none
Timesheet Issues in PWA 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• My company just upgraded from Project 2003 to Project 2010. In PWA 2003 timesheet view, we were able to see our summary tasks, as well as the Task IDs. I cannot find a way to display either in PWA 2010. I've read the above notes, and I have to believe that there is some way to create a custom view or change the existing Timesheet View to allow the display of where each task is in the plan. I've tried creating a custom Timesheet View, using the "Timesheet" template, but that doesn't provide an option to select either field (Summary task or Task ID).

Here's the deal: I have a project plan that has over 1,800 tasks, many of which repeat multiple times within each phase and across phases, and the resources are also repeating the work across the phases. This plan has up to NINE levels of tasks in various places. So now, my resources see dozens of the same task name in their timesheet views with no context as to where each task falls in the plan.  The Task Hierarchy column is NOT a sufficient solution for my needs.

I would appreciate any and all help in figuring out how to display Summary Tasks and Task IDs in the Timesheet View.

Thanks and happy planning!

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 2:24 PM

All replies

• I totally agree with your finding as above you mentioned It's possible in PWA 2003 but when it comes to PWA 2010 it is not available. 

Many of my customer raised same issue for PWA 201o but unfortunately you can not see Summary task in the Timesheet view. Both you and your users have to live with this and accept the changes brought by MS.

The workaround of this problem is you can use group by first Project Name then "Task Hierarchy field".  

As far as custom view is concerned see the link

I can also understand users raise voice and will not be happy to use it as they are habitual to use old functionality but many of the old features gets deprecated with the new version of several product.

kirtesh

• Edited by Kirteshtiw Wednesday, February 5, 2014 3:40 PM
    Wednesday, February 5, 2014 3:32 PM
  • Thank you so much. Do you know if there is a way to display the Task ID field in the timesheet view?

Also, I'm having an issue where tasks are disappearing from folk's timesheets. I thought it was a remaining work issue (in that remaining work was set to 0 so the task disappeared), or that the finish date for that task had passed. I've tested it, and that is not the case. Any ideas?

Thursday, February 6, 2014 10:22 PM
  • By Default the tasks that shows in timesheet are

1. Start is before end of current period
    2. Finish is not before start of current period
    3. Remaining Work for current resource assignment is greater than zero

For TaskID is not available in timesheet page. Most of times task hierarchy is used then you can do a group by task hierarchy which will take you closest to sort by task ID.

Gaurav 

Thanks Gaurav Wason MCITP, PMP

Friday, February 7, 2014 5:45 AM
  • Amanda,

By default Task ID will not be present in Timesheet view or you can not add it onto view. IF you want task id then you have to create a task level custom field give ID value to the task manually then you can add that custom field onto timesheet view but this approach will lead lot of pain for project owner.

Tasks are disappearing because ""IF FINISH DATE OF THE TASK IS BEFORE THE PERIOD START DATE TASK WILL NOT APPEAR IN THAT TIMESHEET""

AS far as Remaining work is concerned ""REMAINING WORK OF ASSIGNMENT NEED TO HAVE GRATER THAN 0 HOURS ""

kirtesh

• Proposed as answer by Kirteshtiw Friday, February 7, 2014 5:56 AM
    • Edited by Kirteshtiw Saturday, February 8, 2014 12:51 PM Task word was misleading
    Friday, February 7, 2014 5:56 AM
  • Kirtesh,

If there are two resources assigned to a task and one of the resource has remaining work is zero then for that resource that assignment will not show in timesheet. So the remaining work of task is greater than zero but task will not show in timesheet as remaining work for that assignment is zero.

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by Gaurav Wason Friday, February 7, 2014 2:05 PM
    Friday, February 7, 2014 1:11 PM
  • Thank you so much. That makes complete sense. Is there a way to change the default so that all tasks display, regardless of start and finish dates, unless I go into Timesheet Settings as the Project Office admin and manually remove the task from their views OR change they change their remaining work to zero (or I close out the plan and change the resources from committed to proposed, etc)?

I know this goes against PM planning on production projects, but I'm working on project plans that are more administrative in nature, but still have some production aspects that require me to NOT label it as an administrative plan in Project.

Again, thank you all for your help - I'm so very grateful to these active forums on TechNet!

Amanda

Friday, February 7, 2014 2:02 PM
  • Yes, I found that I have to go into task usage view (or another assignment view), not just tracking gantt, to update remaining work, so that I can do it on a resource basis, and not a task basis.
    Friday, February 7, 2014 2:04 PM
  • Best option is to train the users to make sure remaining work is greater then zero or teach them how to add task in their timesheet again using insert row button.

Thanks

Friday, February 7, 2014 2:12 PM
  • Okay - thanks so much. I wanted to make sure I wasn't just missing something before I went to these practices.
    Friday, February 7, 2014 2:53 PM