none
Mixed Resource Assignments RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have a situation where the PM wants to assign a named resource to tasks for the entire duration of the project, but they only want them Committed for the first stage or two, and proposed for the later stages. Is the Request/Demand feature capable of providing this functionality?

I looked and hoped that Engagements would allow me to, where the resource was Proposed on the Resource Sheet, and in the database, but that an Engagement Request would be submitted and approved for the time period of the first few stages, and that these would be Committed, but the later stages as Proposed, but it didn't seem to do this?

Any suggestions as to how I could achieve this? Clues to the clueless are always appreciated!

Cheers, Ray

Thursday, October 3, 2019 1:46 PM

Answers

• Raymond --

I have bad news for you, my friend.  The Booking value for each resource in the project team can be set to Committed or Proposed, but this Booking value extends over the entire life of the project.  There is no way to set the Booking value to Committed for part of the project and Proposed for the rest of the project.

The Request/Demand field is a historical artifact from a tool named the Resource Substitution Wizard that was found in earlier versions of Project Server.  So that feature would offer you nothing.

My suggestion would be for the PM to create multiple Resource Engagements for the resources in question. One engagement or set of engagements would span the time period during which the resource is committed to the project, and the PM should add a note to the engagement indicating this. The other engagement or engagements would span the time period during which the resource is proposed, and the PM should add a note to the engagement explaining this.

Once the engagements are submitted, the resource manager can approve only the engagements for the Committed time periods, and leave the other engagements in the Proposed state.  Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, October 3, 2019 2:44 PM

All replies

• Raymond --

I have bad news for you, my friend.  The Booking value for each resource in the project team can be set to Committed or Proposed, but this Booking value extends over the entire life of the project.  There is no way to set the Booking value to Committed for part of the project and Proposed for the rest of the project.

The Request/Demand field is a historical artifact from a tool named the Resource Substitution Wizard that was found in earlier versions of Project Server.  So that feature would offer you nothing.

My suggestion would be for the PM to create multiple Resource Engagements for the resources in question. One engagement or set of engagements would span the time period during which the resource is committed to the project, and the PM should add a note to the engagement indicating this. The other engagement or engagements would span the time period during which the resource is proposed, and the PM should add a note to the engagement explaining this.

Once the engagements are submitted, the resource manager can approve only the engagements for the Committed time periods, and leave the other engagements in the Proposed state.  Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, October 3, 2019 2:44 PM
  • Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the idea though, I'll talk it up internally.

Cheers, Ray

Friday, October 4, 2019 8:41 PM