none
Task updates question RRS feed

• Question

• Probably a simple question, but is there a way to assign multiple resources to a task but only have 1 person report for that task?

the way it works right now is that if i have 1 manager and 4 workers assigned to a task, If the manager reports that the task is 100% done, then when the change is approved, the total Percent complete is only 20%.  so each of the resources will have to report in with their own work.

what is the best way to get it so that only the manager will have to report for the task(or a subset of people, although i can see how that would cause problems).

Monday, December 15, 2014 6:45 PM

Answers

• Hi efrizzell,

You might have several ways to achieve your goal but maybe not exactly as you wish.

The first way which comes to my mind would be to insert in MS Project Pro the "assignment owner" and set for the workers 1 to 4 the manager as the assignment owner. Doing this, the manager will update the task progress for the workers assigned on the task in addition to his own progress. But note that he will still have to enter task progress for all resources, otherwise there will have some remaining work for the resources.

Another way would tho user the team assignments. See this excellent post written by Ben few years ago but still applicable. The task will have only 1 assignment to a team and assuming that the manager and the 4 workers are in the given team, the manager will be able to pick-up the assignment and update the progress for the team.

Finally (but maybe not that aligned with the best practices) you could assign the task only to the manager and enter as a comment (or any other column such as contact) the workers names. Then only the manager will be able to update the task progress. Maybe in terms of reporting this is not a recommended solution.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Monday, December 15, 2014 6:57 PM

All replies

• Hi efrizzell,

You might have several ways to achieve your goal but maybe not exactly as you wish.

The first way which comes to my mind would be to insert in MS Project Pro the "assignment owner" and set for the workers 1 to 4 the manager as the assignment owner. Doing this, the manager will update the task progress for the workers assigned on the task in addition to his own progress. But note that he will still have to enter task progress for all resources, otherwise there will have some remaining work for the resources.

Another way would tho user the team assignments. See this excellent post written by Ben few years ago but still applicable. The task will have only 1 assignment to a team and assuming that the manager and the 4 workers are in the given team, the manager will be able to pick-up the assignment and update the progress for the team.

Finally (but maybe not that aligned with the best practices) you could assign the task only to the manager and enter as a comment (or any other column such as contact) the workers names. Then only the manager will be able to update the task progress. Maybe in terms of reporting this is not a recommended solution.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Monday, December 15, 2014 6:57 PM
  • Another view on this, if the "worker" resources are never going to report any time, then set the assignment owner to be the manager when you set up the resource...

and/or you could use delegation too, but though it would technically work, I don't think the manager would want to input the time for the other users on a case by case basis.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Monday, December 15, 2014 8:40 PM