none
Project Resource Assignments not showing up in Capacity Planning View RRS feed

• Question

• I have uploaded several projects into the PWA, saved and published the projects too.  Enterprise resources that have been assigned to these projects are not showing up with assignments under the capacity planning view.  

I can see their assignments under resources assignments or time sheets.  It's like the data isn't making it to the capacity planning or PowerBI links.  It was showing up on the first project dev server we had set up, however now that I'm rebuilding the configuration in a new site/server it doesn't seem to be showing up with the same project data. 

I'm an admin so I assume it shouldn't be a server setting.  Is there some setting that I'm missing?  

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 11:20 PM

All replies

• I haven't been able to find a setting or figure out why the assignments aren't showing up under the capacity view.  I tried applying sites however that didn't seem to work either.
    Friday, April 6, 2018 1:32 PM
  • Hello.

Did you ever solve this? I'm having the very same behavior on two different PWA instances with Project Online.

Rene Alvarez

Friday, June 22, 2018 6:16 PM
  • Set the reporting to daily under the Enterprise Data area within server settings.  You may have to republish your projects to get this to work.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

• Proposed as answer by René Alvarez Tuesday, June 26, 2018 5:42 PM
    Friday, June 22, 2018 9:17 PM
  • That was it. Thanks Ben.

Rene Alvarez

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 5:42 PM
  • Glad to hear it!

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 7:21 PM
  • Hi Ben, 

How you set the reporting to daily under Enterprise Data? We are using Project Server 2016.  I can't find anywhere that I can set reporting to daily under Server Settings -> Enterprise Data. Thanks!

Enterprise Data
    Enterprise Custom Fields and Lookup Tables
    Enterprise Calendars
    Resource Center

Qun Yue

Monday, June 10, 2019 8:42 PM
  • These settings appear in Project Online only, under Reporting.  If you are using Project Server then the data is timephased at a daily level anyway.

Monday, June 10, 2019 9:29 PM
  • I see. Thank you Ben! We are having same issues on project server 2016. Project managers see the assignments in  the view Resource Assignments but not in the view Capacity Planning. I changed the date range for resource capacity settings in CA, but that didn't make any difference. Anywhere else should I look? Any suggestions for me? 

Qun Yue

Monday, June 10, 2019 9:59 PM
  • As Ben said, timephased data is already there in the database. Probably the best way to use it would be to build a custom report. You can do that with Excel, Power BI, SQL Server Reporting Services and many others. Just make sure you are using timephased views (like MSP_EpmAssignmentByDay_UserView).

If you want more assistance with this I can help you connecting to those datasources.

Rene Alvarez

Monday, June 10, 2019 10:43 PM
  • Make sure you are using the Resource Utilisation view and you have checked the box including proposed resources.

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 6:26 AM
  • Thank you! After working with my client in details about this missing resource assignment they reported, I learned they wants to generate Resource Availability Report using Capacity Planning tool in Project server 2016. We are in process migrating to Project Server 2010 to 2016. Project server 2010 has Resource Availability tool, but it no longer exist in Project Server 2016. In Project server 2016 Capacity Planning page, it only shows undergoing resource assignments, not finished ones. Those finished projects are the "missing project assignments" my user reported. It seems in Project server 2016 we have to manually generate Resource Availability report with Excel, Power BI etc. you mentioned before. Is that right? What are the tables or views will be involved in generating this report?

Qun Yue

Thursday, June 13, 2019 3:04 PM
  • I usually make use of the following views:

1.  MSP_EpmAssignment_UserView. All data for the assignments (dates, work, cost, etc.)
    2.  MSP_EpmResource_userView. Resource data. Linked to the previous one by ResourceUID column.
    3.  MSP_EpmTask_UserView. Task data. Linked to the assignment view by TaskUID column.
    4.  MSP_EpmProject_UserView. Project data. Linked to Task view or Assignment view by ProjectUID column

Best regards

Rene Alvarez

Thursday, June 13, 2019 3:18 PM