none
How to delete a SQL Server local security group on Windows 10 Home? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I am trying to uninstall Microsoft SQL Server from my machine. Uninstall instructions say one must delete all local security groups for SQL Server components before uninstalling, however I cannot figure how to do this on Windows 10 Home. I have found online two ways of doing this, but neither has worked.

The first way is through 'Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Local Users and Groups'. Because I have Home edition, the 'Local Users and Groups' option does not seem to be available so I cannot delete anything this way. Running MCM.exe and trying to add the respective snap-in doesn't work either (error says "This snap-in cannot be used with this edition of Windows...").

The second way is through PowerShell. If I use the cmdlet:

Get-LocalGroup

I can see a SQL Sever group called:

SQLServer2005SQLBrowserUser$<computername>
    However, if I try to delete it using the cmdlet:
    Remove-LocalGroup -Name "SQLServer2005SQLBrowserUser$<computername>"
    I get an error message saying that no such group exists, as it cannot read what follow the dollar sign ($). Since -Name doesn't accept wildcards here, I don't know how to tell PowerShell to delete this group.

What am I doing wrong here? Is there anther way to do this?

Sorry if this is a newbie question, but I am currently at a loss and cannot find any other ideas how to do this.

Thank you.

Sunday, June 16, 2019 8:23 AM

Answers

• I will have to admit that I have never read the uninstall instructions very closely, but that you would have to delete all security groups before uninstalling is a bit unexpected. Then again, I don't uninstall SQL Server very often...

Anyway, I think the questions about how to uninstall the security groups are better asked in a forum about Windows 10 Home.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Sunday, June 16, 2019 8:57 AM
  • Good day fhurtado,

>> "The SQL Server Browser service is uninstalled when the last instance of SQL Server is removed."

Thanks for your reply Ronen.

I'm not sure I understand whether the website you linked to refers to the exact problem at hand. The website says that the SQL Server Browser service is uninstalled along SQL Server, but I don't know if this implies that the associated local security group is deleted when SQL Server Browser is uninstalled. After all, the uninstall instructions do mention that the local security groups of all components must be deleted before uninstalling.

Can you please help a newbie understand?

Thanks again! :)

Ohhhhh...mmmmm.....grrrrrrrrr...🙄...

>> I don't know if this implies that the associated local security group is deleted when SQL Server Browser is uninstalled.

I don't know😲
    As Erland said, maybe this question better fit to Windows forum

But it should be really simple to answer this!
    All we need is to try and check.

I do not remember the behavior right now, and unfortunately I cannot check it in the next several weeks...

The balance of the Azure account which I use for the communities activities is almost zero! I started to clean all my MVP Azure account before the balance will reach zero. Hopefully next month I will be able to test this and re-build my community testing environment😃

Maybe you can test it in your company account using new VM machine created only for this test?

In  any case, I am against uninstalling or upgrade SQL Server versions. In most cases I simply prefer to prepare new machine for the new installation. If I had to do this (and this is not advice or recommendation) then I would probably do the up-install and try to clean the associated local security group (which is not what recommended by Microsoft documentation).

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Sunday, June 16, 2019 8:16 PM

All replies

• I will have to admit that I have never read the uninstall instructions very closely, but that you would have to delete all security groups before uninstalling is a bit unexpected. Then again, I don't uninstall SQL Server very often...

Anyway, I think the questions about how to uninstall the security groups are better asked in a forum about Windows 10 Home.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Sunday, June 16, 2019 8:57 AM
  • Sunday, June 16, 2019 12:19 PM
  • Anyway, I think the questions about how to uninstall the security groups are better asked in a forum about Windows 10 Home.

I did, but haven't gotten any answers there. Figured maybe someone over here might have ran into the same problem in the past and knew what to do.
    Sunday, June 16, 2019 7:16 PM
  • Good day fhurtado,

>> "The SQL Server Browser service is uninstalled when the last instance of SQL Server is removed."

