none
Upcoming tasks report erroneusly uses Task Starting Soon filter

Question

• Hi,

I'm studyng Project 2013's new features and I came across the "Upcoming tasks" report (under Dashboard). As also stated here (http://office.microsoft.com/en-ie/project-help/pick-the-right-report-HA102843515.aspx), the table lists the tasks that are starting in the NEXT week. It uses the Tasks Starting Soon filter, but it filters the tasks starting the CURRENT week (See code and results).

How could I create a filter that will consider the NEXT week?

I noticed that Project 2013 introduced some "magic" text in order not to show the dialog box when it finds the "?" at the end of the filter's clauses. For instance,

Start | is greater than or equal to | "Start of the week is:"?

does not trigger the dialog box (and takes as value the start of the actual week), while

Start | is greater than or equal to | "Start of the week is"?

instead does (since the ":" is missing).

Is there a way of adding some math to the above? Something like:

Start | is greater than or equal to | "Start of the week is:"?+7d

Thank you for all the help you would give me :)

Regards,

Nino

Monday, March 31, 2014 9:14 AM

All replies

• NinoLimoni --

I think the closest you could get to your reporting requirement is to show tasks that are upcoming during the current month.  Take a look at the Milestones Due This Month filter to get an idea of how to create it.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, March 31, 2014 1:10 PM
  • Hi Nino,

This article might answer some of your questions:

• http://www.msptips.com/ThisWeeksTasks.html

Also this link might help you building dynamic filter:

• http://www.techrepublic.com/forums/questions/ms-project-creating-a-dynamic-date-filter/#.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Monday, March 31, 2014 1:17 PM
  • Nino,

Filter does not use the date information from the computer's clock. So just simply change the Current Date (see the Project Information dialog box) to a day in the next week (e.g., +7 day) and then run the report. Project will reset the Current Date to computer's clock when you reopen the file. 

I would not suggest but you can as well calculate the start of the next week (or any week) (just search, there are tons of Excel formulas doing the same thing on the internet) by using a custom date field formula and then use the field in the filter in a comparison against Scheduled Start (not Start !!! - presuming your tasks are all auto-scheduled).  

Pls post for feedback. Good luck...

Regards, Ismet

Monday, March 31, 2014 5:53 PM
  • Ismet --

I want to congratulate you for sharing this clever workaround.  Well done, my friend!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, March 31, 2014 6:40 PM
  • Hi Ismet,

thank you very much for your explanation ad advice!

Both workarounds worked fine, but why should I use Scheduled Start and not merely Start? The online help (http://office.microsoft.com/en-za/project-help/scheduled-start-task-field-HA010371090.aspx) states that they're identical in case of auto-scheduled tasks, while in case of manual scheduled tasks that field contains the date Project recommends to use, even if Start is different. So, should I have a manually scheduled task starting next week, I would like my filter to show it, even if Project think it should start another day.

Finally, I appreciated all your workarounds, but do you confirm to me that it's a sort of bug? The report  (and online help guides) keep saying that the table contains tasks starting the FOLLOWING week...

Thank you again (I mean Dale and Guillaume too),

Nino

Monday, March 31, 2014 8:42 PM
  • Thank you Dale.

Nino,

It's been discussed many times before. So if I have to reword it, the Scheduled Start field can only be compared with the date type data (e.g. the Date1 field) in a filter since it is a date type field. On the other hand, the Start field is a text type field that allows us to enter even text information such as TBD, or text that can be recognized as date and/or time information. In the filter mentioned, Project handles these details on the background. You can insert the fields Scheduled Start/Finish/Duration and the fields Start/Finish/Duration to a task table and test how they work in either one of the two task modes.   

No, IMO, it is not a bug. I wouldn't worry about what it says on the title/article, just click and change it in the report. If the filter works in the way you want, it is just fine. 

Regards, Ismet

Monday, March 31, 2014 10:00 PM
  • Thank you, Ismet.

I surely missed the former discussions about the difference between the 2 fields. However, why all the built-in filters use Start and not Scheduled Start?

Still, having a report that states that the tasks below are of a certain type (eg: starting the next week) while they are not it's very misleading. Right tasks will be omitted and other ones erroneusly taken into consideration. I agree that, knowing that the report uses a filter and that this filter does something different, I could fix the text labels or create a new (=correct) filter. But I think that software users should trust what they read, and not dig in the code to find out if it's the truth or not.

Regards,

Nino

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 7:55 AM
  • Nino,

>> However, why all the built-in filters use Start and not Scheduled Start?

IMO, filters are not supposed to exclude manually-scheduled tasks holding valid dates. Also note that those built-in filters are the interactive ones. If you want a filter for both types, you need to do the same thing. But it is a complex stuff to handle a date comparison when both sides contain text representing dates in a filter criterion; this is what Project performs perfectly on the background. As the third alternative, apply autofilter to the Start column, and then mark the tasks that you want to include in the report by using a flag field and then filter the tasks for the flag field in the report. 

>> Still, having a report that states that the tasks below are of a certain type (eg: starting the next week) while they are not it's very misleading.

As I said, I am fine with it unless it is contained in the executable code. I can customize it anyway. 

If you like, I am available for more offline discussions, pls check my profile for email information. And pls see the articles that Guillaume has already mentioned above (Thanks Guillaume !)

Regards, Ismet

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 10:12 AM
  • Hi Ismet,

thank you again for your patience and availability. I am a relative newbie in Project and I confess I have been stumbled upon these new reports quite a bit, after realizing that they were built over those filters. Every book/guide kept repeating that the filter would return task starting the following week and I couldn't replicate that behaviour. Now I know the reason :) I would never thought that Project was "lying"...

I came across the articles suggested by Guillaume even before writing in this forum: they saved me from another headache while I was figuring out why the hell the "?" wouldn't trigger the dialog boxes to open.

Just to share it, I read this article too:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/18740.how-to-create-an-intelligent-tasks-due-today-filter-in-ms-project-2013-desktop.aspx

where I learnt the existence of another "magic" text: "Today is:".

Regards,

Nino

• Proposed as answer by LesCous Saturday, September 9, 2017 9:29 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by LesCous Saturday, September 9, 2017 9:29 PM
    • Proposed as answer by LesCous Saturday, September 9, 2017 9:29 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by LesCous Saturday, September 9, 2017 9:29 PM
    Tuesday, April 1, 2014 11:41 AM
  • Links have changed, sorry for any inconvenience to the forum visitors. Here are the updated links:

This week's tasks: http://www.ismetkocaman.com/MSPROJECT/ThisWeeksTasks.html

The "tasks due today" filter: http://www.ismetkocaman.com/MSPROJECT/#Tip29

Ismet Kocaman | eBook on Formulas

Sunday, September 10, 2017 8:41 AM