none
What is Protected baseline and unprotected baseline in MPP

Question

• Hello All,

I would like to understand how protected and unprotected baseline works? My requirement is to stop my Team leads from changing the baseline once the plan is baselined no one should be allowed to change it.

Regards

Shahrukh

Thursday, October 07, 2010 10:21 AM

Answers

• Hi Shahrukh,

are you working with Project Server? I am currently not aware of any protected baseline in project client. If my assumption is correct, please post your questions for project server at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general in future, since this forum is for project client. Moreover, it is always helpful if version is mentioned ;-).

So assuming you are working with project server. At http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197622.aspx, there is a good explanation in my opinion. It is for Project Server 2010, but it does also apply to 2007:

Save Protected Baseline:
    Allows a user to save a protected baseline or clear a protected baseline associated with an enterprise project published to the Project Server database. Grant this permission to project managers who have to save baselines in their projects. Baselines are saved by using the Set Baseline functionality accessed from the Project Professional ribbon on the Project tab in the Schedule group. Click the Set Baseline button and then select Save Baseline or Clear Baseline. Protected Baselines are in the range of Baseline 0-5 inclusive. Only users who have Save Unprotected Baseline, Open Project and Save Project Category permissions are able to save Baselines in Baseline 6-10.

You can't protect your baseline as you ask for. If a user is allowed to save a protected baseline initially, he will also be able to modify. You would have to separate this responisblity to another group, if needed. Only a few users are allowed to save Baseline 0-5, and they need to be asked to do so by other PMs or team leads.

Does that help?
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by shahrukh9741 Thursday, October 07, 2010 11:50 AM
    Thursday, October 07, 2010 10:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Shahrukh,

are you working with Project Server? I am currently not aware of any protected baseline in project client. If my assumption is correct, please post your questions for project server at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general in future, since this forum is for project client. Moreover, it is always helpful if version is mentioned ;-).

So assuming you are working with project server. At http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197622.aspx, there is a good explanation in my opinion. It is for Project Server 2010, but it does also apply to 2007:

Save Protected Baseline:
    Allows a user to save a protected baseline or clear a protected baseline associated with an enterprise project published to the Project Server database. Grant this permission to project managers who have to save baselines in their projects. Baselines are saved by using the Set Baseline functionality accessed from the Project Professional ribbon on the Project tab in the Schedule group. Click the Set Baseline button and then select Save Baseline or Clear Baseline. Protected Baselines are in the range of Baseline 0-5 inclusive. Only users who have Save Unprotected Baseline, Open Project and Save Project Category permissions are able to save Baselines in Baseline 6-10.

You can't protect your baseline as you ask for. If a user is allowed to save a protected baseline initially, he will also be able to modify. You would have to separate this responisblity to another group, if needed. Only a few users are allowed to save Baseline 0-5, and they need to be asked to do so by other PMs or team leads.

Does that help?
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by shahrukh9741 Thursday, October 07, 2010 11:50 AM
    Thursday, October 07, 2010 10:47 AM
  • Hello Barbara,

Thanks for the swift response!!

Yes, you are absolutely right, I am working on Microsoft project Server 2007.

Now i am clear about the Concept of Protected and Unprotected baselines.

Regards

Shahrukh

Thursday, October 07, 2010 11:50 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

I have question related to restricting baseline, and since this thread was about the same topic so thought of posting here instead of opening a new thread.

you might have noticed this that even if you deny to save the protected/un-protected baseline from the server, the user is not allowed to SET THE BASELINE  but yet allowed to change the baseline start/finish date value manually, any idea why?

I might missing something to understand which is very common about this concept, could you please explain the purpose of such design?

many thanks.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Monday, February 14, 2011 11:13 AM
  • Hi Khurram,

you haven't mentioned the version, but I think you are asking for 2010.

Seems that you found an issue in 2010: Without being allowed to save protected baseline, you

• can't save Baseline0-5
    • can't clear Baseline0-5
    • can't edit timephase data for Basline0-5
    • but you CAN edit Baseline0-5 fields Duration, Start, Work, ...

This behaviour is different to Project Server 2007. With the same permissions there, Baseline0-5 fields are also protected against modification.

So if you need a change on this, I suggest to open a support call to get it fixed (I can't imagine any reasons to be this be design ;-)). Maybe it was resolved by any CU so far, but I can't remember to have read about this before.

Regards
    Barbara

Monday, February 14, 2011 12:05 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

thanks for the reply.

i also didnt digest it as a design when i have discovered in a first place, but then googling led me to the pretty old post by dale howard where he answered something smiliar and explained as a design. (perhaps it might be 'me' who understood his post wrong)

let me tell you the more interesting facts, using project profession 2010 connected with PS2010 in my case:

• cant save baseline 0-5
    • cant clear baseline 0-5
    • CAN edit baseline 0-5  Duration,start date, finish date only
    • CANT edit baseline 0-5 Work and cost

using project professional 2007 connected with PS2010:

• cant save baseline 0-5
    • cant clear baseline 0-5
    • CANT edit baseline 0-5  Duration,work,cost,start date, finish date

so it definitely looks like a BUG, but the client side i.e. Project Professional 2010 not the project server 2010.

My server is patched up to the DEC CU, let me search and apply the latest patch of Project Prof to see if it still the case. will update you the results.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Monday, February 14, 2011 1:15 PM
  • Hi Khurram.

you may be correct to see it as a client issue. But I am not sure: If you are able to connect with Project Client 2007, you are running BCM ... and this can also be the reason for some differences.

Regards
    Barbara

P.s.: Sorry for "but you CAN edit Baseline0-5 fields Duration, Start, Work, ... ", I wanted to write Finish.

Monday, February 14, 2011 1:26 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

my first observation, wiz of Project 2010 connected with PS2010, PWA instance was not BCM enabled.

however for my second test, i connected Project 2007 with the PS2010 PWA instance BCM ENABLED.

so that doubt can also be eliminated that the BCM is causing such behavior.

and the lastest Project 2010 fix does not seem to contain any such fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466263

cant find any CU for project 2010 either.

Monday, February 14, 2011 1:38 PM
  • Hi,

Just want to update that i have applied the Project Professional 2010 DEC hot fix but no luck.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 7:23 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

I'm havingthe same problemin my organization
    There is alreadya fixfor this difficulty
    Khurram Jamshed

I have question related to restricting baseline, and since this thread was about the same topic so thought of posting here instead of opening a new thread.

you might have noticed this that even if you deny to save the protected/un-protected baseline from the server, the user is not allowed to SET THE BASELINE  but yet allowed to change the baseline start/finish date value manually, any idea why?

I might missing something to understand which is very common about this concept, could you please explain the purpose of such design?

many thanks.

Hezequias Vasconcelos

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 12:18 PM
  • Thx for the answer, but I would like to ask: What is the difference between protected and unprotected baseline (except the 0-5 and 6-10 numbering)?
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:32 AM