none
convenience PIN length requirements in domain-joined WSE2016 client RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I recently rebuilt a computer and the connector software as domain-joined. By default, that disabled Windows Hello. I could no longer use the fingerprint scanner or PIN. I found references on the web to change group policies on the server to re-enable those. I did, and both PIN and fingerprint now work, but the PIN length requirement is now 6 digits rather than 4.

The resolution does not involve Windows Hello for Business. Instead, the use of a "convenience" PIN is enabled. That's a separate rule. I searched everywhere for a rule governing PIN length but found nothing. To be clear, I found lines in the GPO editor that address that, but they're not enabled and the default does not appear to require 6 digits.

Can anyone suggest a place that I can revise the required PIN length back to 4?

Thanks

Monday, May 25, 2020 11:45 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Thank you for posting in our TechNet forum.

To re-enable the PIN sign-in option, we could enable the below policy. 
    Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Turn on convenience PIN sign-in  

As for the PIN length, I searched and found it under the below policy.

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Hello for Business\PIN Complexity 

Besides, according to my research, some documents specify this location: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\PIN Complexity

The default values are 4 for both the maximum and minimum PIN lengths.

We could try to configure the maximum and minimum PIN length to check whether we could revise the PIN length back to 4. Here we would like to share with you the below article. 
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/80805-specify-maximum-minimum-pin-length-windows-10-a.html

Hope the information is helpful. For any question, please feel free to contact us.

Tip: This answer contains the content of a third-party website. Microsoft makes no representations about the content of these websites. We provide this content only for your convenience.

Best regards,
    Hannah Xiong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by ChrisCowles Wednesday, May 27, 2020 1:35 PM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2020 5:47 AM