none
Recurring Task in MS Project 2007

Question

• Why does every inserted recurring task start at 8:00am
    even when I specify 10:00 am?  Is this a bug or what?  Thanks
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 9:17 PM

Answers

• You're welcome, jp-pm Smile emoticon  I'm glad you solved the original problem.  As to your follow-up, I'd like to close this one down as being resolved.  Would you, please, re-post in a new thread as it will attract new input.  Please do this, as there answers to your conception of what Project should be and it will help others to hear the arguments.

Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP
    See  http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 11:06 AM

All replies

• Tasks without relationships will always start at the time indicated at Tools --> Options --> Calendar.   I would not recommend changing the start time because it is the same value that is used for regular tasks as well -- there is not a separate start time for recurring tasks.   However,  why don't you create a calendar that starts at 10 a.m.  When you create the recurring tasks it gives you the option to enter a calendar which is used specifically for the recurring tasks  you are creating.

Ellen Lehnert

www.lehnertcs.com 

Saturday, August 28, 2010 9:34 PM
  • Hi jp,

Welcome to this Microsoft Project forum:)

Using Tools/Options.../View tab, select a Date Format that includes the time of day. Now, when entering a recurring task, enter in the Start after the date the time 1000.  That should work. 

FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web address:  http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on :)

Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP
    See http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials

Why does every inserted recurring task start at 8:00am
    even when I specify 10:00 am?  Is this a bug or what?  Thanks
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 10:04 PM
  •  

Thanks Mike Glen,

I have it already set.  Ellen, provided really good insight into why it defaults to 8:00.

My biggest problem here is making sure that tasks are always worked on but that 1 hour meetings be also incorporated (without overallocations) into a person's 8 hour day schedule.

Sunday, August 29, 2010 1:04 AM
  • However, if your times don't "stick" then there's something wrong with how you're entering the times or Project is not working correctly.  You don't need Ellen's good work around, it should just work. We need to discover whether your project is at fault, whether it is Project at fault, or whether it's your PC.  Does the symptom occur with other projects on this PC?  Does it occur with this project on other PCs?  Does it occur with other projects on other PCs?  Are you using Project Standard or using a server? Ensure you have the latest Service Pack installed - SP2.

As to your follow up question, note that Project automatically assigns the highest priority of 1000 to recurring tasks.  So the way to handle them is to level resources using the Priority,Standard setting and allowing tasks to be split. That's what Project has built in for you to use in these situations. 

FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information can be seen at this web address: <http://www.mvps.org/project/>

Hope this helps - please let us know how you get on :-))

Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP

Sunday, August 29, 2010 8:19 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry but for me (2007 SP2) the tasks DO start at 10:00 when I specify that in the Recurring tasks window as start hour for instance in Range of recurrence, Start, I enter 29/08/10 10:00 and all tasks duly start at 10:00. So I cannot explain what you haev done differntly to make it not work.

Greetings,

Sunday, August 29, 2010 8:25 AM
  • Hi Mike Glen,

Thank you for your reply.  I'm using Windows Vista Sp 1.  When I try to do recurring tasks I've done 2 types (with Std calendar and using none) I still get the start at 8:00 AM even when I specify 9:00 AM or 10:00 AM.

Anyway, it seems to me that there is something wrong with Project in this specific area and in others (my big guess).  The reason is because if I have 1000 tasks with over 20 resources and all of a sudden I need to insert a recurring task at the top, it just messed up my entire schedule.  The program wasn't smart enough to do the following:

Developer 1  Work Schedule 8 - 5 pm with 1 hours lunch Assigned to 3 tasks today

Distributing the 3 tasks by 8 working hours in 1 day =  2.66 hrs.

With my new inserted recurring task that takes 1 hour long it should be 2.33hrs.

Develoepr 2.....

If the hours are divided equaly right!  This is simple enough right?  However, when I have a huge project (more than a few hundred tasks) this becomes a nightmare.  Next, when I add resource leveling (now I don't know) the timeline the beast has taken (the control has been taken away from me -- the scheduler planner.)!!  Anyway,.....  Thank you guys for trying to help.

Sunday, August 29, 2010 3:03 PM
  • Hi,

Indeed, Project doesn' do that: I consider it smarter than that, when it levels resources, it keeps the hours per day and shifts the less prioritary work to later. So don't look for your way of doing it, Project doesn't do that AT ALL. But whatever you claim, when you enter the 10:00 start properly in the definition of a recurring task, they do start at 10:00.

Greetings,

Sunday, August 29, 2010 7:21 PM
  • Oh Ok Jan,

However, I still stand on the logic for recurring tasks, and it doesn't make sense to me!!  I know what you're saying and I still believe simple things ought to be simple, not difficult!!  Anyway, thank you all for trying to help me on this one.

;-)

Monday, August 30, 2010 2:28 AM
  • I can't let this go, jp-pm.  If the times don't stick, then there's something wrong with your set-up. I'm still not clear on the process you used to insert the 10:00 time for your recurring task. However, before you get too deeply embroiled into your pm, you must get a serviceable working system.   Project 2007 needs SP2 to be installed - check Help/About.  What version of Project are you using - Standard or Professional, and are you using Project server.  Have you been through the suggestions I made earlier to find out what is giving the fault.  Something is not right and it needs fixing first.  Before you do anything else, backup your current projects and do it regularly.

Mike Glen
    Project MVP

Monday, August 30, 2010 8:36 AM
  • Hi MkeGlen,

Thank you.  Yes, I just began download SP's and will test afterwards.  I'm using the Standard version.  I'll send back an update.

Monday, August 30, 2010 1:24 PM
  • H Mike Glen,

Thank you for sticking with me on this one!  I upload a bunch of Sp's and finally I was able to add recurring tasks and it actually used the time I was inputting!!  This site is great!  Because of people like you I am now able to input a recurring tasks without major problems.

One thing is still pending (but it is no obligation of yours), and that is the ability of MS Project to respect the standard calendar (8 - 5 pm with 1 hour for lunch for a total of 8 hours per day).  MS Project is a good product, and it would be a better one with restrictions such as the calendar and not let overallocations unless opted by the scheduler (person in charge of planning it)! 

Nonetheless, you guys a group of professionals that I respect greatly.  If only we had many more of you this product might even transform PM into a more popular profession....

jp-pm

;-)

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 3:02 AM
  • You're welcome, jp-pm Smile emoticon  I'm glad you solved the original problem.  As to your follow-up, I'd like to close this one down as being resolved.  Would you, please, re-post in a new thread as it will attract new input.  Please do this, as there answers to your conception of what Project should be and it will help others to hear the arguments.

Mike Glen
    MS Project MVP
    See  http://tinyurl.com/2xbhc for my free Project Tutorials
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 11:06 AM
  • Hi Mike,

You mean, reposting the same question?  Did I understand it right?

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 1:42 AM
  • You said you've sorted out the recurring task problem that you made the title of this thread - so it is solved.  You previous messaged went on to a pending problem - that's the one that needs a new post from you with an appropriate title.

Mike Glen
    Project MVP

Hi Mike,

You mean, reposting the same question?  Did I understand it right?
    Wednesday, September 01, 2010 7:46 AM