none
fixed duration + resources question RRS feed

• Question

• probably a simple solution, but I was having problems getting it to work.

Say I have a certain task that i know the duration for (4 days) and the resources I want assigned (4 people), is there a way for it to auto populate the duration as (4 people x 10 hr days X 4 days ) = 160 hrs?

when I select the task and remove the default 1day? duration after assigning the people to the task and then editing the dates to where i want them, it only defaults back to 8 hrs and then selects the same date as my finish time.

I have tried editing the task and instead of using fixed units (default) i have tried fixed duration as well as fixed work, along with both effort driven and not, so far it has not done what I would like it to.

Monday, December 1, 2014 3:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Here is how you should proceed:

• Create the task entering the duration (not the dates). The start date should be triggered by a predecessor or the project start date if it is the first task of the project.
    • Then assign the 4 resources at 100% and validate.

Effort driven means that if you add or remove a resource (AFTER assigning resources on the task), the overall amount of work will be kept and splitted among the resources.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by efrizzell Monday, December 1, 2014 4:20 PM
    Monday, December 1, 2014 4:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Here is how you should proceed:

• Create the task entering the duration (not the dates). The start date should be triggered by a predecessor or the project start date if it is the first task of the project.
    • Then assign the 4 resources at 100% and validate.

Effort driven means that if you add or remove a resource (AFTER assigning resources on the task), the overall amount of work will be kept and splitted among the resources.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by efrizzell Monday, December 1, 2014 4:20 PM
    Monday, December 1, 2014 4:05 PM
  • that was it, I was looking at the "actual work" and "duration" columns instead of the "work" one.  so that explains why it did not show.
    Monday, December 1, 2014 4:21 PM