none
Windows update help Server 2012 Essentials RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows Server 2012 Essentials but is stuck "checking for updates" This will not patch and receive any information. I have renamed the Softwaredistribution Folder.

I have run a SFC /Scannow - CBS Errors

Run a DISM / ...../Restore health - restored Corruptable Component but no luck since.

Anyone else having this issue or any ideas of how to fix the issues?

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 7:54 PM

Answers

• Microsoft is a joke! :-O

We've run into this issue for many years now... For some really bizarre reason, Windows Server 2012 will never find any Windows Updates when the "Desktop Experience" feature is installed (as it is by default on Windows Server 2012 Essentials). In order to receive Windows Updates, you will need to uninstall the Desktop Experience feature. Typically, that is done via Server Manager, but Essentials has it locked down (i.e. grayed out) from there. Therefore you'll need to use the following PowerShell cmdlet to do it instead (from an elevated "Run as administrator" PowerShell prompt):

Uninstall-WindowsFeature Desktop-Experience

NOTE: A reboot of the server will be required to complete the uninstall. After that, you can then go check for (and install) Windows Updates again.

You can then reinstall the Desktop Experience feature, at any time, via Server Manager or by running the following PowerShell cmdlet (from an elevated "Run as administrator" PowerShell prompt):

Install-WindowsFeature Desktop-Experience

For more info see:

Windows Server 2012 Essentials stuck searching for updates?

Install Desktop Experience On Windows Server 2012

Desktop Experience Feature

• Marked as answer by ClaireSim Tuesday, September 17, 2019 8:50 PM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 8:21 PM

All replies

• Microsoft is a joke! :-O

We've run into this issue for many years now... For some really bizarre reason, Windows Server 2012 will never find any Windows Updates when the "Desktop Experience" feature is installed (as it is by default on Windows Server 2012 Essentials). In order to receive Windows Updates, you will need to uninstall the Desktop Experience feature. Typically, that is done via Server Manager, but Essentials has it locked down (i.e. grayed out) from there. Therefore you'll need to use the following PowerShell cmdlet to do it instead (from an elevated "Run as administrator" PowerShell prompt):

Uninstall-WindowsFeature Desktop-Experience

NOTE: A reboot of the server will be required to complete the uninstall. After that, you can then go check for (and install) Windows Updates again.

You can then reinstall the Desktop Experience feature, at any time, via Server Manager or by running the following PowerShell cmdlet (from an elevated "Run as administrator" PowerShell prompt):

Install-WindowsFeature Desktop-Experience

For more info see:

Windows Server 2012 Essentials stuck searching for updates?

Install Desktop Experience On Windows Server 2012

Desktop Experience Feature

• Marked as answer by ClaireSim Tuesday, September 17, 2019 8:50 PM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 8:21 PM
  • wow! that simple! i can confirm this has worked.

thank you so much! 

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 8:48 PM