none
Project 2010 - Disappearing Task Names RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Project Professional 2010 (using Server 2010) file that has task names that disappear.  These are tasks with Resources, durations, sometimes completed, sometimes just have some work against them, sometimes no actual work yet.  When you open the schedule and double click on the task all the Task Information, except the name, appear as expected.  The task level (WBS level) is also maintained and the "+" or "-" sign will display even though the task name is blank.   It appears to happen randomly but MIGHT happen more often after an update is accepted.
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 8:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• cq --

Have you applied the lastest Cumulative Updates to your Project Server 2010 system?  The most recent CU is the April 2011 update.  Let us know and we will try to help.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Thursday, May 5, 2011 8:50 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Yes, the latest CU has been applied.  It seems that the schedule will work for a while and then they suddenly disappear.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:45 AM
  • I suggest that you open a support case with Microsoft for this strange problem.
    Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:28 PM
  • I too have the same problem with MS Project Professional 2010.  Have you identified a solution??
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:34 PM
  • No, no solution yet.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:19 PM
  • I have also seen this issue also,  for me it usually happens on tasks with external predecessors or successors and I am playing around with them.
    Friday, June 3, 2011 8:45 PM
  • I have the same problem with a standalone PC: subtasks entered disappear, and need to be re-entered.  As said, the plus and minus indicators are meaningless.  And asking subtasks to be seen doesn't do anything.  I think it's broken.....
    Saturday, June 4, 2011 4:18 PM
  • I have the same issue... Working with Project 2010 and click on undo a few times.  All the task names disappeared... They vanished from the Task Usage,  Gantt Chart, Resource Usage views.  This is the second time in one day... I've closed the file and reopened it, changed fonts, color etc......  Once I reopened the file I was able to get back to my view... Definitely NOT a good feature... What gives?  BTW - Standalone No MS Project Server 64Bit Win 7

Monday, June 13, 2011 9:07 PM
  • Hi folks,

Any resolution from the MS folks? I also have a ticket open and will report in when I hear back.

Trevor

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 11:36 AM
    1. In additon to the CUs, have the related updates been applied to the Desktops carrying MS Project pro?
    2. Also, I have seen this issue, when the PC running is low on virtual memory. Try increasing that and/or the RAM.

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 2:10 PM
  • I have seen this also in MS Project Professional 2010 - and not using Server 2010. It occurs when I have saved as 2003-2007, made changes, and re-saved. (And, I have set the File-->Options-->Saving option to always save as the old version, and when I get asked at 'Auto Saves' if I want to save, I select "no" as dialog directs so that it saves in old version format.)

The tasks "disappear" leaving a blank row where they used to be - however, I always find them showing after the last task in the project plan. Try scrolling down - you'll probably see them there at the end of your plan also. They won't have changed (if you had predecessors set even the start and stop dates are still as entered). I just move them back up to the blank row.

I have not seen this problem when I leave in MS Proj 2010 format - only when I am saving to old versions of MS Project for my external partners. Hope this helps.

Monday, July 11, 2011 8:01 PM
  • Quick update on this one - we have found a repro and it appears related to multi level undo.  We are working on a fix and (no promises) we would hope to get this in the next client side Cumulative Update in August.  For now if you are hitting this a lot then turning off multi level undo is certainly one option.

Best regards - and apologies for the inconvenience this has caused our customers who have hit this issue.

Brian. 

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Monday, July 18, 2011 11:11 PM
    Owner
  • Brian,

Where is the option to turn off "multi-level undo"?

Naomi

Naomi Flanagan
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:12 PM
  • Never mind.  I was looking for an "On/Off".  I found the option for actually setting the number of undo's allowed, which is what I assume is to be used.

Naomi

Naomi Flanagan
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:23 PM
  • Hi

We are experiencing similar problems.  Tasks names are missing seemingly randomly from the plan.  There are only 257 tasks.  Some tasks were created using copy / paste but there's no direct link.  The plan was saved but not published.  Has there been any solution / work around offered on this issue?

Thanks

Andy

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:54 AM
  • Hi Brian

Is there any news on this issue?  We have experienced it with some of our plans recently.  As usual a plan required urgently has gone the same way causing much consternation.

