none
Resource Pool mpp stored in a SPS Doc library no longer supported?

Question

• Hi.

Using Project Pro 2010.  SharePoint 2010 Enterprise. 

In MSP Pro 2007 and Sharepoint 2007, you used to be able to store a resource pool file in a document library and opening it with the UNC path use it just like it was a local RP.  Now, I am receiving an error message: Project Does Not support resource pooling on a web server.

Was this functionality taken away in 2010?

Christine

Friday, December 17, 2010 11:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Christine,

If I remember correctly, this also wasn't possible/supported in Project 2007 (and 2003).

Could it be possible that you had configured the old SharePoint to map the document library to a network drive? Because that's how you could make it work in SharePoint 2007. You might have to remap the network drive to the new document library on SharePoint 2010.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 7:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Christine,

If I remember correctly, this also wasn't possible/supported in Project 2007 (and 2003).

Could it be possible that you had configured the old SharePoint to map the document library to a network drive? Because that's how you could make it work in SharePoint 2007. You might have to remap the network drive to the new document library on SharePoint 2010.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 7:43 AM
  • Hi Hans.

Thanks for the reply.  Personally, this isn't something I had ever tried, but it was existing functionality that a client wanted to use after upgrading to SPS 2010.  Professionally speaking, I would never endorse or recommend doing this otherwise to a client.  IMO, if you are doing this, you should just be using Project Server.  

Thanks again!

Christine

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 2:28 PM
  • Christine,

As Hans said, a link from Project to a UNC linked file (resource or subproject), far as I know, never worked.  However, for many years, we have had great success storing all project MPP files (master, submaster, and linked resource files) in SharePoint and using them such that it works just fine.  There are a lot of benefits.  I have explained numerous times in this forum over the years how to do this.  To compare proper storage and use of files vs. using Project Server escapes me.  Project Server is another thing completely with orders of magnitude different cost/benefits.  Like you, I would never recommend to a client something not tried; but in this instance this is something that we've tried and made work for many years.

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 4:02 PM
  • Hi Rob.

I would be very interested in hearing of any experiences you've had using a shared resource pool file stored on Sharepoint 2010.  And are you also using the sync to Sharepoint feature to report task status of those stored project, master projects and resource pool files, all on Sharepoint 2010? 

It wasn't necesasrily the storage of the files that I was comparing, but the concept and approach to WHY you would want to use a resource pool compared to the functionaliy in Project Server.  As you know, the whole idea of a resource pool is to be able to have a central place for resource information and to be able to show availability and commitments across project plans, something that Project Server inherently does well. Project Server isn't for everyone, but there really does come a time when you need to use the right application or technology for the problem at hand.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 4:26 PM
  • I've written about this in numerous replies over the years. I found one at:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.project/browse_thread/thread/df3933a07007fe8f/2e6a954cf68588b6?lnk=gst&q=sharepoint+colligo#2e6a954cf68588b6

While a separate issue unrelated to how files are used, stored, and linked, we've alsohad success integrating/synching the contents of the Project files to SharePoint lists ... mainly using EPMLive's add-in which sychs Sharepoint with Project ... this add-in has been usurped as Microsoft provides this functionality in Project 2010 (but my customers not yet migrated to 2010 so we haven't used it in earnest).  That's solving a completely different problem--that being giving team members notice of and place to report progress, along with place for stakeholders and others to "lurk".  Doing this in SharePoint so much better than letting them have access to or see the Project File.  

Yes, indeed, one should always use the right application or technology for the problem at hand; just think that to just link files together and have a shared resource file is not by itself justification for Project Server. And syncing Project information between the MPP files and SharePoint--standard part of Project 2010 now--is something completely different and is also a long way from Project Server.  Given a large enough team, funding, and a great IT department ... Project Server surely works great.  Not really my world.

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    • Edited by Rob Schneider Tuesday, December 21, 2010 5:00 PM spelling fix.
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 4:49 PM
  • Thanks for sharing the link Rob.  Not exactly, but has some great information.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 5:10 PM