none
Project Server 2013 Custom Field not displaying Default value from lookup table. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am in the midst of upgrading from PS 2010 to PS 2013 and have encountered issues with the Project Fields web part misbehaving in some areas:

1.  The drop down list does NOT reflect the default value anymore.  It shows the list just not the default.  Not only is the default value not selected it is not shown as the Default value in the drop down list.

2.  It takes many clicks of the mouse cursor over the selection in the drop down list box for it to actually pick the selection and populate the box.

3.  The drop down box includes a Search window that is a nuisance for lookup tables that have 3-4 values.

These appear to be SP 2013 issues with the Web Part and not Project Server, but I have searched through Google and have not had any luck finding someone that has encountered a similar issue. 

Anyone else seen this or can steer me in a place to look?

Thanks,

Jeff

Monday, January 26, 2015 4:57 PM

All replies

• Jeff,

I think this is some value visibility problem in the control. I think the default value is still set, it just doesn't appear in the box initially. I've seen this both on premises and online. If the field is required, you should be able to save without a selection.

#3, I see your point. However, it is helpful if you have 50 values. Unfortunately, the control makes no determination as to when to show the search box. There's really no right answer as to when you should see it so they chose to show it all the time.

Are you on-premises or online? If on-premises, what's your patch level?

Treb Gatte, Project MVP | http://www.tumbleroad.com | @TumbleRoad | Take Our 2015 Project Administrator Survey

Monday, January 26, 2015 9:41 PM
  • Yes, these are required custom fields, however in my instance if I dont select anything the list box remains blank and I receive an error message that this is a required field and must be filled in.  Ironically, subsequent PDPs for the same EPT that are not part of the New Project creation yet have required custom fields with default values from a lookup table are filled in correctly at creation time.

We are ONPREM installation with patch level 

I was hoping that there were some properties files for the control at the site level that I could adjust to make these dropdown lists behave like the 2010 instance.  I am curious if this behavior is because the instance was migrated from 2010 to 2013?

Thanks,   Jeff

Monday, January 26, 2015 10:31 PM
  • Are you able to view any changes that was done recently in the Lookup table? If not then looks like the Enterprise Global is not updated.

Cheers! Happy troubleshooting !!! Dinesh S. Rai - MSFT Enterprise Project Management Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, January 29, 2015 9:10 PM
  • We're having the same problem.  Project Server 2013, on prem with June 2016 CU installed.

We have enterprise custom fields with default values specified, marked as required.  When we create a new project the defaults don't get applied.  When we try to check in we get the error that the required field hasn't been set.

I had a theory that it was related to something possibly specified in the Schedule Template, however I have consistently recreated the issue for a new EPT that has no Schedule Template associated.

Quite frustrating to see this hasn't been resolved in almost 18 months since this was first posted!

Has anyone discovered a simple means of raising bug tickets?  I don't mind these small bugs taking months to get resolved, as they are mostly annoyances.  Unfortunately I have found the only means of getting help is to engage phone support, which is often frustrating and time consuming.

--- UPDATE ---

After some additional offline discussion we've worked out:

1. The "Choose a value to use as a default when adding new items" probably doesn't work?

2. If there's a Project Plan Template associated with your EPT then set the default in here.

3. If there's NO Project Plan Template associated with your EPT then create a new blank one.  Then set the default in here.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 1:18 AM
  • Hey Mark Holst - Australia,
    your updated post solution is working. You need to change the default values in Enterprise Schedule Template -> Project Info.

Monday, July 8, 2019 8:32 AM