none
Remove automatic calculation between fixed work, fixed units and fixed duration. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

Is there a setting anywhere that would allow the fixed work and fixed duration to work independently of each other.  I do not want Microsoft to change my work if I change a duration (fixed duration) and vise versa for fixed work.

This has always been an issue for us.

Thanks,

Sandy Strong

Monday, June 12, 2017 4:59 PM

All replies

• Sandy,

Sorry, no such option setting. Both work and duration, along with units are a basic part of Project's work equation:

Duration = Work / Units

Therefore if one variable is fixed and you change a second variable, the third will change accordingly. However you will note that for a fixed duration task, if you change the duration Project offers an option via the alert that appears to the left of the changed field. It gives the user the option to either accept the increase in work, or you can elect to have Project modify the units to keep the work the same. A similar alert appears for a fixed work or fixed units type task.

Perhaps it will work better for you if you use a fixed work type task and then change the duration. Then Project will not change the work but will by default change the units to balance the work equation. The same is true for a fixed duration task. If you change the work, Project will maintain the duration and again change the units to balance the work equation.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, June 12, 2017 8:09 PM
  • Thanks John for the response and that is exactly what we do.  The issue is we have over 6 thousand schedules with over 150 users all at different expertise levels.

Thanks again, 

Sandy

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 7:06 PM
  • Sandy,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 10:31 PM