Getting error 9000(0x2328) on save - PP 2010 and PS 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I am getting the following error when I save a project:

Error Id: 9000(0x2328)

Job Type: Save,

Error Desc: "The project could not be saved tot he server. Please retry saving the project. If the problem persists save as mpp and contact your administrator......"

This is a project identified as a subproject in another project that was created by let say project manager A. When PM A saves it, it works fine.  When the other PM B is saving it, he gets the error message.

When we try the same thing but with a project that is not a subproject,  then it works fine.  It can be saved by PM A or B without problem.

Any idea of the problem?

Thanks!

Benoit

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 9:25 PM

Answers

• I have got a work around for this issue .Please follow the below steps to get out from this issue.

1.            Open MS Project 2010.
    2.            Open the project plan from the server.
    3.            Now save it locally without making changes in the File Name, --> Save & Send --> Save Project as File --> Save For Sharing.
    4.            Close and re-open MS Project Pro 2010 > File > Open > open the project plan from locally then Save the project.

5.            File > Save As (The Project name shoud be Grayed out for this time)
    6.            Save and then publish the project plan.

Hope this helps ...

Raj

• Marked as answer by Benoit1 Wednesday, August 15, 2012 2:15 PM
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 11:08 AM

All replies

• Benoit:

Sounds like a permissions issue, but I'm not conjuring up specifics to look for. Can you compare the permissions of the users and the categories of the objects?

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 2:03 PM
  • Thanks Gary!

We enable the PM B will all permissions on the project.  We did that through PWA-->Project Center-->Projectname-->Permissions-->New.

Including "Edit and Save the project within Project Professional or Project Web App"

It really seems related to projects that are subprojects because it works fine with regular projects.

Benoit

Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:21 PM
  • Do both PM A and PM B have the same access rights to all three projects?
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Friday, January 14, 2011 1:34 PM
  • Hi Benno

Have a look at this rlelvant KB atricle which describes  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958138,

Hotfix for the same error your are getting

Hope this helps

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com
    Friday, January 14, 2011 3:04 PM
  • Hi Sunil!

Thanks for your response.  This hotfix applies to Project 2007 based on your link.  Also, when I am looking at the description, this is not the same problem and error message:

"(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941456/ ) Microsoft Office Project may stop responding when you expand the subprojects in a master project "

Thanks!

Friday, January 14, 2011 7:50 PM
  • My aplogies, missed the 2010 part, Just a dumb question, have PM B tried clearing the cache and saving it, as you have already mentioned its sub project specific,

is it machine specific or user specific? just trying to narrow down the behaviour  

As i mentioned the one in previous post , KB article : 958138, the same error Desc has been documented where in saving the plan gives same error message, if you read the 3rd bullet in Introduction section (unfortunately thats for 2007 and i assume it would have been already taken care in 2010), however since there are no new updates available for Project Pro 2010 as of now, not sure if i should co-relate or suspect it being the same issue  

Saturday, January 15, 2011 7:20 AM
  • Thanks Sunil,

It is not machine specific or user specific.  We tried with other PMs with their own machine and we have the same problem.  They all get the same error message.

Thanks!

Benoit

Monday, January 17, 2011 6:17 PM
  • Just a hunch, does this sub project contains any link / dependency to Master Project summary task ? 
    Monday, January 17, 2011 7:25 PM
  • No dependency or link to the master.
    Monday, January 17, 2011 8:06 PM
  • We are experiencing the same issue in our environment. It seems to be isolated to projects that have links to other projects. Unfortunately I could not find a solution to the problem. In some cases we had to manually re-enter affected schedules to overcome this.
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 5:08 AM
  • We are experiencing the same problem, running 2010 Project Server and Professional

One of our PMs noticed it and our Administrators are seeing the same error message with the same project - which does not have links to other projects.

We have cleared caches, re-started IE and Project, and ensured that the enterprise project is checked in. 

Any ideas?

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:23 PM
  • Do both PM A and PM B have the same access rights to all three projects?
    Project Server Help BLOG

Hi Gary, 

PM A is the project owner who created the project.  PM B was set with all permissions on the project.  I would then think they have they same access rights.

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:25 PM
  • I'm going to suggest that you open a case with Microsoft.

Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 6:41 PM
  • Try opening the project in PWA and making a small change to it (such as modifying the project owner).  -Then submit the save job there, which will save the project via the PSI. 

I have seen this same error before and been able to correct it by doing this. 

-Zach

Monday, April 18, 2011 3:14 AM
  • Hi all, i see this thread was closed....

