none
WS2K19 Datacenter Hyper-V powers down VM's each week RRS feed

• Question

• So, I got forwarded to here from my earlier thread in the Hyper-V forum: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/25acc024-c31e-4c88-a888-38809577fe4c/ws2k19-essentials-hyperv-powers-down-vms-each-week?forum=winserverhyperv

The situation is like this:

During the summer holidays we bought and installed a new physical server with Windows Server 2019 Essentials installed on it; on which we also enabled and configured the Hyper-V role. On that physical Hyper-V, we have three VM's running, which are:

VM1: Domain controller;

VM2: File sharing server, part of the domain;
    VM3: App server, also part of the domain.

All of the three VM's have Windows Server 2019 Essentials as OS. Each WS2K19 Essentials server has its own dedicated license. Each week both VM2 and VM3 got turned off.

In my earlier thread, Leon told me it was a licensing issue with the 2019 Essentials installed on the host. So during the weekend I reinstalled the host with Windows Server 2019 Datacenter, enabled and configured the Hyper-V and imported the VM's back into Hyper-V. Everything looked good and seemed to work, but this morning I got a call that both VM2 and VM3 got turned off again. The three VMs are also license activated.

Does someone has any ideas of what might be wrong or where to look in what direction? I'm really lost here.

Thanks!

• Edited by Gotenks1990 Thursday, October 17, 2019 8:24 AM
    Thursday, October 17, 2019 8:22 AM

Answers

• HI
    7 Will this delete everything on the VM?
    no. but we must backup our wse2019 app server and wse2019 fileserver first in order to avoid unexpected condition.

8 "Can't we use the AVMA keys to activate the Standard OS on VM2 and VM3?"
    yes, we can use w2019 standard AVMA keys to activate w2019 standard VM guest in w2019 Datacenter Hyper-v host but i am not sure if you can convert wse2019 retail channel to w2019 standard AVMA channel by using w2019 standard AVMA key successfully. but I am sure you can use retail w2019 standard product key to convert retail wse2019(retail channel) to w2019 standard(retail channel).

for your condition, I also think when we do conversion option, we need to keep channel the same .I guess we can try below solution. install new wse2019 vm4 by using your wse2019 retail iso in your w2019 datacenter hyper-v host to simulate it. 

solution 0:wse2019(retail channel) --w2019standard (VMA channel)
    solution 0 is out of my guess solution, but there is no offical document to say no for AVMA condition .you can install new wse2019 vm4 by using your wse2019 retail iso in your w2019 datacenter hyper-v host and not activate vm4 by using retail key then using w2019standard AVMA key to convert and activate it.  
    1)slmgr /ipk <w2019 standard AVMA key>  auto activate by using w2019 standard AVMA key
    2)slmgr /dli to check the license status

solution 1:wse2019(retail channel) -->wse2019(volume kms channel)-->w2019standard(volume kms channel)-->w2019standard(VMA channel)
    install new wse2019 vm4 by using your wse2019 retail iso in your w2019 datacenter hyper-v host,it will simulate how to convert to vm2 or vm3 to w2019standard.
    1)slmgr /ipk <wse2019 kms channel key>   ( convert to wse2019 volume kms channel )
    2)dism /online /set-edition:ServerStandard /accepteula /productkey: Product Key (where Product Key is the kms channel w2019 LTSC standard key
    )
    3)slmgr /ipk <wse2019 AVMA key>  auto activate by using w2019 standard AVMA key
    4)
    slmgr /dli to check the license status
    solution 2:wse2019(retail channel) -->wse2019(VMA channel)-->w2019standard(VMA channel)
    it will simulate how to convert to vm2 or vm3 to w2019standard.
    1)slmgr /upk to uninstall retail product key
    2)slmgr /ipk <wse2019 AVMA key>  auto activate by using wse2019 AVMA key
    3)dism /online /set-edition:ServerStandard /accepteula /productkey: Product Key (where Product Key is the  w2019 standard AVMA key ).
    4)

there are reference documents link
    Automatic Virtual Machine Activation (AVMA) in Windows Server 2016
    http://woshub.com/automatic-virtual-machine-activation-avma-in-windows-server-2016/
    Server 2019 - Unable to do in place upgrade with AVMA keys
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/8c2683e9-c515-4f9c-84f4-e1c7c6c50bad/server-2019-unable-to-do-in-place-upgrade-with-avma-keys?forum=winserversetup

Upgrade and conversion options for Windows Server 2016
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/supported-upgrade-paths
    KMS client setup keys
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/kmsclientkeys
    Windows Server release information
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/windows-server-release-info

