none
Error importing enterprise resources in Project 2010 RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi Everyone,

    Has anybody faced an error while opening enterprise resources in Project 2010 Professional. The error message is:


    Microsoft Project

    ===========================================================================

    An Import error occurred.

    Check row 1 column 15.

    Close programs, projects, or windows you aren't using, and then try again.

    To continue importing with additional error messages, click Yes.
    To continue importing with no error messages, click No.
    To stop importing, click Cancel.

    ===========================================================================

    Yes  No  Cancel

    Recently I've found a strange workaround that helps to solve this problem for some time, here're the steps:

    1. Determine which resource causes the problem by consequent opening enterprise resources.
    2. When the resource is found and the error message appears, click Yes (in the dialog window described above).
    3. Open Resource Information -> Notes tab
    4. In Notes text field press Ctrl-A, then press DEL.
    5. Click Ok in Resource Information window
    6. Save the resource

    The error doesn't occur during the next few openings. But then it rises again. I thought it might happen because of unprintable character or something like that in Resource notes. But both RES_NOTES and RES_RTF_NOTES are NULL in the ProjectServer_Published database.

    The error itself doesn't causes any loss of data and in fact doesn't do any harm when resources are opened in Project 2010 manually. The problem is the modal window of the error suspends execution of our in-house automation tools. That's why it is really important for me.

    Any ideas, suggestions, etc will be highly appreciated.

    Thanks  

    Friday, January 13, 2012 9:20 AM

Answers

  • Recently I had to get back to solving the described problem and finally was able to solve it. The root cause was that our custom tool was adding work week records to the resource calendar (using Project client object model, i.e. Microsoft.Office.Interop.MSProject library). One of the work week names exceeded 127 symbols. Project's UI prevents you from entering long work week names but there's no validation for such case in Microsoft.Office.Interop.MSProject lib. And since work weeks are stored as binary data, long names cause unexpected behaviour. I use simple String.Substring(0,127) method when the work week name length is greater than 127 and it works just fine.

    By the way, as I wrote in my initial post, the error message said Check row 1 column 15. And row #1 was the row with problematic resource (who should have a work week with a long name), and column #15 was Base Calendar column. So basically the hint where to start search was correct.

    Thursday, March 1, 2012 3:10 PM

All replies

  • Alexander --
     
    Out of curiosity, had you or someone else applied Bulleted List formatting to the text in the Notes page of the Resource Information dialog for the resource triggering the error?  I ask this because one of our fellow MVPs discovered that using Bulleted List formatting on task notes caused the task to become corrupted.  Because of this, we no longer recommend using Bulleted List formatting for any types of notes on tasks or resources in Project Server 2010.  Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

    Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

    Friday, January 13, 2012 3:10 PM
    Moderator
  • Thank you very much for reply, Dale.

    Bulleted List hardly might be the cause, since this resource was checked out, updated and checked in only by our custom tool using PSI. And I'm absolutely sure that Resource Notes field is not updated during the work of our in-house custom tool. Besides the problem occur only for one resource but the tool successfully works for several hundred resources. The fields updated are: 'AvailableFrom', 'AvailableTo', 'Resource Departments', 'RBS' and 'External ID' and one text enterprise custom field.

    The steps I described in my question still work. So I wonder if it is possible that PSI UpdateResource() method adds some character to Resource Notes in certain scenario?

    Monday, January 16, 2012 12:22 PM
  • Recently I had to get back to solving the described problem and finally was able to solve it. The root cause was that our custom tool was adding work week records to the resource calendar (using Project client object model, i.e. Microsoft.Office.Interop.MSProject library). One of the work week names exceeded 127 symbols. Project's UI prevents you from entering long work week names but there's no validation for such case in Microsoft.Office.Interop.MSProject lib. And since work weeks are stored as binary data, long names cause unexpected behaviour. I use simple String.Substring(0,127) method when the work week name length is greater than 127 and it works just fine.

    By the way, as I wrote in my initial post, the error message said Check row 1 column 15. And row #1 was the row with problematic resource (who should have a work week with a long name), and column #15 was Base Calendar column. So basically the hint where to start search was correct.

    Thursday, March 1, 2012 3:10 PM