none
Remaining Work distributed unevenly

Question

• I am trying to find out how MS Project handles planned, actual and remaining hours in a very simple scenario. I have a 5 day task, Fixed Duration, with a single resource assigned with 10h work. As expected the work is spread evenly at 2h per day.

Now I want to simulate progress and delay. I move the Status Date to the end of day 3 and use "Mark on Track" to update progress. Again as expected I see Work at 2h/day over the 5 days, and Actual Work at 2h/day over the first 3 days. Now I delay the end date of the task by 2 further days (by overwriting the Finish Date).

I expect to see the Remaining Work spread over the 4 remaining days (2+2) at 1h/day

What I actually see is 2 days at 0.44h and the last 2 days at 1.56h

Why is this?

Thanks

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 1:45 PM

All replies

• JeClarke --

I CANNOT duplicate the situation you describe.  After updating the progress using your method, then I changed the Duration to 7 days.  Microsoft Project applied the Remaining Work at 2 hours/day as expected.  What version of Microsoft Project are you using?  And have you applied the latest updates to the software?  Let us know and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 6:34 PM
  • Hi Dale

We are using MS Project for Office 365 MSO (16.0.11231.20164) 32-bit

I cannot see if the latest updates have been applied, and have no influence on that but I would assume the company keeps it up to date.

Did you try the second part of the test, increasing the remaining duration by two days to a total of four, with remaining work unchanged at 4h? That is the actual problem, because I would expect the 4h to be spread evenly at 1h/d but it isn't. Instead I get:

0.44h    0.44h    1.56h    1.56h

Thanks,

Jeremy

Thursday, May 16, 2019 8:34 AM
  • Jeremy --

Look at my last reply.  I changed the Duration from 5 days to 7 days and the Remaining Work was distributed evenly at 2 hours/day.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, May 16, 2019 12:00 PM
  • Hi Dale,

I think your model is different.

I have Remaining Duration of 4 days (2 original + 2 additional), and Remaining Work of 4 hours (10h less the 6h already worked on days 1-3)

There is no way that can give me 2 hours/day over the remaining four days. What I expect is 1 hour/day. What I get, and don't understand, is the distribution in my previous message (0.44h    0.44h    1.56h    1.56h)

Is there any way I can send you a screenshot? That might make it clearer.

Regards

Jeremy

Friday, May 17, 2019 8:52 AM
  • JeClarke --

In your original post, you stated that the Task Type is Fixed Duration.  On a Fixed Duration task, when you change the Duration, Microsoft Project will always recalculate the Work.  In your case, when you added two extra days to the Duration, this increased the Work.  So, there should be 2 hours/day of Work on each of the remaining 4 days of the task.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, May 17, 2019 1:12 PM