the picture isn't showing.

Friday, February 18, 2011 10:53 AM