Are there any work arounds if not?

thanks

Andy

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:03 AM
  • Hi Andy, the fix will be in the August CU which should be out very shortly.  Until then the workaround to stop it happening is to turn off multi level undo - and if it happens then close the plan without saving.  If you have saved then recovery from an archive copy would be the solution - or at least turn on archiving if you aren't using it so that you can recover it next time.  Sorry for the inconvenience this bug has caused everyone - and thanks for the patience and assistance from the customers working with us on tracking down the bug - and Adrian's great work finally isolating it.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 1:58 PM
    Owner
  • Hello everyone - Quick update - We applied the August CU and still we experienced this issue on one of the projects yesterday. The project was already in the system. Maybe this only works for new projects created after applying the CU. In either case, just wanted to give an update. I had saved a local copy and was able to copy the task names back.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:41 AM
  • Hi Raja, it will certainly not fix projects that were already broken - so if it was last saved with blank tasks this would be expected. If however the task names were there when you opened and then went away this may indicate you are seeing a different issue than the one we fixed.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:32 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Brian - This project was not broken, all the tasks were intact. The tasks disappeared when we were just doing regular updates (after the SP1 and August CU was applied). Maybe its a different issue than the one that was fixed, but the end result is same - tasks were disappeared.

Will copying and pasting from a different local plan cause this issue? (the different local plan does not contain any blank lines)

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:42 PM
  • Hi Raja - and you have applied the cleint patch - not just the server?  This specific issue related to undo - so if you hadn't used undo in the session where these tasks names went missing it might be a different problem.  Copying and pasting isn't directly implicated - but I'll discuss with my colleagues.  Is it possible to reproduce the issue?

Best regards,

Brian.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:49 PM
    Owner
  • And can you confirm Raja if you just see task names disappearing (which was the bug we fixed) or complete tasks?

Thanks,

Brian.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:34 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Brian - Inface we only applied Server patches. SPI1 and August CU. We are planning to apply client patches in Oct 2011.

I would love to reproduce this issue but I am not able to. Also, we didn't use undo on that plan. Currently, I am experiencing a similar issue with another WBS. I typed in a summary level task, saved, and published. The next time I open it, its gone. Again, its not consistent - it stays some time, it disappears the other time. Confusing!

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:18 PM
  • Just task names. All the other attributes of the task names are intact (thank God for that!)
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:19 PM
  • Thanks Raja - the fix was for the client so installing the client patch should stop this happening - but my not be the exact same issue if you havn't used undo.  Let me know if you still see it with the client CU.

Best regards,

Brian.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:03 PM
    Owner
  • Ok, we are planning to do that in October. I will keep you guys posted.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:41 PM
  • Hi Brian,

My company is experience  the same issue. We found the server patch to appy, but have been having trouble locating the client patch. Can you please let me know where we can get the client patch?

Thanks,

Kevin

Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:03 PM
  • Hi Kevin, the link is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2584056.

There will be an x86 and x64 version available - so you need to check which you have (File, Help will display this).  If the correct one isn't offered by default after clicking View and request hotfix downloads (the page guesses which you have based on your OS) then click Show hotfixes for all platforms and languages (2).

Best regards,

Brian. 

Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:10 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks Brian!
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:17 PM
  • Hi,

Please note that I faced this same problem even though the December CU is applied on the server and client machines.

however i noticed that the task names that disappeared are tasks that were deleted by a team member and rejected by the project manager.

I had to fix the plan manually

Regards,

Mira

Friday, March 2, 2012 8:32 AM
  • We are at Dec 2011 CU, yet finding issues were TaskName are disappearing. Unfortunately, we could not nail down the steps that caused the error. Suspecting timesheet updates are causing it since one of the project with blank task name has not been updated for quite sometime. Last update on that plan was addition of two task, with over 50 resources being assigned to these task (team meeting). Will try the scenario mentioned by Mira and update this forum.
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 2:22 PM
  • Hi Brian,

Do you have any update on this issue? I look forward to your thoughts. 

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:44 AM
  • My company is experiencing the same problem with tasks disappearing.  Going back to an earlier version is not an option for us.

Monday, December 10, 2012 3:02 PM
  • Has there been any update on this issue?

We have experienced the same problem and are running cumulative update from April 2013 for Project Server 2010:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2775426

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 1:47 PM
  • Are all your client PC's patched to the same level Boris? Generally this has been an issue created on Project Professional rather than relating to the server.  I am not aware of any current continuing issues like this with fully patched systems.  If you have a repro we would love to take a look and get it fixed.

