none
Prioritizing projects in project portfolio RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I have a question about adding a priority among projects in Project Center.

I don't want to use Business Drivers to define which project has higher priority, because I already know what project is more important than other.

So, my question is, is there a way I could rank them by manually adding priority to each project ?

Thanks and best regards,

Sanja

Thursday, May 18, 2017 8:18 AM

Answers

• There is no automatic way to assign resources, neither to add resources from the enterprise resource pool in the project team based on custom fields. This is definitely a manual operation. Since you're on Project Server and not Project Online, you cannot use the new resource engagement feature, but anyway, it would not be linked in any way to the project priority.

I would rather set up a communication process, like a monthly portfolio review to assign resources on projects and then cascade it to project managers. To support this process, you could use capacity planning default view or custom reports to check resources availability and demand per priority.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Thursday, May 18, 2017 12:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Sanja,

You could add a project custom field "Project Priroty" with a list of value starting with a number:

• 1-HIGH
    • 2-MEDIUM
    • 3-LOW

And then have a view in the project center grouped by priority level, or just sorting the projects using the custom field (previously added to the project center's view).

Hope this helps,

Thursday, May 18, 2017 10:14 AM
  • Thanks Guillaume,

Do you think there is a way, I could assign a resources in accordance with this prioritization?

Best regards,

Sanja

Thursday, May 18, 2017 11:53 AM
  • There is no automatic way to assign resources, neither to add resources from the enterprise resource pool in the project team based on custom fields. This is definitely a manual operation. Since you're on Project Server and not Project Online, you cannot use the new resource engagement feature, but anyway, it would not be linked in any way to the project priority.

I would rather set up a communication process, like a monthly portfolio review to assign resources on projects and then cascade it to project managers. To support this process, you could use capacity planning default view or custom reports to check resources availability and demand per priority.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, May 18, 2017 12:30 PM
  • Thanks, Guillaume!
    Thursday, May 18, 2017 12:53 PM