none
Work column harmonising with Sharepoint task list and Project

Question

• Hi

I hope someone can help

I have Mapped a Number column in a sharepoint task list to the "Work" column in Project with the hope that when the team put 1 in the task list, 1 hour will be synced with the project plan.

However, the sync does not work how i had hoped. When the number is added to the task list, the project work column still defaults to the max work the resource can do between the start and end dates.

If I change the Sharepoint column to a text format and add " hr" or " hrs" to the number then the sync sometimes does work, however this adds complexity to the sharepoint list which I would like to avoid. I have also made a calculated field which adds the " hr"/" hrs" to the number using the concatenate formula function however I cannot seem to map "work" in MSP to this calculated field in sharepoint.

Is there a way to map these fields so project recognises the sharepoint task list's numeric value as work (in hours)

Thanks

Matt 

• Edited by Matt22365 Wednesday, April 17, 2019 10:45 AM added clarity
    Wednesday, April 17, 2019 8:52 AM

All replies

• Matt --

If your organization is using Project Online (indicated by the fact that you posted your question in the Project Online user forum), then your team members should be submitting their task progress on either the Timesheet page or the Tasks page in PWA.  They SHOULD NOT be entering and submitting their progress on the SharePoint project site, as that is NOT how Project Online works.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 10:19 PM
  • Hi Dale

Thanks for getting back to me.

We do use project online, however this is limited to only the PM's as there is no need for the individuals to have access. 

I was under the impression, through marketing materials, that a sharepoint task list and MSP plans can be mapped and updated through sharepoint. This does happen for the most part, the only field I cannot get to map correctly is the "Work".

Thanks

Matt

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 10:56 AM
  • Matt22365 --

I think you may need to rethink your assumptions about using Project Online.  Your original question indicates that you want team members to enter progress in some manner for tasks assigned to them in enterprise projects.  The Project Site is the WRONG location for them to enter progress, and your assumptions about using the Project Site for this purpose are simply incorrect.

Your team members should be submitting their task progress on either the Timesheet page or the Tasks page in PWA.  This means that you are going to need to get the Essentials license for them so that they can use Project Online properly.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 3:09 PM