none
MS Project Trial RRS feed

• Question

• I teach Project Management to undergraduate students.  In one course they need to become proficient with MS Project so that they are able to produce and understand Earned Value Management (EVM).  Our university, in partnership with Microsoft, enables students to employ MS Office 365 without an initial charge.  Those few needing MS Project are also allowed a 60 free trial of MS Project 2016, which allows them to complete the one required EVM course.

However, some students who do not use MS Office 365 find that downloading MS Project 2016 deletes files created in older versions of MS Office.  Question #1:  What MS Office configurations (versions) allow downloading and installing MS Project 2016 without conflicts?

Question #2:  Options for MAC users?  Since this is a one-time course requirement, most students do not have a windows environment installed on their MACs, so I have pointed them to open source alternatives (Project Libre).  I would rather all students have access to MS Project 2016 as that is the professional standard.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 2:07 AM

All replies

• Crane,

I surely do not have any magic answers for you.  Probably best source of advice and help would be the IT staff at your university?  They probably can get Microsoft's assistance?

You say "2016 deletes files created in older versions of MS Office".... When you talk with IT, I recommend you be more specific and state exactly what files are deleted by the download. Frankly, I'm surprised downloading something could delete files, especially "MS Office" files. I've never noticed files getting deleted during a download. IT will need that information from you.  You mention "conflicts". IT will need to know those in detail also. Project 2016 does have technical requirements (documented by Microsoft). Finally "MS Office 365" is a marketing term for an online service.  There are no specific versions of Microsoft Office apps (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.); but as part of your subscription to O365 you can install the current versions of Office as offered by that subscription.  O365 is not required to use Microsoft Project.

Re Mac users ... Project 2016 needs to run on top of Windows, and to run Windows on a Mac (as I do), you need to do it with Parallels, VMWare, or use Bootcamp to install a "bootable" version of Windows. (all software applications, even Mac applications, have "underlying" requirements, and for Project it is Windows).  If the students don't have Windows and Microsoft Project available to them for this course which requires use of Project, then they aren't meeting the pre-requisites, I guess.  Or you teach use of Project and Project Libre as part of the course curriculum. 

A big part of Project Management is planning, and planning for taking this course is part of the drill.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 5:44 AM
  • Hi Crane, 

Installing a newer version of MS Project doesn't delete any files, though it might overwrite and update some office shared components, but nothing that should have a negative impact for the user.  On my PC I'm running Project 2007/2010/2013 and 2016 with no problem.

Re Mac, I concur with Rob.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 6:34 AM
  • Thanks, Rob.  I also have MS Project 2010 and 2016 installed without issues.  The basic problem may have been a student who did not follow the download/installation procedure exactly.  

Appreciate your suggestion to work with IT - that's the next step.

Thanks for your consideration and good information.

Crane....

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 7:56 PM
  • Thanks, Ben!  I'll follow your and Rob's suggestions and suggest the University tailor the course to be more specific on instructions and support offered to students before the class is offered next.

Appreciate your jumping on this for me!

Crane

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 7:58 PM