none
Assigning profile picture for all domain users using Group policy RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to apply the company logo to all our users' profile pictures using GPO. We created one share folder with the appropriate permissions and the filename "user.bmp". This is done by GPO Computer Configuration/Preferences/Windows settings/ Files. created with Replace option and also update option.

While we checking client machines GPO applied successfully but there is no result. Permission level we checked all fine. in the Event Viewer, we found on the warning message.

Event ID: 4098, Group Policy Files

"The computer 'User.bmp' preference item in the 'Logo {5B710835-EEF0-43BE-839A-240DEF208BE8}' Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070003 The system cannot find the path specified.' This error was suppressed."

Thursday, July 11, 2019 11:42 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    For windows 10, please refer to the following article, replace both user.png, user-32.png, user-40.png, user-48.png, and user-192.png to your custom picture to see if it helps.

For your reference:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/90186-change-default-account-picture-windows-10-a.html

Tip: This answer contains the content of a third-party website. Microsoft makes no representations about the content of these websites. We provide this content only for your convenience.

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Leenas Le Wednesday, July 17, 2019 9:55 AM
    Tuesday, July 16, 2019 10:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

which share permissions did you configure ?

I just tried to reproduce this but worked fine for me. in my case i put the target file in SYSVOL (lab) where i can go sure everyone has read access.

But your message says cannot find the path specified. Look like there is still some kind of permission missing or there is something wrong with your filepath.

regards, pat

Thursday, July 11, 2019 12:44 PM
  • Hello,
    Thank you for posting in our TechNet forum.

In addition, I noticed the source file is "C:\picture\User.bmp" instead of a shared file.

If "C:\picture\User.bmp" is not existed on client, we will get the error message. Please make sure the file is existed on all clients or put the file to a shared folder.

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 12, 2019 5:31 AM
  • Hi,
    If this question has any update or is this issue solved? Also, for the question, is there any other assistance we could provide?

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Monday, July 15, 2019 8:08 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your inputs. I have changed again using full shared path and picture name. It's worked for me now in windows server 2008 r2 and windows 7 clients using group policy, the same policy applied in windows 10 machine both the policy and the default image also changed successfully, but the user profile logo picture is not changing the old default picture only available. I tried GPupdate /force and other things. This couldn't work for me on windows 10 machines. 

Any other workarounds.

Thanks & regards,

Lee

Monday, July 15, 2019 10:58 AM
  • Hi,
    For windows 10, please refer to the following article, replace both user.png, user-32.png, user-40.png, user-48.png, and user-192.png to your custom picture to see if it helps.

For your reference:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/90186-change-default-account-picture-windows-10-a.html

Tip: This answer contains the content of a third-party website. Microsoft makes no representations about the content of these websites. We provide this content only for your convenience.

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

• Marked as answer by Leenas Le Wednesday, July 17, 2019 9:55 AM
    Tuesday, July 16, 2019 10:32 AM
  • Hi Daisy, 

Thanks for your information. I refereed and followed above mentioned link it worked for me. 

Thanks & Regards, 

Lee

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 9:58 AM
  • Hi,
    Thank you for your update and marking my reply as answer. I’m very glad that the information is helpful and the problem has been solved.

As always, if there is any question in future, we warmly welcome you to post in this forum again. We are happy to assist you!

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 10:27 AM