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 7:58 AM
  • Hi Andy,

Sorry for the late reply. I had to wait a full week after testing and implementing to know if the fix worked. Well, today I confirm that the problem is solved! I was able to convert the 2019 Essentials Retail to 2019 Standard AVMA! These are the steps that worked out for the convertion:

1. Open Powershell as admin2. slmgr /upk
    3. slmgr /ipk WVDHN-86M7X-466P6-VHXV7-YY726 (Windows Server 2019 Essentials KMS key (Windows Server LTSC/LTSB))
    4. dism /online /set-edition:ServerStandard /accepteula /productkey:N69G4-B89J2-4G8F4-WWYCC-J464C (Windows Server 2019 Standard KMS key (Windows Server LTSC/LTSB))
    5. Reboot
    6. slmgr /ipk TNK62-RXVTB-4P47B-2D623-4GF74 (Windows Server 2019 Standard AVMA key)
    7. slmgr /dli

Andy, thank you for all your help and patience with me!

• Marked as answer by Gotenks1990 Saturday, November 2, 2019 10:25 AM
    Saturday, November 2, 2019 10:25 AM

All replies

• 1.can you enter slmgr /dlv in command prompt on both windows server 2019 datacenter and all windows server 2019 essentials and look "product key channel" ?
    2.where did you buy server 2019 essentials license,from oem or windows store or volume license center ?
    3.so far as I know windows server essentials 2019(include all previous version) can not act as member server. "Windows Server Essentials can only be deployed as domain controller."
    if it is windows server standard or datacenter version with the Windows Server Essentials Experience role installed ,we can act it as member server.so I believe that it cause your 2 server essentials 2019 (vm2 and vm3) shutdown.

we can refer below server essentials license information:
    "Windows Server Essentials can only be deployed as domain controller."
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-essentials/install/add-windows-server-essentials-as-a-member-server

Windows ServerEssentials_2019_English.html
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/WindowsServer2019/Essentials/Useterms_Retail_WindowsServer2019_Essentials_English.htm

5 "An overview of the current setup:
    Physical server: Windows Server 2019 Datacenter with Hyper-V role
    VM1: Windows Server 2019 Essentials which acts as PDC
    VM2: Windows Server 2019 Essentials which acts as Fileserver
    VM3: Windows Server 2019 Essentials which acts as App server"
    for your condition ,I suggest that you return server essential 2019 to os reseller ,then buy 2 server 2019 standard license for VM2 and VM3.Server essentials not need window server cal ,SO when we do that we need to buy additional windows server 2019 per user cals for all demand users.

other windows server version license information ,we can search in below link.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/useterms
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 18, 2019 3:07 AM
  • 6 after you buy Windows Server 2019 Standard product key.
    Before transitioning from Windows Server 2019 Essentials to Windows Server 2019 Standard, you should fully back up the server data.
    Transition to Windows Server 2019 Standard
    Open Windows PowerShell as Administrator, and then run the following command:
    dism /online /set-edition:ServerStandard /accepteula /productkey: Product Key (where Product Key is the product key for your copy of Windows Server 2019 Standard).
    more detail steps we can refer below document
    Transition from Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials to Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-essentials-sbs/dn479774(v=ws.11)

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Friday, October 18, 2019 8:14 AM
  • A Windows Server Essentials 2019 has to be the only Domain Controller in your network. If you used the same media for VM2 & 3 then you have found why they shutdown, you are not compliant with the EULA.

You cannot use Windows Server Essentials 2019 media for anything else then a Domain Controller. You need Standard or Datacenter licenses for VM2 and 3.

Mariëtte Knap [alumna Microsoft SBS MVP]
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way | DNN MVP 2019

Friday, October 18, 2019 8:43 AM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Sunday, October 20, 2019 9:49 PM
  • Sorry for the late reply, I was out on a weekend :) Now I'm back, so let's dive right in:

1. I did the slmgr /dlv on all four servers and at "product key channel" they all say 'Retail'.

2. Our boss bought the licenses from a reseller where we are a regular customer.

3. So, we'll have to upgrade both VM2 and VM3 from Essentials to Standard? Using Powershell with the command: "dism /online /set-edition:ServerStandard /accepteula /productkey: Product Key"
    Will this delete everything on the VM? The problem here is VM3. This server has all of the accounting, invoicing, HRM, etc. software installed. If this gets uninstalled, we'll have to ask the company to install it again, who asks almost 2000 euros to install. We had a lot of costs already this year, so I'm afraid our boss won't agree to the reinstall of all that software.