I'm not sure I understand whether the website you linked to refers to the exact problem at hand. The website says that the SQL Server Browser service is uninstalled along SQL Server, but I don't know if this implies that the associated local security group is deleted when SQL Server Browser is uninstalled. After all, the uninstall instructions do mention that the local security groups of all components must be deleted before uninstalling.

Sunday, June 16, 2019 7:38 PM
  • Good day fhurtado,

Ohhhhh...mmmmm.....grrrrrrrrr...🙄...

>> I don't know if this implies that the associated local security group is deleted when SQL Server Browser is uninstalled.

I don't know😲
    As Erland said, maybe this question better fit to Windows forum

But it should be really simple to answer this!
    All we need is to try and check.

I do not remember the behavior right now, and unfortunately I cannot check it in the next several weeks...

The balance of the Azure account which I use for the communities activities is almost zero! I started to clean all my MVP Azure account before the balance will reach zero. Hopefully next month I will be able to test this and re-build my community testing environment😃

Maybe you can test it in your company account using new VM machine created only for this test?

In  any case, I am against uninstalling or upgrade SQL Server versions. In most cases I simply prefer to prepare new machine for the new installation. If I had to do this (and this is not advice or recommendation) then I would probably do the up-install and try to clean the associated local security group (which is not what recommended by Microsoft documentation).

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Sunday, June 16, 2019 8:16 PM
  • Hello Everyone,

I am trying to uninstall Microsoft SQL Server from my machine. Uninstall instructions say one must delete all local security groups for SQL Server components before uninstalling, however I cannot figure how to do this on Windows 10 Home. I have found online two ways of doing this, but neither has worked.

The first way is through 'Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Local Users and Groups'. Because I have Home edition, the 'Local Users and Groups' option does not seem to be available so I cannot delete anything this way. Running MCM.exe and trying to add the respective snap-in doesn't work either (error says "This snap-in cannot be used with this edition of Windows...").

The second way is through PowerShell. If I use the cmdlet:

Get-LocalGroup 
    I can see a SQL Sever group called:
    SQLServer2005SQLBrowserUser$<computername>.

However, if I try to delete it using the cmdlet:

Remove-LocalGroup -Name "SQLServer2005SQLBrowserUser$<computername>

I get an error message saying that no such group exists, as it cannot read what follow the dollar sign ($). Since -Name doesn't accept wildcards here, I don't know how to tell PowerShell to delete this group.

What am I doing wrong here? Is there anther way to do this?

Sorry if this is a newbie question, but I am currently at a loss and cannot find any other ideas how to do this.

Thank you.

Monday, June 17, 2019 10:48 AM
  • Huh, sorry about the double post. I thought technet and the SQL Server were different forums! I was sent to technet from the Windows 10 forums, so I guess no one is sure how to address this :(

I'll ask on StackOverflow for some feedback. If anyone there knows the answer, I'll make sure to update here for future reference.

RE: Ronen,

I cannot try this on a VM since I installed this on my personal computer, not an Azure instance. I don't have access to Azure, I was just trying SQL Server for machine learning with Python, but right now need to move it to a different drive. I only installed it for learning purposes, thus my newbie mistakes!

Anyhow, thanks everyone for your help. If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Monday, June 17, 2019 9:32 PM
  • anyone has an idea?

Friday, June 28, 2019 9:17 AM
  • Huh, sorry about the double post. I thought technet and the SQL Server were different forums! I was sent to technet from the Windows 10 forums, so I guess no one is sure how to address this :(

I'll ask on StackOverflow for some feedback. If anyone there knows the answer, I'll make sure to update here for future reference.

RE: Ronen,

I cannot try this on a VM since I installed this on my personal computer, not an Azure instance. I don't have access to Azure, I was just trying SQL Server for machine learning with Python, but right now need to move it to a different drive. I only installed it for learning purposes, thus my newbie mistakes!

Anyhow, thanks everyone for your help. If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Any luck on Stack Overflow?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Thursday, August 8, 2019 9:05 PM
    Owner