Best regards,

Brian

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:19 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks for responding Brian. We will double check.

In the meantime I have established that the task names are not actually lost. I was able to access them via Project Web App. It is only the Project Professional 2010 not displaying task names correctly.

Reproducing this problem is very hard. It happens randomly, about once a month. We have 5 project managers using Project Professional 2010 against Project Server 2010.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:52 PM
  • The risk here Boris, based on the earlier bugs, is that you can end up saving the blank task name to the server (if for example it was off the current page and you didn't notice), and then after publishing the task names would also be gone from PWA.  One good control on the versions is to limit the version of Project Professional that can connect to Project Server - this is set via Server Settings, Additional Server Settings.  The values are entered like 14.0.6137.5000 - which would block any Project Professional clients that were not patched to that level (April 2013 CU) forcing them to get upgraded and ensuring they cannot re-introduce old bugs into the system.  If someone below that patch level tries to connect they would get an error:

Job Type: Load

Error ID: 12015(0x2EEF)

Error Descriptions: An internal error occurred

and the extra text would show: <detail><errinfo><general><class name="ActiveCacheUnsupportedProjectProfessionalVersion"><error id="12015" name="ActiveCacheUnsupportedProjectProfessionalVersion" uid="f0e2dd73-e50f-4a04-b637-8af93c7ee224" version="14.0.6023.1000"/></class></general></errinfo></detail>

where the 14.0... number would be the version of theclient trying to connect.

Best regards,

Brian.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:22 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Brian, my Project Professional client shows 14.0.6129.5000 (64-bit) in File --> Help.

I installed project2010-kb2760778-fullfile-x64-glb.exe from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2760778 but the version remained the same. I was expecting this to update to 14.0.6134.5000.

Can you point me in the right direction where to find Project Professional client cumulative update 14.0.6134.5000?

Thanks
    Boris

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:58 PM
  • Hi Boris,  firstly I gave you the wrong version - April should be 14.0.6137.5000 and can be found at  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2794664.  The version number page is a little confusing in the Office products - and you need to click through to the Additional Version and Copyright Information to see the real Project version.  The one shown on the Help tab is just for the shared Office components.

Hope this helps,

Brian

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 5:32 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks Brian, your link worked and the 'additional version' now shows the expected version on our test machine. We will get this patch installed on all our Project clients and configure Project Server to prevent connections from older versions. Hopefully this will stop further occurrences of the problem.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:18 PM
  • Hi Brian

Since the upgrade to 14.0.6137.5000, Microsoft Project crashes whenever we try expanding any of the column heading filters. This applies to the plans that used to open and work in the previous version correctly.

Please refer to the screenshot below.

The problem is always reproducible and I can provide an MSP to reproduce the problem.
    We tried a number of workstations and both 64bit and 32bit versions of Project 2010 Professional.

Can you help?

Thanks
    Boris

Monday, May 20, 2013 4:05 PM
  • Hi All,

May you please update if other has seen any difference? Also added to this, is there any way we can retrieve these disappearing tasks directly from SQL database.

Brain: I can see the last update posted to this blog in May 20th, is this version 14.0.6137.5000 is latest version or MS introduced any other version which does not have above mentioned issue?

Thanks for your help.
    Anuranjan Prasad

Friday, June 21, 2013 7:16 AM
  • Hi,

I was amazed and very disappointed to see that this has been an ongoing but seemingly unrepaired issue for years.

I have had this problem for a couple of years but at a small scale so I was able to go to a saved version, recopy tasks and recreate the schedule. A waste of alot of time but it worked.

Today in a critical project, MANY tasks have had their names and info "disapeared" and their are blank lines in some. In other task lines "work, actual work,EAC, etc" data is reset to "o hrs, or $o" but the task names remain. The amount of work to manually fix it is enormous. I cannot afford to have this happen again. If it can't be prevented then MS Project is not reliable enough a product for me and my company, and its subsidiaries, to use and we will have to find an alternative.

Is there a fix?

Is there a way to get back my task info rather than spending days reconstructing it?

My MS Proj version is 14.0.6129.5000 (32bit)

Thanks,

Larry

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 1:18 PM
  • Hi Brian,

I, like a lot of users of Project 2010 as i can see, am experiencing this disappearing-task-names issue in Project 2010 in several projects.

