none
7 day work week for Gantt charts

Question

• I only use Project to make Gantt charts. My kind of Gantt charts have nothing to do with work weeks, work hours, etc... All I need to do is set Project for 7 day week, 30 day months etc... When I put in Jan 6 to Jan 22, I want it to say 16 days and NOT 12 or 13 days. No matter what I do or change (Calendars, tiers, etcc), Project still insist on discounting weekends.

How can I tell project that a month is 30 days and not 22 or so days.

I appreciate any help,

Thank you

Friday, October 29, 2010 4:46 PM

Answers

• In 2010, it should be the same with the exception of step #1:

1) Go to the Projects Tab, select NonWorking Time, and set to the 24 hour
    calendar.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm
    Friday, October 29, 2010 8:00 PM
  • In addition to Andrew's advice, if you are not concerned with resources, consider using elapsed duration tasks.  To enter a task that takes 7 calendar days, enter 7ed in the duration field to count 7 elapsed days.  I recommend sticking with 'edays' as your duration instead of using months or weeks.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Saturday, October 30, 2010 5:07 PM

All replies

• I am assuming you are using Project 2007.  If 2010, you may have to modify
    some of these instructions.

1) Set the Project Calendar to the 24 Hour Calendar (Project > Project Information)
    2) If you use Resources, set them to the 24 Hour Calendar as well (Resource
    Sheet > Resource Calendar)
    3) Right click on the Gantt Chart, and select Nonworking Time.  Set that
    to the 24 Hour Calendar as well.

My guess is that you may have missed step #3.  In that case, the Gantt displays
    the weekends, but they don't impact the task calculations.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm
    Friday, October 29, 2010 5:54 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the response. I'm using Project 2010. I'm still trying to follow your notes. Any chance you explain in terms of 2010 commands?

Thanks again,

Ali

AM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 6:44 PM
  • In 2010, it should be the same with the exception of step #1:

1) Go to the Projects Tab, select NonWorking Time, and set to the 24 hour
    calendar.

Friday, October 29, 2010 8:00 PM
  • In addition to Andrew's advice, if you are not concerned with resources, consider using elapsed duration tasks.  To enter a task that takes 7 calendar days, enter 7ed in the duration field to count 7 elapsed days.  I recommend sticking with 'edays' as your duration instead of using months or weeks.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Saturday, October 30, 2010 5:07 PM
  • Thanks Julie. Actually edays is the ONLY thing that worked. I tried all the advice above, the 24 hour calendar, you name it. The system wouldn't even allow me to enter tasks on weekends!! In GMP manufacture of biologics, there is no such a thing as weekend. It's 24/7/365

"Edays" seems to work well except for the fact that you see "edays" in the duration field. Is there a way to trick Project to just say the number without the word edays? like 92 instead of 92edays?

Thanks,

AM
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 2:30 PM
  • The type of projects I'm involved with require the calculation of the duration of the tasks and the whole project in calendar days, even though we have a M-F, 40 hour work week.  In the past, I added a second duration column and entered a custom formula that someone in one of these forums shared with me.

After several years, different computers and having switched employer, I lost the formula.

Does anyone know the formula to calculate durations in calendar days and share it with me?

Thanks in advance,

Antonio

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 12:52 PM
  • Antonio,

Sure, try this formula in a text field (e.g. Text1). Note, this assumes you are using a single project calendar and a normal 8 hour day. If not, give me the details and I'll tweak the formula.

Text1=DateDiff("d",[Scheduled Start],[Scheduled Finish])+1 & " days"

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 1:58 PM