none
change project owner for existing project RRS feed

• Question

• i have changed project owner for a existing project by going to the custom PDP which contains that field. When I go to the project again it shows the new person as owner. But the new owner does not get access to the project site. I know I can give him access but ideally he should have got access. Also when I look at the jobs in Manage Queue Jobs, the owner is shown as the previous person.
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:03 PM

Answers

• You might try going to Server Settings>Project Sites, select the project and click "Synchronize".
    • Marked as answer by pwa guy Monday, November 28, 2011 3:45 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 11:32 PM

All replies

• So when you changed the owner did you just hit Save or did you hit close and check the project back in as well? just a Save would not have published the change.
    Brian Kennemer – DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:06 PM
  • i did save, checkin and publish as well.
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:13 PM
  • is there something else that i should do to change the project owner?
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:34 PM
  • No. That is pretty much it. Can this new person open and edit the project?

just to check you did edit the Owner field and not some custom field with a name like owner, right? that happens way more than you might think. :-)

endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:36 PM
  • The name of the field i have edited is Owner. How do i check if it is the actual projectowner field?Interestingly in MSP_EpmProject_UserView the ProjectOwnerName is new person and ProjectAuthorName is old person...

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:47 PM
  • I only ask in case you have a custom field that has a name that is something like "Project Owner" that might be confused and inserted into a view by accident.

just to check... got to Server Settings | Operational Policies | Project Site Provisioning settings.

there you will find a check box at the  bottom:

"Check to automatically synchronize Project Web App users with Project Sites when they are created, when project managers publish projects, and when user permissions change in Project Server."

Is that checked or unchecked on your server?

endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:59 PM
  • That is checked. I gave new person direct access to project site as he could not wait. he did publish the project successfully. But the jobs show old person as owner. As i said the ProjectOwnerName and ProjectAuthorName fields are confusing me.

I did try this in our dev and the behaviour replicated. am i missing something?

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 6:10 PM
  • Hello,

I tried following steps and seem to be working fine.

1.      Created a project plan as X user as owner.

2.      Verified workspace site of the project plan for list of users

3.      From PWA opened project plan and navigate to Project Information link

4.      Changed Project owner to user "Y", saved and check-in the project plan.

5.      Verified the workspace site and found user Y is added.

I think the issue is could be related to your custom PDP page, try using out of the box Project Information and updating "Project Owner" from the same page.

I did verify that changing project owner does not change project author

Project Author and Project Owner are two different entities, generally the person who created the project plan is the Project Author, one has to changed it manually by navigating to back stage and selecting advance properties using drop down option under Project Information

Thanks,

Hrishi Deshpande

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 9:19 PM
  • You might try going to Server Settings>Project Sites, select the project and click "Synchronize".
    • Marked as answer by pwa guy Monday, November 28, 2011 3:45 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 11:32 PM
  • Go to PWA Site  and Open Project Center-Click on the Project for which want to change the Owner name-Click  on Project Information page-Click on edit Option and Change the Owner Name and Click on Save.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 12:07 PM