I haven't been able to identify what exactly is triggering it though (although i've tried everything i could think of).

The version currently installed is Project 2010 (14.0.6114.5000) SP1 MSO (14.0.6023.1000). Although I am aware that this is not the latest version, I can't afford trying new versions just "to see what happens", as it is obvious, pointed out by boris in his last reply, that the issue is all but under control, and there are over 70 complex projects currently active using this tool in my company.

It has become a main issue, and I was wondering tf there is any solution to it rather than setting the multi-level undo option to "1" (as I haven't been able to find where this "unable" option is in Project Professional).

I understand this might not be an easy task, but I have a lot of people pretty pissed about this (completely understandable btw, as it means loosing important amount of work done and thus a lot of time), and this is not sustainable on the long term.

King Regards,

Alberto

Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:06 AM
  • Hi Brian,

I, like a lot of users of Project 2010 as i can see, am experiencing this disappearing-task-names issue in Project 2010 in several projects.

I haven't been able to identify what exactly is triggering it though (although i've tried everything i could think of).

The version currently installed is Project 2010 (14.0.6114.5000) SP1 MSO (14.0.6023.1000). Although I am aware that this is not the latest version, I can't afford trying new versions just "to see what happens", as it is obvious, pointed out by boris in his last reply, that the issue is all but under control, and there are over 70 complex projects currently active using this tool in my company.

It has become a main issue, and I was wondering tf there is any solution to it rather than setting the multi-level undo option to "1" (as I haven't been able to find where this "unable" option is in Project Professional).

I understand this might not be an easy task, but I have a lot of people pretty pissed about this (completely understandable btw, as it means loosing important amount of work done and thus a lot of time), and this is not sustainable on the long term.

King Regards,

Alberto

I don't know if it might help, but I just noticed that only the tasks that are not at a 100% completion status are the ones which name disappears (although not all of them, just randomly prima facie).

Also, we are using 32 bits.

Thanks,

Alberto.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 10:01 AM
  •      I am a contract consultant for a VERY large multi-national implementing EPM 2010, and this "disappearing task" issue has raised its head several times in the last two months, both on enterprise and stand-alone projects being prepared for enterprise. They are VERY anxious to here of a solution, and now all I seem to have to offer is "save to XML", "clear MSP cache" "exit and restart MSP". "open the XML file", "pray the tasks have been restored!"

It appears that the April CU for MSP hs been pulled, and there doesn't seem to be an MSP component to the June 2013 CU.  Anyone know of any other answers?

????????

JTC

JAckson T. Cole, PMP, MCITP

• Edited by Jackson Cole Monday, July 1, 2013 3:26 AM clarify
    Monday, July 1, 2013 3:02 AM
  • We've using Project Server 2010 (Dec 2012 CU) and Project Pro 2010 for 3 years, and the disappearing task problem has just started for us.  Has there been a conclusive solution found?

Monday, March 31, 2014 6:16 PM
  • We're still seeing this rather frequently in our organization. We're migrating to 2013 in two weeks and hoping that puts this issue to bed.
    Monday, May 5, 2014 10:59 PM
  • @joncantrell Did updating to Project 2013 resolve this issue for your company?

Thanks, 

Amanda

• Edited by Amanda431 Monday, July 7, 2014 7:40 PM
    Monday, July 7, 2014 7:39 PM
  • The problem still happens on Project Server 2013. I have not updated my Project Professional 2013 (client) to see if the issue was solved by a product update. 

Bartho Bernsmann

Monday, October 6, 2014 3:18 PM
  • I am having the same issue with disappearing task names in Project 2013 stand-alone client. Both the task names and a notes field associated with it are disappearing.

Is there a work-around available? 

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 1:27 PM
  • Hi Jackson,

What SP/CU do you have? I'd suggest to be with the latest fix updates.

It could be related to the multiple undo, can you confirm that?

Then try the XML method to repair the file and see if it helps?

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCP |

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 1:44 PM
  • So, I am experiencing disappearing task names in Project Professional 2013.

Is this a known issue? 80 to 90 present of my task names disappeared at random.

I am going back several days to recover and rebuild my lost work.