What is the solution to solve the issue?

I do have exactly the same kind of problem... and i can't edit the project directly in PWA because of contained subprojects...

What can i do?

Thanks in advance,

Haui

Friday, May 27, 2011 6:16 AM
  • Haul:

There was no resolution here. Do not assume that you have the same problem because you have the same symptom. Like human illnesses, many system problems present with similary symptoms yet have vastly different causes. I suggest that you start your own thread with as much detail as you can provide about your own system.

Project Server Help BLOG
    • Proposed as answer by RaymondRis Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:38 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by RaymondRis Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:38 PM
    Friday, May 27, 2011 2:25 PM
  • April Cumulative Update should fix your problem

clear the resource pool, save and re-resource  - this should fix the problem

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:39 PM
  • April Cumulative Update should fix your problem

clear the resource pool, save and re-resource  - this should fix the problem

Aeoninfinity1, please give more precise steps what do you mean under clear the resource pool and re-resource.
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:54 PM
  • I had the same issue on a project server with August 2011 CU when trying to save a specific project with Project Prof. Editing and saving the project in PWA instead of Project Prof. solved the problem. Afterwards I was able to save it in Project Prof. too.

Best regards,

Daniel

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:53 AM
  • We had the same. When we cleaned the cache of the problematic - the problem was solved. Appearantly, the problem was not in the file but in its cached copy.

Barak

• Proposed as answer by Barak _ Bester Wednesday, March 7, 2012 9:15 AM
    Wednesday, March 7, 2012 9:15 AM
  • I have got a work around for this issue .Please follow the below steps to get out from this issue.

3.            Now save it locally without making changes in the File Name, --> Save & Send --> Save Project as File --> Save For Sharing.
    4.            Close and re-open MS Project Pro 2010 > File > Open > open the project plan from locally then Save the project.

5.            File > Save As (The Project name shoud be Grayed out for this time)

Hope this helps ...

Raj

• Marked as answer by Benoit1 Wednesday, August 15, 2012 2:15 PM
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 11:08 AM
  • MSP2010 Enterprise Server, now at February 2012 CU.  We had one schedule with the "9000" Project PRO save error prior to applying the February CU.  After applying the February CU, we initially still got the "9000" save error, but opened then saved the schedule in the PWA Scheduler and after that the Project PRO save error was resolved.

Thursday, August 9, 2012 2:30 PM
  • Hi, thank you very much for this work around.  It works fine.
    • Edited by Benoit1 Wednesday, August 15, 2012 2:20 PM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 2:18 PM
  • Hi,

I have had the same problem, and the solution proposed by Visitraj works fine for me:

Thanks a lot.

Regards

Julian

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 10:02 AM
  • Hi,

today on our enviroment appeared this problem. I see the project from MSP2010, but in Project Central isnt there. If i look direct to Publish DB, the project is there too. If I want save & publish from MSP2010, Queue Jobs wrote:

Save cancelled (error details wrote: Root element is missing). If I open the project from PWA (I must copy the GUID of the project, becouse I cant open direct) and do Edit from PWA, I cant do anything. All buttons are disabled, but save & publish are enabled. If I do Save nothing happend (nothing at Queue Jobs), if a do Publish (at Queue Jobs write OK). After publish I still cant see the project at Project Center.

I do Administrative Backup / Restore nothing happend.

Have you got any idea whats wrong?

Thanks a lot

Michal

• Proposed as answer by Michal Vrsecky Friday, January 11, 2013 3:28 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Michal Vrsecky Friday, January 11, 2013 3:28 PM
    Friday, January 11, 2013 2:00 PM
  • Our problem is that we are trying to save the file for the first time into our Server and are getting this error code.  Using the above process will not work because it has never successfully saved into the Server.  What is intersting is that the file is listed as checked-out in my cache and the PWA lists it as an object, but it is not seen as a file when you open the list of schedules in the Server from the client.

Friday, October 25, 2013 3:53 PM
  • Este procedimiento resolvió mi problema.

Muchas gracias

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 8:09 PM
  • Cleaning the cache is always the best place to start when working with Project Server 2010 and Project Professional. We had the same Error 9000.  I closed and checked in the file in Project Pro, opened it for editing in PWA and saved it there, closed and checked in the file.  I made sure my cache was cleared for that specific file and re-opened the project in Project Pro.  The issue was solved and I had no problem saving the file from Project Pro after that. 
    Thursday, July 7, 2016 1:38 PM