4. Our host is a 2019 Datacenter server. I remember something about automatic virtual machine activation that comes with this server edition. Can't we use the AVMA keys to activate the Standard OS on VM2 and VM3? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started-19/vm-activation-19

• Edited by Gotenks1990 Monday, October 21, 2019 6:48 AM
    Monday, October 21, 2019 6:46 AM
  • HI
    7 Will this delete everything on the VM?
    no. but we must backup our wse2019 app server and wse2019 fileserver first in order to avoid unexpected condition.

8 "Can't we use the AVMA keys to activate the Standard OS on VM2 and VM3?"
    yes, we can use w2019 standard AVMA keys to activate w2019 standard VM guest in w2019 Datacenter Hyper-v host but i am not sure if you can convert wse2019 retail channel to w2019 standard AVMA channel by using w2019 standard AVMA key successfully. but I am sure you can use retail w2019 standard product key to convert retail wse2019(retail channel) to w2019 standard(retail channel).

for your condition, I also think when we do conversion option, we need to keep channel the same .I guess we can try below solution. install new wse2019 vm4 by using your wse2019 retail iso in your w2019 datacenter hyper-v host to simulate it. 

solution 0:wse2019(retail channel) --w2019standard (VMA channel)
    solution 0 is out of my guess solution, but there is no offical document to say no for AVMA condition .you can install new wse2019 vm4 by using your wse2019 retail iso in your w2019 datacenter hyper-v host and not activate vm4 by using retail key then using w2019standard AVMA key to convert and activate it.  
    1)slmgr /ipk <w2019 standard AVMA key>  auto activate by using w2019 standard AVMA key
    2)slmgr /dli to check the license status

solution 1:wse2019(retail channel) -->wse2019(volume kms channel)-->w2019standard(volume kms channel)-->w2019standard(VMA channel)
    install new wse2019 vm4 by using your wse2019 retail iso in your w2019 datacenter hyper-v host,it will simulate how to convert to vm2 or vm3 to w2019standard.
    1)slmgr /ipk <wse2019 kms channel key>   ( convert to wse2019 volume kms channel )
    2)dism /online /set-edition:ServerStandard /accepteula /productkey: Product Key (where Product Key is the kms channel w2019 LTSC standard key
    )
    3)slmgr /ipk <wse2019 AVMA key>  auto activate by using w2019 standard AVMA key
    4)
    solution 2:wse2019(retail channel) -->wse2019(VMA channel)-->w2019standard(VMA channel)
    it will simulate how to convert to vm2 or vm3 to w2019standard.
    1)slmgr /upk to uninstall retail product key
    2)slmgr /ipk <wse2019 AVMA key>  auto activate by using wse2019 AVMA key
    3)dism /online /set-edition:ServerStandard /accepteula /productkey: Product Key (where Product Key is the  w2019 standard AVMA key ).
    4)

there are reference documents link
    Automatic Virtual Machine Activation (AVMA) in Windows Server 2016
    http://woshub.com/automatic-virtual-machine-activation-avma-in-windows-server-2016/
    Server 2019 - Unable to do in place upgrade with AVMA keys
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/8c2683e9-c515-4f9c-84f4-e1c7c6c50bad/server-2019-unable-to-do-in-place-upgrade-with-avma-keys?forum=winserversetup

Upgrade and conversion options for Windows Server 2016
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/supported-upgrade-paths
    KMS client setup keys
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/kmsclientkeys
    Windows Server release information
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/windows-server-release-info

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 7:58 AM
  • Thank you for your very informative reply!

I'll try some stuff out and will keep you updated in a few days after testing!

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 5:56 PM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 5:57 AM
  • Hi Andy,

Sorry for the late reply. I had to wait a full week after testing and implementing to know if the fix worked. Well, today I confirm that the problem is solved! I was able to convert the 2019 Essentials Retail to 2019 Standard AVMA! These are the steps that worked out for the convertion:

1. Open Powershell as admin2. slmgr /upk
    3. slmgr /ipk WVDHN-86M7X-466P6-VHXV7-YY726 (Windows Server 2019 Essentials KMS key (Windows Server LTSC/LTSB))
    4. dism /online /set-edition:ServerStandard /accepteula /productkey:N69G4-B89J2-4G8F4-WWYCC-J464C (Windows Server 2019 Standard KMS key (Windows Server LTSC/LTSB))
    5. Reboot
    6. slmgr /ipk TNK62-RXVTB-4P47B-2D623-4GF74 (Windows Server 2019 Standard AVMA key)
    7. slmgr /dli

Andy, thank you for all your help and patience with me!

• Marked as answer by Gotenks1990 Saturday, November 2, 2019 10:25 AM
    Saturday, November 2, 2019 10:25 AM