none
Automatically changing the owner of a project RRS feed

• Question

• Here is the situation:

1. A project exists in Project Server with Dale as the owner.

2. Kathleen is assisting Dale with his projects, she is also an administrator of Project Server. She went into this project to make some updates, saved it and published it, and it automatically changed the owner from Dale to Kathleen.

Why is the owner automatically changing and how do we prevent this from happening?

Thanks!

Megan

Megan D

Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Megan,

first: this should not be the case....

Can you reproduce that with different persons and projects?

I can remember a customer reporting a similar issue some time ago.

If it is reproducable you could try it with a newer patchlevel - if you are not up to date. Even if I cannot remember a issue like this mentioned in cumulative update release notes.

Kind regards

Christoph

Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCSE, MCT | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

• Marked as answer by meduncan42 Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:17 PM
    Friday, January 11, 2013 9:37 PM
  • Hi Ben,

I strongly disagree. The only thing that changes the owner of a project (apart from changing him on purpose) is the "save for sharing" feature in Project Professional. When you save the plan back to the server you become the new oner. And even that I think is either a bug or bad design.... ;-)

Regards

Christoph

Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCSE, MCT | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

Monday, January 14, 2013 7:39 AM
  • Hello,

I agree with Christoph, the project owner does not change on publish.

Similar issue here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projserv2010setup/thread/93948d35-8785-4f64-8e07-72b5fb7203f8

Thanks

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

Monday, January 14, 2013 5:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Megan,

first: this should not be the case....

Can you reproduce that with different persons and projects?

I can remember a customer reporting a similar issue some time ago.

If it is reproducable you could try it with a newer patchlevel - if you are not up to date. Even if I cannot remember a issue like this mentioned in cumulative update release notes.

Kind regards

Christoph

Friday, January 11, 2013 9:37 PM
  • From memory, the last person who published the project is the owner, which would verify what Megan is saying.   There is no way to stop this happening, though of course you can change the owner back by editing the owner field in PWA.

HTH,  Ben.

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Monday, January 14, 2013 6:17 AM
  • Hi Ben,

I strongly disagree. The only thing that changes the owner of a project (apart from changing him on purpose) is the "save for sharing" feature in Project Professional. When you save the plan back to the server you become the new oner. And even that I think is either a bug or bad design.... ;-)

Regards

Christoph

Monday, January 14, 2013 7:39 AM
  • Hello,

I agree with Christoph, the project owner does not change on publish.

Similar issue here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projserv2010setup/thread/93948d35-8785-4f64-8e07-72b5fb7203f8

Thanks

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

Monday, January 14, 2013 5:36 PM
  • Assignment owners may change on publish, depending what has been updated by the person publishing but I agree that the Project Owner should not.  I have heard of this happening however, and would be keen to here of a reproducible set of steps that makes it happen.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:08 AM
    Owner
  • Apologies, this was an incorrect post, not sure what I was thinking about!

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 6:14 AM
  • I have this problem here...did anybody get to solve it?

Thanks!

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 6:27 PM