none
WSUS & Windows 10 Nightmare - Is it just me? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All.

I support a few small businesses.Their environments are a mixture of all new 2016/Windows 10 configs or 2012r2/Windows 10. The one thing that they all have in common is that ever since Windows 10 upgrades, WSUS is constantly  ...well ...crap!

Always red triangles, always not reporting. The only things that seem to fix this is to delete the software distrib folder etc etc. WSUS just used to be something that you install, then forget about ...I cannot afford the time to manage it like this ...it's driving me up the wall.

Anyone living this nightmare, or is it just me? Any solutions? Are people just giving up on WSUS with Windows 10?

Many thanks for your thoughts!

Doug.

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 9:23 AM

All replies

• 1. Check your WSUS servers for updates. WSUS servers should be patched with latest patches

2. Then check whether the update settings are applied or not to client PCs

3. If update settings are applied correctly, then check communication part(WSUS and client PCs. allow WSUS ports through your network)

3. All of above are OK, then check WSUS log for find errors. Then you can follow up solutions as per error in WSUS log(C:\windows\windowsupdate.log))

refer below for more Troubleshooting. You will be able to fix your issue by referring below,

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Troubleshooting-WSUS-d63da113?redir=0 

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 11:47 PM
  • Are you performing the proper WSUS maintenance including but not limited to running the Server Cleanup Wizard (SCW), declining superseded updates, running the SQL Indexing script, etc.?

https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/how-to-setup-manage-and-maintain-wsus-part-8-wsus-server-maintenance/

I'd recommend reading the whole 8 part series, along with other guides on my site.

WSUS purrs along in my setup, and approving updates is all that I do now. The next day or 2, most of the systems update. This includes feature upgrades. All of my 90ish systems that I manage are all on 1903. Keeping up to date every 6 months is as approving the update for my test group, wait 2 weeks, if no complaints, approve to the rest. All are updated within a couple of weeks (except some offline laptop stragglers which I nudge the departments to bring them up online). Pretty painless now, although back in 2015/2016, it was much more difficult. I'd say since 1703, it's been relatively easy.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    https://www.ajtek.ca
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 12:55 AM
  • Hi,

If the problem you are experiencing is that the client is not reporting to the WSUS server properly, please refer to the following steps to check:

1. The WSUS server is running the following services:
      - WSUS Service
      - Background Intelligent Transfer Service

2. Make sure the WSUS server is reachable from the client. 
      Try to access the following address from a client computer on a different network via a browser: 
      > http:// WSUSserverFQDN:PortNUM/selfupdate/iuident.cab
      And make sure you can open/download the file. If this is not possible, it may be that the current client computer cannot resolve to the WSUS server.

Reply back with the results would be happy to help.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 2:02 AM
  • Hi Doug,

Any update is welcome here.
    If the issue is resolved, share your solution or find the helpful response "Mark as Answer" to help other community members find the answer.

Thank you for your cooperation, as always.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 2:24 AM
  • Hi. thanks for all your replies. I've been very busy at the mo, but it looks like I will have to delve a lot deeper into the issue than I wanted. As I mentioned, this is happening on most of my sites ...they can all see/access the wsus server and all the services are up and running - as stated, deleting the distrib folder clears the issue. Not sure about updates for wsus though....
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 7:26 AM