none
Why MS Project is using only one Core, I just bought a six core I7 Processor and i was disappointed RRS feed

• General discussion

• plz if any body know how to make use the full processor cores because I ran 5000 activity project and its very slow even with the latest processors 
    • Changed type Mohamed Atef Kh Monday, August 6, 2018 7:34 AM found the solution
    Thursday, August 2, 2018 2:27 PM

All replies

• 5000 activity project is not large, and  should not task even the slowest processors. Something else going on with your computer or perhaps the MPP file is corrupted.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Sunday, August 5, 2018 12:29 PM
  • Mohamed,

I agree wholeheartedly with Rob, 5000 tasks is not a large Project plan. Here are some things that could effect performance

1. Are you operating over a network?

2. How many resources do you have?

3. Do you have inserted graphics or links to other applications (e.g. hyperlinks or paste links)?

4. Is the file part of a linked structure (i.e. master with inserted subprojects or resource pool with sharer files)?

5. Are you operating natively on a Windows PC or are you running Project on a virtual machine?

6. Are you simultaneously running other applications that "hog" processor resources?

7. Are you using resource leveling?

As Rob noted, it is possible your file is corrupt. You could try saving to XML and then re-open the XML in Project. Note, you will lose any custom formatting using this process.

Sunday, August 5, 2018 3:47 PM
  • Hello,

It's not just the number of tasks that determines the size of the project file. For example, you could have a project with only 1000 tasks each with a duration of 10+ years, 1000 resources assigned to each task and 10 baselines set - that would be quite large.

What is slow? Slow to open? Slow to re calculate? Slow to save?

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Sunday, August 5, 2018 9:25 PM
  • its not only the number of activities, its the resource leveling 

I did some search and found out that for dependent algorithms like calculations and resource leveling you cant use more than one processor core and the multi core is for the multi tasking purpose and its all about the one core speed

any way , thanks for the answer

Monday, August 6, 2018 7:33 AM
  • Mohamed,

If you have a very complex plan with lots of resource overallocation, then yes, it probably will take some time for Project's leveling algorithm to attempt resolving the overallocations. Here are a couple of suggestions for reducing that overhead.

If you have a plan that spans more than a few months, you might focus leveling on just the near term tasks and address future issues using a "rolling" resolution process.

Is the level of detail in your plan finer than it really needs to be? A good plan is a balance of just enough detail to describe the work being performed without too much detail that is difficult and takes a lot of time to manage.

John

Monday, August 6, 2018 2:57 PM
  • To answer your original question about 6 core threads, client process programs do not use extra threads unless this  processes that can be run in parallel.  SQL Server is a good example of running many threads, however when SharePoint server is configure with SQL server, it limits the threads to one as part of the installation.  MAXPROC = 1

Basically project client is not design to use multiple threads.   As others point out above, the issue is somewhere in your project schedule.   I would look for task with more than 8 resources, assignments with less than a minute a day with long duration of several years. 

Michael Wharton, Project MVP, MBA, PMP and a Great Guy <br/> Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com <br/> Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Monday, August 6, 2018 4:35 PM