none
Page not found when trying to download connector software Server 2016, Win 10 Home RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I'm trying to set up a Windows Server Essentials 2016 server.  I've gotten to the point where I need to connect computers.  I have a Win 10 Home Laptop that I'm trying to connect.  When I enter Http://myservername/connect, I get a response requesting my logon credentials, which I provide and then I get " 

This myservername page can’t be found

No webpage was found for the web address: http://myservername/connect

HTTP ERROR 404"

I have tried another Windows 10 PRO computer with the same results.  Both of these computers are on the same workgroup right now.  The Win 10 Home laptop can't be put in a domain, but I BELIEVE I should still be able to connect it to the server for backup and file serve. 

I've read a lot, but most has to do with problems with the connector software breaking or not working or not installing correctly, but I can't even get the software off the server to install. 

Waterskier1

Tuesday, May 19, 2020 11:17 PM

Answers

• I could not fix the problem.  I ended up reformatting all the drives and performing a fresh install of WSE 2016. I'm still rebuilding all the files/ folders. 

Waterskier1

Sunday, June 7, 2020 2:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

On your WSE 2016, please open IE and access connect webpage via below formats, confirm that if you can open the webpage. It is helpful to identify if this website is available:
    1. https://<WSE 2016 IP address>/connect
    2. https://127.0.0.1/connect

If problem persists, please open IIS Manager on WSE 2016, right click your server name on left side bar, then, click Refresh. Or, click Stop to stop it first, then, click Start to re-start it to check the result. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 2:30 AM
  • Thank you for your response.  

1. When I enter https://10.3.3.32/connect (the ip of my WSE 2016 server) using IE (I haven't used IE on the server before, so all setting were default) I get 

There is a problem with this website's security certificate  I then clicked:

Continue to this website (notrecommended).  A window pops-up:

Windows Security

iexplore

The server 10.3.3.32 is asking for your user name and password.  The server reports that it is from Digest.  There are fields for me to enter my User Name and Password, which I did, and then clicked OK.

I then got an Internet Explorer Message stating:

Content from the website listed below is being blocked by the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration.  The box for Continue to prompt when website content is blocked is checked.

I then went into IE Security settings and Trusted 10.3.3.32, which when closed brought up:

The webpage cannot be found.

The same events happen when I enter https://127.0.0.1/connect into IE browser. 

I have restarted the server 15 - 20 times.  It seems that I can "reach" the server, since it "seems" to be responding with the login pop-up.  I confirmed that if I enter an invalid User Name/Password that I don't proceed further.

This morning I turned on the WSE Server, and had the following errors (I think they are all related to assignment of an IP of 10.3.3.32 to the Server via Reserved that IP in my router, bound to the Server MAC address:

DNS-Server-Service  The DNS server could not open socket for address 10.3.3.32

DNS-Server-Service  The DNS server could not bind a TCP socket to address 10.3.3.32

DNS-Server-Service  The DNS server could not bind a UDP socket to address 10.3.3.32

DSFR  The DFS Replication serviced failed to contact domain controller to access configuration information.

ADWS  The computer is now hosting the specified directory instance but Active Directory Web Services could not service it. 

I'm hoping that the above will lead you to a resolution.  I'm new (only my second day) with WSE 2016, but have used WHS 2011 for over 6 years.  But never had or knew how to dive into details like above.

Thank you, 

-Rick

Waterskier1

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 3:31 PM
  • Hi,

The security message is due to security configuration on Windows Server, it is by design. We can disable IE Enhansed security configuration for your server via Server Manager -> Local Server. Then, open IE and open its Internet Options confguraiton, select to Security tab, un-select Enable protected mode and save the change.

Above configuration will lower your server security configuration, just for test propuse. We would recommend you to change it back to original settings once you complete the test. 

Based on your description, if WSE itself can not access default connect webpage, we may suppose that your IIS website/configuration about it is crashing/damaged. 

I want to confirm whit you if you had manually changed the IIS configuration? Is it a newly installed WSE system? 

If there is available system backup before IIS relate change, it is recommended to restore from backup to undo the change and check the result. 

Besides, please open IIS Manager -> <your WSE name> -> Sites -> Default Web Sites -> Connect, please confirm that if this sub-folder is existing.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 22, 2020 8:54 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang  

Sunday, June 7, 2020 1:48 PM
  • I could not fix the problem.  I ended up reformatting all the drives and performing a fresh install of WSE 2016. I'm still rebuilding all the files/ folders. 

Waterskier1

Sunday, June 7, 2020 2:20 PM
  • Can you post an ipconfig /all from the server and the workstation you are trying to connect to the server?

Mariëtte Knap [alumna Microsoft SBS MVP]
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way | DNN MVP 2019

Sunday, June 7, 2020 2:57 PM