Friday, August 28, 2015 8:26 PM
  • I too have the same issue.  Is Microsoft planning a fix for this?
    Wednesday, August 17, 2016 4:59 PM
  • Hi Brian if you are still working at MS please note that this issue persists today for some users... See my thread at https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/990ac080-c81f-4025-b96c-f4fa678a2a83/dissappearing-task-names?forum=projserv2010setup

Did you find any resolution to this?

Bob

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 7:59 PM
  • This bug is still happening in V2016 32bit Professional installed on a local machine and using data files stored on a network folder.  We originally created the file using V2007 and started seeing many task names disappear seemingly randomly.   The rest of the data for the missing task name was intact... duration, predecessors, resources, etc but the task name is blank.   I was using V2007 and after reading about several versions being affected we upgraded to V2016 only to find the same bug hit a few weeks into using V2016.  

You can as you say just go back to your last file and open that one but the issue is that if your task names are rolled up into summary tasks and you dont expand all this collapsed summary tasks to check whether they are intact, you would not know if any of the expanded tasks are affected.  This happened when I first experienced this issue and had to recreate 2 days worth of work and status updates from team meetings.  Not the best warm and fuzzy feeling you get when you discover missing data that was not captured anywhere else except edits to the Project data file during a team meeting that is hard to recreate. 

I am using Project to manage about 30 projects in one file that have individual summary level tasks for each project and we roll these projects up to display only the summary level unless we are working on updating or discussing the project status during management meetings.  I dont use the SubProject approach because I move files around to different network folders and/or laptops. 

The last thing I just tried since the file was originally created in V2007 was to export the data in XML and reimport to V2016 and resave as a native 2016 file format.  I did this the other day so Im testing whether this stops the problem from happening.  I have not tried the multilevel undo restriction as I thought that "fix" was made 6 years ago in patches so I would not expect that to be the cause if its happening in the V2016 client but again if the problem only happens with files created with V2007 then I should not see the issue anymore. 

I am not sure why MS has let this problem go for so long without a resolution because I still see many postings about it still happening and there seems to be a lack of response from MS for several years.  Ive posted on several forums and have not had any formal MS response. 

Are you still with MS Brian?

Bob Manke

Thursday, May 4, 2017 6:14 PM
  • Bob -

Have you had any luck tracking down a resolution to this issue?  Several of my projects are experiencing the problem and it looks like Microsoft has not been able to provide a solution.

Thanks,

Carrie Boettcher

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 6:22 PM
  • Hi Carrie

No I have not had any luck with this at all and after I exported the file to XML and re-imported the file in question I experienced another problem with disappearing task names.  This time however I closed and reopened the file again and the task names seem to be there so it is a complete mystery so far. 

I have not been able to get any Microsoft response here for many months after several attempts at contact.  The company I am working for is a large Multi National company and does not have an internal team that supports MS Project so the last I hear I am supposed to contact MS myself and work with them. 

What is happening with your project files?

Bob Manke

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 2:41 PM
  • This has been going on since 2011

Project 2010, 2013 and 2016...

I am having the issues described with the latest desktop 2016 Pro x64 edition with a project stored on the local.

There are many postings on various forums including 

"https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_project-mso_winother/certain-sub-task-names-becoming-blank-task-names/91943db0-6679-4822-9009-17b814ced0e6" 

• Proposed as answer by MankeB Thursday, November 2, 2017 6:01 PM
    Thursday, July 27, 2017 2:19 AM
  • Looks like this will be an issue going into 2018, also. I, too, have and am currently working for a fortune 500 company, and MS Project has always been my go-to. But I can't keep having to fix my immense project plans every time I turn around. Six years and no resolution? Heads would roll at my company if something like that happened. I'll be hunting for an alternative ASAP for my PMO, and as soon as I find one suitable, MS Project is going into the garbage for good.
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 3:41 AM
  • +100  We had this problem when we went from 2010 to 2013 and now again 4 years later after changing domains due to an IT consolidation.  Collapsed task names are now gone.  I can see the tasks on the PWA database so that got me thinking it was a caching issue.  In MS project I clicked file->options->save->clean up cache and found the project in the "projects not checked out to you" drop down and removed it from cache.  I closed and reopened project and browsed to the project saved on the database (not the one still showing up in my recents) and opened it.  The task names are now appearing in my file again.  

• Edited by pallni Wednesday, June 6, 2018 5:44 PM
    Wednesday, June 6, 2018 5:36 PM